My Journey to Genesis and beyond! G5.3, G2.2 Jrs..

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Disclaimer: Not paid by Genesis, nor am i gaining financially from this. I actually hate writing. and would rather be listening to music :(
But i got so much pleasure using the Genesis product that i want to share my joy for music lovers everywhere..
Just a lazy audiophile/music lover review..not responsible for grammatical errors.:p

Just want to say a big "Thank YOU' To Gary Koh, Genesis Advanced Techologies, CEO, for keeping the "Genesis'brand alive , continual improvements/refinements/product support on the existing/discontinued products, and if i'ven't experienced it and hard to believed.. his innovative and unconventional electronic line too, which i will shed some light further down the on this thread..

I generally don't get too emotional, but it's a life changer for my family..
I was listening to my old records which hasn't seen the stylus in over 16 yrs, and it sounds so real, transported back to the venue.. OMG!!
You know, women have way better sense than us guys .. and their sense of hearing are unrivaled.. and they remembered EVERYTHING...hahaha
She was cooking lunch , approx 60' away from the speakers, and commented how good and live the LP's sounded..

They all loved the Genesis 2.2 Jr's... WTH!! Thought it's just a man's sport.. this audiophile hobby of ours.

They are enjoying all the music along with me, especially my kids, it's so startling real it's uncanny spooky even when we are not sitting at the "Sweetspot" like nearly all the audiophile speakers out there.
Now i don't have to lock myself up in my dungeon and sitting all alone .:)
If there's one thing i really hate to do is just doing things alone, i actually hate to be alone.. i rather have companions , sharing what i love doing.

It started when i decided to get "my" speaker replaced with something better, and the kids are grown ,and i want to explore what is out there in the "Wild , Wild World of Audio", went and listened to all the hi end speakers from 15-200k + within my geographic locale.. and they were all "OK", generally not that much better than what i had...

and then one day, while browsing WBF,

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?13578-Meeting-for-Music-and-Coffee-in-SFO

noticed Genesis is coming to SF, decided to check out what the story is on those Genesis speakers.. noticed the familial resemblance to the Granddaddy "Infinity IRS" , which has utterly flattered me in the early 80's at one of the HiFi shows on the east coast..which till now, still ranks top among the very best speakers i've ever heard.

Snapshot of the event: http://www.stereophile.com/content/genesis-and-linn-elite-audio-systems-san-francisco

We actually got there way before the showtime, and Gary didn't even show up yet, haha.
Get to meet the fine crew at Elite, and finally, Gary came in, and we introduced ourselves.. and we basically get more info on his products and gain insights on his company, his thought process, checking him out if he's real.. or just a BS artist.. you guys know how that goes, sometimes a person can sound fantastic online, but got a nasty attitude..or blowing hot air.. etc up close in person..

Well, what do you guys think?

Is Gary good or bad?

Saga to be continued..

have to go eat dinner now.. sorry..

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have met with Gary at last year's New York Audio show, and he is a gentleman in person as well as online.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great story...look forward to reading more. Congrats...I think its brilliant that everyone in the family is enjoying music. You get to enjoy family time, music...and your system...all at once. We do the same here.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Nice! I'm a life-long Genesis guy myself, having gone from the Infinity RS2.5 in college, to RS1b, to G200.5. OK, not all 'Genesis' per se, but a shared lineage. In addition to being my favorite speaker, also my favorite band ...... how's that for symmetry :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Wilson. Glad that your family is enjoying the system as much as you are..... take the time to discover music, enjoy yourself, and discover each other's music. That's the best part of a family that enjoy music together.

I look forward to following your saga!

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
OK, sorta back from dinner.. hahaa

So yeah.. Gary is sorta quiet and reserved from far way.. upon meeting him, genuinely a down to earth fellow.. willing to let out what’s on his mind, and just kept to his product lines, never badmouthing his competitor’s nor their products.. which is sorta hard not to do right? Talk smack bout your competing products..

Which BTW, need to vent this out..

I went to a few Audio shops earlier that month with the wife, and you know the first thing they asked is what’s your equipment list.. and I’ll tell them what I have.. X brand speakers, Y brand amps, preamp, Z brand wirings.. etc.. invariably they’ll say.. how much better their product line is.. and my equipment sucks… OMG…. And.. I tell them I want to listen to those Top of the Line speakers.. you know what they say.. Errrrr.. you need to come back and make an appt cuz we need to set them up properly.. Jesus.. If a customer wants into the door.. and they want to listen to some speakers genuinely interested and ready to layout some serious cash.. and you go and tell them to come back with an appt time… and if I’m the owner.. I’ll smack them on their heads.. people these days don’t know how to serve the customer.. O Ya… some of them salespeople have a attitude thinking we can’t afford the stuff that we want to hear.. WTF.. I know sometimes, there’re people that just not a buyer just wants to take up their “precious time” cuz they have no other customers around anyways.. but I’ve already told them my stuff is almost 20 yrs old , and I want some TOTL speakers!

So yea..audio retailers need to train their sale staff better. No wondered people want to go buy on the internet.. dealing with those fools really makes your day…

Enough ranting .. hahaa

Be back shortly in my continuing saga… stay tuned!

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
O ya. Breaking news, hahaha

Just want to share this with you guys..

Haven't been to any hifi shows for 10+ yrs, and found out Genesis will be bringing one of their reference systems out to CA, and of course it's in my neck of the woods. So sure.. went to the California Audio Show, Gary was showing his Genesis system there , and found out Gary invited Lyn Stanley.

I really didn't know who she was until that day, get a chance to meet and have dinner with Lyn and the Genesis crew, and she's just fascinating and quite a good person that has gone through life , hence her emotion really shines through her songs, and most of her recordings are one take too. I'm sure if anyone get a chance to meet you , you will understand why she's very special.. BTW, she really did self finance her recordings, pressings, etc.. So i hope our community will support her.

On the Genesis floor, Gary played a variety of his musical hits, not the audiophile variety, thankfully!
I must say, i really picked the right speakers, it played everything just so naturally, and god.. with those 1400 W monoblocks, really makes the Jr's sing... i'm going to see if i can borrow one of those to compare with my valve amps, and i got another 1200 W / ch, Class A amp that will be coming in soon for comparison. but so far, what i can hear in a showroom, Class D really works, sounds just liked my tubes in many aspects, with non of the flaws that i can find that people complain about.

So the story was to play the MOTHER of her new LP, which Lyn droved 10 hrs+ fighting LA traffic, arriving at 3 am !! Wow! What dedication and commitment!

Somehow, the Mother won't play on the TT, must be the negative of the Mother or whatever, it just slides right off... So....what to do??
Luckily, Lyn brought the mastertape of the recordings, yes, the mastertape, even better than the Mother!! Now , where to find a tape deck , and not the 1/2" variety, but the 1/4".. which nobody has at the show.. Quick thinking Gary calming whipped out his cell, and dial to Ki Choi, master of tape decks which the industry always call for help! Ki overnighted the unit down, and you figured then it's smooth sailing right?
Noooo, one of the wires on the connectors apparently detached , and the frantic search for a soldering iron is on. thank god, Norm from Rutherford found one from one of the vendors, and the ever resourceful put on his tech hat.. and went soldering that sucker back in.

Finally the tape was ready, and it's truly special listening to the mastering tape, no noise, no clicks, no pops, everything that came out was liked Lyn was singing in the room!!

Note to self, R2R next??

It was a truly spectacular event.. showcasing not just how good Lyn is, but demonstrating how neutral and true to the source the G 2.2 Jr's are. That was a pretty good size room, and i was thinking Gary should have brought the Dragon instead. I was wrong, it delivered the power, dynamic, microodynamics,soundstage, coherence, etc all in spades. Just good sound everywhere in the room.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=763041203739830&fref=nf

Well done, Gary!

If you look at the last video carefully, some of you may recognize Neil Gader from TAS.

This is his review on that event

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/neil-gaders-cas-2014-show-report-1/

"Some of the best sound was reserved for the very nicely dialed-in Genesis room (above) which featured the stunning 2.2 Junior loudspeakers, a towering, line source dipole with servo –controlled powered woofers ($85k), all Genesis electronics, Absolute Fidelity racks and wiring. And spinning the vinyl was the debut of the Vertere Acoustics SG-1 turntable. The design of Touraj Moghaddam Vertere’s CEO and founder (and formerly of Roksan) the SG-1 is a transparent Lucite construction comprised of three main upright pillars with a fixed top plinth that suspends a sub-platter via elastic bands, not unlike the uprights in current SME designs. The arm and platter are additionally isolated from the plinth on its own sub chassis, the motor independent as well. There are two models and various upgrades availabre that can lift the price appreciably higher. The configuration here was SG-1 Standard Record Player + SG-1 Motor Drive w/Pulse-R cable + SG-1 Tonarm with Handbuilt wiring $ 29,795. Playing freshly minted vinyl , and original master tapes by recording artist Lyn Stanley, (who also entertained the crowd with recording studio anecdotes) the sound from this collection of 1950's standards was rich, mellow, and composed. The sonics were also resolutely sensitive to the finely shaded vocal dynamics of the Julie London-esque stylings of the talented Ms. Stanley."

That all for now..

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Wilson for the saga. I've been out of the country - travelling off the grid, so haven't followed-up for a while.

You might like to tell us what the rest of your system is, and also not what's "better" about the new speakers, but what you like and what you prefer about your new speakers than the old.

I'm sure you have quite a story of all your recent experiments as you've fallen off the bandwagon for almost 10 years - and then got a brand new pair of speakers.

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi Guys!

Speakers are fantastic~!

Never thought i would say this, but you need a different moniker for your speakers, how does " Multitask Hi End Speakers for the new generation" :)

Whole family is enjoying the music with me, no need for the sweet spot with head vise anymore.
Coming from my old Grand Slamms to the JR's are a revelation, everything just sounds right, and no giant pianos or instruments , in their proper proportions and scale.

Current equipment : ARC Ref1, ARC Ref 150 SE monos. ARC Phono, Sonic Frontier SFCD1, and the old VPI TNT /Vibraplane upgraded to the Vertere TT
Vertere and JR.jpg

for some reason, the Vertere TT on top on the Vibraplane does not sound as lively as it is off. Anyone knows why?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Guys!

Speakers are fantastic~!

Never thought i would say this, but you need a different moniker for your speakers, how does " Multitask Hi End Speakers for the new generation" :)

Whole family is enjoying the music with me, no need for the sweet spot with head vise anymore.
Coming from my old Grand Slamms to the JR's are a revelation, everything just sounds right, and no giant pianos or instruments , in their proper proportions and scale.

Current equipment : ARC Ref1, ARC Ref 150 SE monos. ARC Phono, Sonic Frontier SFCD1, and the old VPI TNT /Vibraplane upgraded to the Vertere TT
View attachment 19416

for some reason, the Vertere TT on top on the Vibraplane does not sound as lively as it is off. Anyone knows why?

Simply gorgeous setup Sir! I've not heard the G2Jr's, but I would love to one day. Enjoy them in good health!:D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Simply gorgeous setup Sir! I've not heard the G2Jr's, but I would love to one day. Enjoy them in good health!:D

John, you're now much nearer Seattle now. Calgary's a short drive away. If you come here for the Dragon Bon Voyage party, you get to also meet Wilson, and there's a pair of G2Jr's you can listen to at Joe's place.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, you're now much nearer Seattle now. Calgary's a short drive away. If you come here for the Dragon Bon Voyage party, you get to also meet Wilson, and there's a pair of G2Jr's you can listen to at Joe's place.
I wish I could attend Gary, but it's not in the cards right now. I need to settle in first, but I'm hoping to make a trip to Seattle in the not too distant future.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing