Fantasy Turntable Shopping

stewart0722

Jan 12, 2013
Someone gives you 11 grand on the condition you buy a turntable and
arm with it (not talking retail.......after discount......) you plan
to carry your Lyra Kleos to your next table......

For me the ones at the top of the list are:

Palmer 2.5 with Audio Origami Arm (list 11995, can get for about 11000)
Basis 2200/Vector w/ Micrometer (list 11900, can get for 9900)
Oracle Delphi Mk VI w/ Turbo VI Pwr Supply and SME 345 (list 13275, can get for 10600)
Michell Orbe SE w/ SME V (list 9990, can get in mid 8s I think)
Merrill Williams 101.2 (list 7600) (1100 for 2 clamps) (arm Dynavector DV507 MK II list 5350) total=14K, can get for ??
(also considering Merrill Williams 101 at about 1700 less list)

arm/table combos not set, might take arm from one, apply to another......

Replacing VPI Classic 3. Did the 3D arm wand upgrade and all I can say is
I am not connecting with the music right now, so in all seriousness.....VPI
fan advice won't go very far with me.......I want something different after
three VPI tables in a row.....

What are your thoughts????? Can't wait to see all the opinions/ideas.....

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I need more money for a fantasy if not I would go Sota used and a sme arm V

Last edited:

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
SME 20/3a

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A pity you do not live in Europe - you could get my mint SME30/2 and SME V with original wood crate and manuals for a nice price!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oracle Delphi Mk VI w/ Turbo VI Pwr Supply and SME 345 (list 13275, can get for 10600)

The first time I heard an Oracle TT around 1986-87 I was taken. I've wanted one ever since.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
SME 20/3a

Agree, that would be my first choice unless you could find a used 20/12 with V-12 arm. That would be even better.

I'd also consider a reconditioned Technics SP10 with new plinth and V-12 arm. It would probably have to be a Mk II for that price.

A Basis with Vector arm could also be a good option.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
If you want to connect to the music, Roksan Xerses 20plus with Artemiz tonearm and Reference Power Supply.

+1. The ONLY component that has remained constant in my system for many years (upgraded along the way to full current spec). It's rhythm and pace are simply extraordinary and makes music soooo enjoyable! Great detail and dynamics as well. Totally agree with Gary's thoughts.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The Roksan Xerses has been constant in my system since 1985 - from the first generation through the current, I've owned all 4 variants. I've made side-trips along the way, but have always come back. There's always something attractive about another turntable, but ultimately to connect to the music in an emotional way I always come back to the Xerses.

stewart0722

Jan 12, 2013
Gary,

What cartridge and phono stage are you using?

I've seen your table in some of the avshowroom videos of your various rooms @ shows......
Found it interesting that the arm on the Air Force one you said was by the same designer
as the Roksan arms.....

Thanks

Eric

Mark Jones

Jul 9, 2014
Agree, that would be my first choice unless you could find a used 20/12 with V-12 arm. That would be even better.

I'd also consider a reconditioned Technics SP10 with new plinth and V-12 arm. It would probably have to be a Mk II for that price.

A Basis with Vector arm could also be a good option.

Too bad you don't live in Canada, I could look after three of these suggestions.. ;-)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I agree that for the price you have in mind, a maxed out Roksan would be hard to beat. There are reasons why it sounds the way it does. They actually designed it. A lot of other makers just make something to sell, or so it seems.

If you got lucky enough to find one of the heavy Micro Seiki string drives for that price, that would also be a good way to go. I suspect they sell for more than that, however.

Mark Jones

Jul 9, 2014
Man, I love those old thread drive Micro Seiki's, so cool.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Since you are in the US

The 30k demo Spiral Groove table on audiogin for 12k.

Hotstamper

Jul 31, 2014
I recently heard a table/arm that would easily satisfy my $11K tax-refund-fantasy: Oswalds Mill Anatase with 12" Schick tonearm.
Around $10K. Absolutely frickin sublime. Exciting. Vivid. Fun. Real "PRAT" and all. Utterly different from the VPI sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing