No more plasma. What to buy now?

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
One of the things to bear in mind when comparing these things in the store is that they are almost always set to Vivid or Game mode. Super bright. Kodachrome. Grab the remote, try Standard and Cinema. It still won't be a plasma, but it'll be better. Sometimes the Cinema modes are even a bit too dark and need to be adjusted a bit. best bet is to find the mode that's closest write down the settings, go to the Custom mode, set it to match, then begin tweaking.

Or just call a good tech and get it calibrated.

Tim

Very true. You want to see maximum Vivid mode? Walk into a Costco. I swear I burn a retina every time I walk through that place.

Actually, for the reasons you mention (as well as other reasons), I usually don't even bother viewing anything in the stores. There are just too many variables to make any store demo worthy, IMO. When it comes to video I rely almost entirely on objective data and professional reviews/opinions (unlike audio). Though, it would be nice to get a look a perfectly calibrated current LCD against a plasma to see if I can tolerate it.

TV buying used to be easy; just buy the best plasma. I've always been happy with plasma, and LCD has always looked plasticky (for lack of a better word) and smeared to me, but maybe I've just never seen one set up properly.

Thanks for the tips!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing