What CD or LP do you keep coming back to for another listening session?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It varies, depending on my mood. As to David Lindley, caught him a few times back when he was playing for the 'California Rock Mafia' in the 70's. We went to hear him a couple years ago down the road at our neighborhood club, doing a one man show. He may be one of the best stringed-instrument players I've ever heard perform live. My wife, who didn't have a clue who he was, walked out of there saying "He was like going to hear Yo-Yo Ma." Dude is a virtuoso.
Lot's of the choices listed above have been 'go to' records for me over the years, including RLJ's self-titled (countless pressings of it), Between the Lines is a brilliant record, saw Janis back when the album was released in the mid-70's (remember, she posted on this forum when I bitched about the Boxstar reissue)?
Current favs (which are not intended to be 'reference recordings' in the 'audiophile sense' but just shows you how bent my sensibilities are) include an old pink label of 'Tons of Sobs' by Free, a very early pressing on Zappa's 'Straight' label of Alice Cooper's "Love it to Death" (this is a killer record), the Classic re-do of the old Audio Fidelity 'Satchmo Plays King Oliver'- St. James' Infirmary. I just dug out my 'first pressing' :))) of Disgraceland on Wanghead Records. Apparently, this thing is now crazy collectible. I bought it at CBGB's back in the day. Lo-Fi to be sure, but there's something about listening to 'Purple Haze' with the lyrics of 'Green Acres' that never fails to make me laugh.
Guess it isn't exactly a shaded doggy or a mercury living presence. If I want to impress somebody I'll pull out Way Out West at 45 rpm, or play that track 'In the Wee Wee Hours' from Hoodoo Man Blues. The cigarette smoke from the venue gets in your eyes.
PS: One more- Chris Whitley's 'Dirt Floor' from the album of the same name. Not easy to find, Classic pressed some @ 45 at one point. Slide and voice. Haunting, like the old Skippy James tracks. That one always touches me. He was brilliant and largely forgotten, though his daughter is making up for it. Check Black Dub on vinyl if you don't have it. Brian Blade on drums, and the EP of I'd Rather go Blind (you will find it online in Belgium) is pretty killer too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing