Why I Hate Karaoke

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used to tag along with my Dad all the time when I was little. In our home town that meant going to parties and attending fiestas. Back in those days entertainment was made up of singers and acoustic guitars (think Mariachi less the horns) playing and singing mostly local music. Once in a while there would be a piano in the house and those got played too. At Fiestas entertainment would culminate in showdowns between various competing marching bands in the plazas. These days its all about karaoke machines playing droning melodies done with General MIDI, the poor singers singing along to soulless accompaniment. At the Fiestas, horrid stacks of PA playing Pop drivel with boosted highs and one note bass.

Urban legend has it that the very first Karaoke machine was invented by a Filipino then later popularized in Japan. It was based on a 2 track compact cassette which had instruments on one track and vocals on the other summed to mono. You could just kill the vocal track to sing along. It just makes me sad how IMO it has weakened our musical culture. :(

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
What you are describing is what I attribute to the "American Idol" phenomenon. Everybody thinks they can sing and be instantly rich and famous. I love bands and performers that have voices that are not exactly classically good but have energy and soul. These seem to me to be lacking in so many top stars today.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Karaoke is annoying, yet a lot of fun. It's a quirky form of entertainment and why bash it, really? It's not live and will never be that, but it's not trying to be either. You have the odd "show-off" that thinks he/she is so good their voice must be heard, but the vast majority of people go up on a dare and don't mind embarrassing themselves for the sake of a few laughs. Lord knows I have!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've done it too and yes it can be a hoot. It's the pervasiveness that really bugs me. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've done it too and yes it can be a hoot. It's the pervasiveness that really bugs me. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I think it's much bigger and pervasive in your part of the world then here and in Europe, so I can appreciate your disdain for it. It was pretty big about 15-20 years ago, but it's quite rare now I see a place that has a Karaoke night.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
John when you see this replace people you'll understand me more. These things are rented out extremely frequently in rural areas despite the availability of good musicians. I'm not being ungrateful to the hosts. What bothers me is that somehow it has become the norm. :(

4442285_f260.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Take heart, Jack. No matter how old you get, you'll never be as old as me. Karaoke, which can be as annoying as chewing aluminum foil is, thankfully, not that big here. The killer of live music is the DJ. They come in to a company party, wedding, whatever, with a decent sound system and a great collection of tunes on hard drive. Depending on what's on that drive, they can be a classic rock band, a modern country band, techno, disco...or they can move from one to the other at will. They can fill requests with the click of a mouse...and it always sounds just like the record, which is what most audiences want -- music they're familiar with, performed in the familiar way. All musicians know this. Some work it, profit from it. Others put their own stamp on everything they touch and seek a following of serious music lovers who appreciate that.

There was a time when being in the first camp got you all the cush gigs paying good money. These days, those guys who just want to be as faithful a cover band as possible find themselves getting killed by one guy with a hard drive and a PA. The more inventive, original bands - whether they're playing original material or not - are getting the good club gigs. But still, sadly, the big money below stardom? Tribute Bands. Put together a group of guys who, when dressed properly can at least make you imagine Springsteen and the E Street Band, KISS, etc., and put on a good show, and the pay day gets a lot better.

Sad? Yes. But way better than Karaoke.

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What gets me now are Grammy awards for DJ's..... Really?

I was a DJ back in the day. I know what it takes.....David Guetta, Skrillex, Deadmau5... pulling down millions a year!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing