Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Is it an optical illusion as your listening chair appears To be off center (to the left of center)? Very impressive system !

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is it an optical illusion as your listening chair appears To be off center (to the left of center)? Very impressive system !

Appreciate you looking and taking the time to post here Tom! Heard a lot of good things about your speakers from my overseas customers.

Good eye on the photo, it's not an optical illusion the room widens and opens up in the back leading to the other rooms. The camera was placed off the main are in that alcove/corridor? for this shot, the listening chair is centered with main room and the speakers. Personally I like sitting off center to the right for listening in this room.

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was looking @ the pictures from the first page; I fell off my hammock outside between two apple trees.

Then I re-positioned myself in it and held my head firm in place with a gentle breeze blowing in the background.
I started thinking; if he had put words with his pictures and with each piece of gear and some particular music recordings, could he have wrote a book?

This is most impressive and it had my mind floating above ground and beyond. I can only imagine...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I was looking @ the pictures from the first page; I fell off my hammock outside between two apple trees.

Then I re-positioned myself in it and held my head firm in place with a gentle breeze blowing in the background.
I started thinking; if he had put words with his pictures and with each piece of gear and some particular music recordings, could he have wrote a book?

This is most impressive and it had my mind floating above ground and beyond. I can only imagine...

What a beautiful post Bob, I'm humbled. Thank you! And you know you're always welcome to stop by.

david

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Is this the near field set up? Never mind, the answer is yes unless there's a soccer field out of frame and that chair in the foreground is a bass trap. :)

Tim

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is this the near field set up? Never mind, the answer is yes unless there's a soccer field out of frame and that chair in the foreground is a bass trap. :)

Tim

Nearfield setup is the other room (other link) 13 x 16 x 8.

david

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Nearfield setup is the other room (other link) 13 x 16 x 8.

david

Yeah, I get that. Just my way of saying my goodness those things are huge!

Tim

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yeah, I get that. Just my way of saying my goodness those things are huge!

Tim

Sorry Tim, I missed it and in reality you weren't wrong. The room's too small for them and seating position is near field for speakers designed for a 500 seat theater. It's all relative.

david

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
David, I hadn't seen your post when it first came out. What a spectacular system! I also have horns, SET, vinyl, but nothing like this. Probably the only thing where I have more is my vinyl collection. I am particularly envious of your ability to switch cartridges among your different TT's. I could never do that and finally had to hire someone to do my cartridge setups.

Larry

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, I hadn't seen your post when it first came out. What a spectacular system! I also have horns, SET, vinyl, but nothing like this. Probably the only thing where I have more is my vinyl collection. I am particularly envious of your ability to switch cartridges among your different TT's. I could never do that and finally had to hire someone to do my cartridge setups.

Larry

You should let me know when you want to unload some of your collection Larry :)!

There's really no mystery or grand mastery to changing cartridges, its a learnt skill. If we ever meet I can show it to you in 10 minutes, all you need is a protractor and depending on your arm a cartridge scale.

david

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I would find it next to impossible to determine which table I wanted to listen to. Well played sir, well played.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
David,
I'm just curious. How does the Goldmund Reference table stack up now against some of the more modern tables/arms you have? And what cartridge are you using with it, if I may ask?
Marty

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
I'm just curious. How does the Goldmund Reference table stack up now against some of the more modern tables/arms you have? And what cartridge are you using with it, if I may ask?
Marty

Hi Marty,

Things stack against one another in different ways. Sonically the Goldmund Reference was right at the top and still is. Turntable tech hasn't changed in decades. You should remember that The Golden Age of analog recordings started in the late 40's, peaking in the 50's and declining sometime in the 60's. These top designers already knew everything and LP was the dominant source in high end at the time. If it was great then it still is today. Specially here that we're talking about products that are Beyond simple high end. So the modern turntable isn't really modern, just current production. I'll get deeper into the design when I get to in the series that Steve pointed out and why its different from the rest. Currently I have a Denon DL-S1 on it that I installed 8-9 years ago, prior to that was an Ortofon Rohmann.

david

Reactions: MPS

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
My dear soul mate, fantastic images, beautiful tables. where are the cars?
maybe we should start a blog called "out of control needles", ha ha...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My dear soul mate, fantastic images, beautiful tables. where are the cars? ?
maybe we should start a blog called "out of control needles", ha ha...

You're getting deep in personal waters my friend, some fetishes should remain private among soul mates;)!
david

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Appreciate you looking and taking the time to post here Tom! Heard a lot of good things about your speakers from my overseas customers.

Good eye on the photo, it's not an optical illusion the room widens and opens up in the back leading to the other rooms. The camera was placed off the main are in that alcove/corridor? for this shot, the listening chair is centered with main room and the speakers. Personally I like sitting off center to the right for listening in this room.

david

Thanks for the nice feed back, vis a vis the comments from your over seas clients regarding our speakers. Anyway, not sure if it was in this thread, or another but I recall someone remarking on all the SME 3012R arms being used on a lot of your tables and you responded that you really like this arm. I currently use a 312 S SME arm on a custom table that features a VPI DIRECT DRIVE mounted in a massive EBONY PLINTH. I am currently having a new plinth made that will allow for 2 arms. I will continue to use the SME 312 S, however I want to add a second arm. Was thinking of using the older 3000 SEREIES that you favor, however there isn't the proper space to use the 3012, so was thinking of going with a 3009 . Do you think that this arm would work with a mono cartridge, and if so, do you have any recommendations for a good mono cartridge ?. I am currently using a Miyajima Kansui in the 312 S. I have heard good things about Miyajima;s mono cartridge however would like to explore a few different options.

Cheers............TOM

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
David,

Maybe this thread could be moved to your sub forum along with system two to keep this stuff all together ? Over the top my friend !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing