Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Dear David
Thank you so much. If I ever get back to Utah (I like to ski) I'll be sure to look you up.

Ahhh smart man. Get the system then the wife. My good friend, Mark, has two systems in his girlfriends house - one in the main room and one, his vintage system with 57's and a Garrard 401 etc, in a smaller bedroom. Records are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I was around there one day mucking around with boxes, as you do (he was actually getting a Minus K installed under his Spiral Groove) and commented - "mate how do you get away with this" when looking around at the chaos we had created. He calmly looked at me and replied "She knew what she was getting into" . Yup. That was the approach I should have taken.

Sadly (or wonderfully) I have been married 29 years to my teenage sweetheart, so audiophilia came during the marriage, and so has been the subject of negotiation at all times. I'm currently constrained to what I can have either side of our entertainment unit, and what I can fit in it. We live in a small apartment, and try and lead a small life, so current run a pair of Eclipse TD 712's (nearest thing to my beloved 57's I could fine) with some Benchmark AHB2's. The AHB2's aren't an endgame amplifier by any means - they measure well (if such things are important to you) and are dead quiet but lack that "life" that the better amplifiers give you - and usually with tubes in my experience. Unfortunately I need some heft to control my drivers. Time will tell. I am chasing the DSD smoke atm, and have a Merging Nadac being delivered tomorrow, so am excited about that. I miss vinyl - nothing sounds like vinyl but vinyl - but have enough good friends with excellent vinyl rigs to annoy from time to time. One even got the plums of my classical collection, so I can go around and listen to Moravec on Connoisseur Label, and get my fix.

Thanks again for the invite. Very kind. Naturally reciprocated. I'm sure if you make it to Sydney you will have lots of audio friends to visit and show you around. I think Neville and Taksil have the type of systems you would love, and there are one or two others that may peak your interest. We are blessed in Sydney - lots of top blokes with great systems who like to share them over a cold beer or a glass of wine. Or a lemonade if you are a wowser, like me. I bring the tambourine :rolleyes:. You sure would be welcome.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reactions: tima

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David
Thank you so much. If I ever get back to Utah (I like to ski) I'll be sure to look you up.

Ahhh smart man. Get the system then the wife. My good friend, Mark, has two systems in his girlfriends house - one in the main room and one, his vintage system with 57's and a Garrard 401 etc, in a smaller bedroom. Records are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I was around there one day mucking around with boxes, as you do (he was actually getting a Minus K installed under his Spiral Groove) and commented - "mate how do you get away with this" when looking around at the chaos we had created. He calmly looked at me and replied "She knew what she was getting into" . Yup. That was the approach I should have taken.

Sadly (or wonderfully) I have been married 29 years to my teenage sweetheart, so audiophilia came during the marriage, and so has been the subject of negotiation at all times. I'm currently constrained to what I can have either side of our entertainment unit, and what I can fit in it. We live in a small apartment, and try and lead a small life, so current run a pair of Eclipse TD 712's (nearest thing to my beloved 57's I could fine) with some Benchmark AHB2's. The AHB2's aren't an endgame amplifier by any means - they measure well (if such things are important to you) and are dead quiet but lack that "life" that the better amplifiers give you - and usually with tubes in my experience. Unfortunately I need some heft to control my drivers. Time will tell. I am chasing the DSD smoke atm, and have a Merging Nadac being delivered tomorrow, so am excited about that. I miss vinyl - nothing sounds like vinyl but vinyl - but have enough good friends with excellent vinyl rigs to annoy from time to time. One even got the plums of my classical collection, so I can go around and listen to Moravec on Connoisseur Label, and get my fix.

Thanks again for the invite. Very kind. Naturally reciprocated. I'm sure if you make it to Sydney you will have lots of audio friends to visit and show you around. I think Neville and Taksil have the type of systems you would love, and there are one or two others that may peak your interest. We are blessed in Sydney - lots of top blokes with great systems who like to share them over a cold beer or a glass of wine. Or a lemonade if you are a wowser, like me. I bring the tambourine :rolleyes:. You sure would be welcome.

In my past career I visited Sydney, Perth & Cairns several times for work and always promised myself to return as a tourist, so we might meet up Andrew. i wonder how a vintage Scott receiver would sound with your speakers...

david

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Dunno - I am curious. Scott Receivers are rare here. Do they have good dampening? My problem is the bottom end - yes I know you can only get so much bottom end from a 4.5 inch driver - but with the right amp they can sound very coherent but not in that effortless horn way. Which I adore.

When Steve says he left with a new reference that is exactly what I would expect. My favourite system among my friends in a small space is a Cessaro & Shindo system. It is heavenly. So I have no doubt I would be instantly smitten by yours.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dunno - I am curious. Scott Receivers are rare here. Do they have good dampening? My problem is the bottom end - yes I know you can only get so much bottom end from a 4.5 inch driver - but with the right amp they can sound very coherent but not in that effortless horn way. Which I adore.

When Steve says he left with a new reference that is exactly what I would expect. My favourite system among my friends in a small space is a Cessaro & Shindo system. It is heavenly. So I have no doubt I would be instantly smitten by yours.

I can't comment on how good their dampening is only that they're wonderfully musical. They match vintage JBL speakers perfectly.

david

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
David,

There are a lot of extreme systems on this forum, but none are more impressive than yours.

I love your devotion to a vintage approach, instead of buying the latest most expensive toy.

I just recently heard a pair of replica Klangfilm speakers at a friends that looked like a miniature Bionor, and they sounded wonderful.

I cannot imagine how good your system sounds.

I have always listened to direct radiators, moving towards open baffle many years ago. I never really got the horn approach until recently. I am much more appreciative of the need for efficiency and dynamics.

Best Regards

David

Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

There are a lot of extreme systems on this forum, but none are more impressive than yours.

I love your devotion to a vintage approach, instead of buying the latest most expensive toy.

I just recently heard a pair of replica Klangfilm speakers at a friends that looked like a miniature Bionor, and they sounded wonderful.

I cannot imagine how good your system sounds.

I have always listened to direct radiators, moving towards open baffle many years ago. I never really got the horn approach until recently. I am much more appreciative of the need for efficiency and dynamics.

Best Regards

David

Thank you David really appreciate the kind words.

david

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Hey David, you have a lot of experience with Lamm. Could you describe the sound signature of their equipment, amps in particular? Difficult to audition where I am and I might just have to spring for a used pair without hearing.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hey David, you have a lot of experience with Lamm. Could you describe the sound signature of their equipment, amps in particular? Difficult to audition where I am and I might just have to spring for a used pair without hearing.
There's no strong signature with Lamm electronics and you'll hear by far more real resolution, ie tonal range and tonal depth than any other electronics. Extremely natural tone and timbre with real defined bass, absolutely the most natural sounding electronics I've ever heard. I highly recommend using the amps with their preamps, you'll lose out on many Lamm attributes with other preamplifiers. You might think being a dealer makes me biased but it's the music lover in me that's biased and this is my 22 year experience with the brand and why we don't sell or recommend any other electronics.

david

Reactions: advanced101

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Thank you. I have been reading too many SET reviews describing “warm”, “tube-like”, etc. Good to hear Lamm isn’t like that.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I remember asking ddk about transparency of ML3 before I bought and he never answered me. What I like most about ML3. 1) Transparency with air like the air in your room (assuming that you are not a smoker.) 2) Tone that is just right. Vivid but not dark. Many say Lamm is dark but they themself using amps that they say not dark but end up adding more sauce, more ketchup or additional tone with gears enhancing tone. I really don't get that. 3) Notes, voice, trumpet, cello, sax that come alive with energy and sense of physicality. Classic amps that eventually stop any itch to try another amp given you have a set of high enough sensitivity speakers to play with.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I remember asking ddk about transparency of ML3 before I bought and he never answered me. What I like most about ML3. 1) Transparency with air like the air in your room (assuming that you are not a smoker.) 2) Tone that is just right. Vivid but not dark. Many say Lamm is dark but they themself using amps that they say not dark but end up adding more sauce, more ketchup or additional tone with gears enhancing tone. I really don't get that. 3) Notes, voice, trumpet, cello, sax that come alive with energy and sense of physicality. Classic amps that eventually stop any itch to try another amp given you have a set of high enough sensitivity speakers to play with.
And a good enough source ! Transparency is a unforgiving mistress ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And a good enough source ! Transparency is a unforgiving mistress ;)

Is interesting that any conversation makes you think of your mistress

Reactions: Folsom and Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There's no strong signature with Lamm electronics and you'll hear by far more real resolution, ie tonal range and tonal depth than any other electronics. Extremely natural tone and timbre with real defined bass, absolutely the most natural sounding electronics I've ever heard. I highly recommend using the amps with their preamps, you'll lose out on many Lamm attributes with other preamplifiers. (...)
david

Yes, if we reduce the "real resolution" to tonal aspects, the Lamm's are winners. And we fully agree on the preamplifier comment - their amplifiers need their preamplifiers. Even the M1.2 Reference. I have found that I sometimes prefer it directly from the DCS Vivaldi outputs rather than using a preamplfier other than the L2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing