Clever storage solutions

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. Nathan Myhrvold, the ex-CTO of Microsoft had this great presentation in 1990s that said, "software is like a gas. It grows to fill whatever space you give it!"

By the same token, it seems that no matter how big your house, one eventually fills it. Using structured storage products can allow one to take advantage of building up, and keeping things organized.

I have been trying to find good plastic storage boxes, especially those that fit in the drawers of my desk and cabinets but most are a poor fit. Many have sloped sides that waste space. Or cost good bit of money.

I then discovered this "cute" boxes that are well built, have near square sides and the lids snap with a simple mechanism that has a great feel. They take very little effort to snap on and off unlike many other plastic boxes. Importantly the boxes come in many sizes allowing one to optimize/organize any size storage area. Then name of the company is most self-descriptive: "the really useful box!" Here is a not so good picture of what they look like:

There is a better one of their factory which unusually so, is located in UK! http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/

So the good news is that they should be universally available outside of US. I buy mine from OfficeMax chain. I wait until they have some kind of sale like 10% off above certain dollar amount and buy a whole bunch at a time. Unfortunately they run out of stock on some of my favorite sizes so I have to go there often. Amazon also carries it but from what I recall, shipping was a problem cost wise or something like that. Strangely, sometimes smaller boxes cost more than the larger ones! Prices are as low as $1.99 for the smallest one to something like $16 for the biggest. Most of the sizes I use are in $3.99 to $4.99 range. I probably have 50 of them in different sizes.

I use these to organize cables, connectors, CDs (after ripping for storage), small tools, computer parts, photography components, etc.

I also like the color choices which I use to categorize things:

Let me know what storage solutions you like.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
This is awesome Amir! I've been looking for a better version myself and these look great. Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing