Wilson for the Professional

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been using Wilson Audio speakers since '06, but honestly before that, I really did not like the Wilson sound. The only dealer here in the PNW at the time in the 90's carried Krell and would always pair the Watt/Puppy 3 or 5 with the Krell and it was not to my liking. Maybe it was the electronics or the digital converters that still hadn't been fleshed out yet.

I kinda' dismissed Wilson for a while, relying on my trusty Magnepan and Joseph Audio speakers. About the time when the Sophia 2 and Watt/Puppy7 came out, I feel the whole Wilson Audio house sound started to change in a direction that was more enjoyable and more true to the source. As a professional, I've been listening to live mic feeds since '76.
What pushed me over the edge was a review by Fremer in Stereophile in Nov '03 of the Pass Labs XA-160. I had just purchased a pair of XA-160's and this line caught my eye: "Based on my listening, I recommend the XA160s to owners of WATT/Puppys, especially the 7s."
I went down to my local dealer and asked if I could borrow a pair for a while. They set up a pair of W/P7's in my room and it was a total transformation. I had never heard Wilsons sound so good! I liked them so much, I bought the whole shebang... Watt/Puppy 7, WATCH Center, Surrounds and WATCH Dog... with no accommodation pricing!

wilson.jpg

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Nice pic. I value your opinion as a pro and a reviewer. I listened to the Wilson alexia three times and just do not like the sound overall. It's clean , clear. Even ok imaging but there is something to them that just makes it not right with me.
I have had infinity Rs 1B and irs V for many years. And the sound is just pleasing to me. Electro statics get close just a tad thinner then what I have. Imaging on the inifinity and real sounding texture does it for me. But I am not a pro or a musician
Either so my only way of knowing truth is just live acoustic. And this is where I am sure your far more correct then I ever will be. But we both do like the lampi sound . I love my B7. So we do have some common ground .
Al

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have had infinity Rs 1B and irs V for many years. And the sound is just pleasing to me. Electro statics get close just a tad thinner then what I have. Imaging on the inifinity and real sounding texture does it for me. But I am not a pro or a musician
Either so my only way of knowing truth is just live acoustic. And this is where I am sure your far more correct then I ever will be. But we both do like the lampi sound . I love my B7. So we do have some common ground .
Al

Years ago I had the RS II-b. Some of the best speakers I've had. They were paired with Haflers and later Adcom monos

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Funny how things go parrallel some times. actually the first pair was the 11B. I then sold them for the 1B and then bought the irs v. I kept both. And guess what amps , david halfler. I built all,of them includeding the updated preamp . I still have that stuff . Great memories .

Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing