Hawaii... Which Island is Best ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What's the best time of the year to go there and get the best deals?

I've been to all of the islands and Maui remains our favorite. The only time I avoid Hawaii is January-February as it is often raining and cooler.

Short of this the weather in Hawaii fluctuates by only 12 degrees per year. I used to own a condo in Maui

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
What's the best time of the year to go there and get the best deals?

The next two months.

If you like:

Shopping/restaurants - Oahu
Scuba diving/golfing - Hawaii
Hiking - Kauai
All of the above - Maui

Here's a picture from my listening room:
PCC FV.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Kapalua?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've been to all of the islands and Maui remains our favorite. The only time I avoid Hawaii is January-February as it is often raining and cooler.

Short of this the weather in Hawaii fluctuates by only 12 degrees per year. I used to own a condo in Maui
Although this is the best time (esp Feb) for whale watching

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
To paraphrase M. Stanton Evans...
"Hawaiian islands are like sex; when they are good, they are very, very good. And when they are bad, they are still pretty good."

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Makawao region is on our short list of possible places to live when (if?) we move. I'd love to be able to visit next time we are on Maui!

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

Yes, most of the other forums say Maui is the best Island too but the cost of living is high there I heard too...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What Devert said. We have a house on the *th (security reasons ;) )Fairway of Waikele GC in Oahu which also happens to be next to the Outlet mall. Jim's is by Hawaii Prince GC. My favorite outer island destination with the kids is Maui particularly the Wailea area. When it's a romantic getaway with the wifey, it's Kauai where we honeymooned (Princeville). For Golf it's Maui again by a mile. The Kapalua complex gives you many different looks. Oahu courses are a bit generic with the exception of the Links at Turtle Bay near the North Shore and the much too difficult Ko'olau on the slopes of the Ko'olau range.

As I go for Golf, shopping and foodie-ing my favorite months are the cooler months.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Jack,

Nice to know we have something common.

Before we moved to HI 26 years ago, my wife and I honeymooned in HI.

Our favorite romantic place was the Kona Village Resort on the Big Island, but it got wiped out by the 2011 tsunami.

Haven't been to Lanai since Larry Ellison bought the island, but it's another romantic getaway.

Before I retired, I went to Molokai once a month. Great place if you want to get off the Grid.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've yet to visit Lanai or Molokai. I'd love to some time. When I want to get off the grid typically I do that here in the Philippines. I go to either Amanpulo or one of the resorts in the Coron chain in Palawan. I'm trying to see if I can carve out some time next year to stay in Wailea again. Kapalua is just too far from everything else. Where in Maui do you live?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
see post #6 (or 14)

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
We honeymooned on Maui in 1967 at a small resort with grass thatched cottages. 99% of what you see today on Maui hadn't been built yet. The changes, on all the islands, are sad. Native Hawaiians no longer own their lands. The song "Waimanalo Blues" (covered by many Hawaiian artists) says it well.

In 1979-80, we sailed from Bora Bora, Tahiti, to to Hilo on our 40' ketch, and then spent 6 months working our way through the islands to Kauai which is still today my favorite. For many pleasant weeks we were anchored near the beach in Hanalei Bay, before setting sail for San Francisco, completing our 2 year odyssey.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...Native Hawaiians no longer own their lands...

It is very sad, but I don't think native Hawaiians have owned their land since the early 20th century or even earlier. One of the most disgraceful episodes in US history IMHO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing