No more plasma. What to buy now?

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Hello,

For the past ten years or so my go to TV purchases were, without hesitation, the wonderful Panasonic plasma monitors from their professional line. This decision was automatic. I have never considered anything else and over the years have probably purchased about 30 sets for business, friends, or personal use. Sadly they are no more and I have no idea what to consider now. I have a friend who will be in the market for a new TV soon and I don't know what to recommend. I have always had a strong dislike for LCD or LED sets, so unless they can compete with plasma, which, I don't think they do, I'd like to avoid that technology. Is plasma technology really gone for good? Are the Samsung plasma consumer models any good? I don't think pricey OLED or curved screens will last, so not really interested in that tech at the moment, unless I here a good convincing argument.

Thanks

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Saw a comment on another forum ... Plasma is like high def music, LCD is like an MP3 download played through Bose. We all know which one is winning.

I picked up a Panny plasma last year that hopefully will last me until the next new format emerges, or LED gets better and more "analogue" like.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't think OLED is going away. And I'm guessing that a good one, properly calibrated in the viewing room, could get awfully close to a plasma. With that said, I'm hoping my Panasonic lasts a few years.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't think OLED is going away. And I'm guessing that a good one, properly calibrated in the viewing room, could get awfully close to a plasma. With that said, I'm hoping my Panasonic lasts a few years.

Tim

OLED holds the greater promise to replace plasma IMO. Price however seems to be an issue. I will see if I can't catch a couple of Panasonic Plasmas. They are certainly being heavily discounted right now.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was in the market and purchases a Samsung 4K, 65 LCD. Model number is 8550. This set is remarkable in that has none of the horrible artifacts of LCDs. Backlight modulation is perfect for the lack of a better word. Text on black screen looks absolutely stunning with pitch black background. Viewing angle is also excellent for an LCD.

It is also one of the few flat 4K sets. The other is the Sony but unfortunately that set has the usual artifacts.

Importantly the screen is not too reflective.

Samsung Plasmas are also very good but this is the last models they will be manufacturing.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I just had a partial screen failure on my four year old 65" Panasonic plasma. They wanted $2300 to replace the screen. No way. So I spent the last few days looking for a new set. After looking at many of the options I decided on the 79" LG 4K UHD model. It will be delivered this afternoon. The picture looked good in the showroom. I have a feeling that I am going to miss the Panasonic.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Tough time to buy- OLED is probably the best bet, but I'd prefer to wait a year or two longer.

I have a 60" Kuro that is 7 years old, hoping to last another 2-3.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mine was a weird solution. Ordinary LCD for TV and the kids video games, projector for movies worth experiencing on a higher level.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Tough time to buy- OLED is probably the best bet, but I'd prefer to wait a year or two longer.

I have a 60" Kuro that is 7 years old, hoping to last another 2-3.

The problem with OLED I believe it currently limited to 55".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mine was a weird solution. Ordinary LCD for TV and the kids video games, projector for movies worth experiencing on a higher level.

Hey Jack...what projector did you get? Any recommendations if one is 'only' looking for a 6-7 foot projection for now, but with the goal of 7-10 feet later? In terms of quality, shall we say the 'quality equivalent' of either: a) CJMV60SE or b) Gryphon Diablo integrated (depending on what that would cost in projector terms). I hope you can calibrate what I am saying...both quality pieces and neither inexpensive, one is literally 1/8th the price of the other...and neither falls into the uber-price category of separates, etc, either.

Don't mind going 2nd hand if you think that is adviseable from a reliable source (again not up to speed on this stuff...so no idea if 2nd hand or demo is dangerous or not). Thanks for any advice.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Jack...what projector did you get? Any recommendations if one is 'only' looking for a 6-7 foot projection for now, but with the goal of 7-10 feet later? In terms of quality, shall we say the 'quality equivalent' of either: a) CJMV60SE or b) Gryphon Diablo integrated (depending on what that would cost in projector terms). I hope you can calibrate what I am saying...both quality pieces and neither inexpensive, one is literally 1/8th the price of the other...and neither falls into the uber-price category of separates, etc, either.

Don't mind going 2nd hand if you think that is adviseable from a reliable source (again not up to speed on this stuff...so no idea if 2nd hand or demo is dangerous or not). Thanks for any advice.

Hi Lloyd,

Nothing exotic or fancy. I got a JVC D-ILA (pre-3D). Four years and going strong. It's been recalibrated once since it was set up. I accidentally moved it when plugging in a Shunyata Defender. The ol' and dying Toshiba plasma has since been replaced by a Samsung LED. I do prefer the PQ of Plasma but I do not miss the heat they generate. Funny coming from a guy who likes tubes and class A huh? LOL!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd,

Nothing exotic or fancy. I got a JVC D-ILA (pre-3D). Four years and going strong. It's been recalibrated once since it was set up. I accidentally moved it when plugging in a Shunyata Defender. The ol' and dying Toshiba plasma has since been replaced by a Samsung LED. I do prefer the PQ of Plasma but I do not miss the heat they generate. Funny coming from a guy who likes tubes and class A huh? LOL!
Thanks! How much did the JVC retail for?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Somewhere around 5k USD IIRC.

I got the 60" Samsung for less than 2k. Cheap for here. Everything is cheaper in the US :(

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Plasma is like high def music, LCD is like an MP3 download played through Bose.

That's good. I'll have to remember that one.

OLED holds the greater promise to replace plasma IMO. Price however seems to be an issue.

I haven't done a great deal of research on OLED, but my concerns are:

Production quality issues
Price
Life span

I wonder if these issues will improve over time.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
I was in the market and purchases a Samsung 4K, 65 LCD. Model number is 8550. This set is remarkable in that has none of the horrible artifacts of LCDs. Backlight modulation is perfect for the lack of a better word. Text on black screen looks absolutely stunning with pitch black background. Viewing angle is also excellent for an LCD.

It is also one of the few flat 4K sets. The other is the Sony but unfortunately that set has the usual artifacts.

Importantly the screen is not too reflective.

Samsung Plasmas are also very good but this is the last models they will be manufacturing.

Thanks for the reply. This gives me some hope for an LED option. The aesthetic design of that Samsung is nearly perfect: the thinness, the mostly flat black, ultra thin frame. The silver trim is a minor negative, but it's hardly noticeable. I'm going to research this one a bit.

Did you have a plasma model prior to this Samsung?

Disappointed to hear the Samsung plasma are done with as well.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

This is how I'm setup. Got a 47" LG LCD to replace a Panasonic plasma that failed. Lacks the color depth/gradation of the plasma but the blacks don't suck and it's pretty much free of artifacts. Kids appreciate the bigger screen and could care less about the other stuff. Have a JVC pj in the big room, as an aside, watched True Detective on it last night -- very well shot series. I plan on replacing the JVC with a 4k model in the next several months -- hopefully JVC will announce something at CEDIA, otherwise it'll be one of the Sony's.

The Samsung plasmas are extremely good, and their top line LCDs with the anti- reflective screen are as good as I've seen for that tech.

I think OLED can equal or exceed Plasma, but manufacturing on large panels has very low yields at the moment so it's very expensive.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the reply. This gives me some hope for an LED option. The aesthetic design of that Samsung is nearly perfect: the thinness, the mostly flat black, ultra thin frame. The silver trim is a minor negative, but it's hardly noticeable. I'm going to research this one a bit.
I didn't realize it had a silver trim until I read your post and looked the set again :). With the ultra thin frame the picture seems to float in air! At first it was a bit disconcerting but then got used to it and definitely prefer it.

Also, with the finer pixels of 4K set, I was able to upsize the display (and not see the pixels). Our living room is rather small and viewing distance is about 8 feet. The 65 inch fills the field of view quite well giving an entirely different experience.

Did you have a plasma model prior to this Samsung?
No. Video is my other profession/hobby so I am always comparing the state-of-the-art in both types of displays. Before I purchased the Samsung LCD, I spent a couple of hours reevaluating the Samsung Plasma in the store. They have a few problems which continue to bug me:

1. Flicker. LCDs have a solid stable image that Plasma tends to lack.

2. Dither noise. If you get close enough, or the set is large enough, you see the alternating pixels. It makes the image rather busy looking.

3. Automatic Power Control. Plasmas bring down the brightness if too much of the screen is white/bright. Next to an LCD the image immediately looks dull.

Of course they clean the clocks of LCD on black levels and viewing angle. I would love to have that without the other issues but can't. Given that flat panels go in our bright living rooms (I also have a projector and dedicated theater), I have always opted for LCDs.

Disappointed to hear the Samsung plasma are done with as well.
Yes, at CES they had said they would discontinue them and then changed their mind and said they would keep making the current sets.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
I didn't realize it had a silver trim until I read your post and looked the set again :). With the ultra thin frame the picture seems to float in air! At first it was a bit disconcerting but then got used to it and definitely prefer it.

Also, with the finer pixels of 4K set, I was able to upsize the display (and not see the pixels). Our living room is rather small and viewing distance is about 8 feet. The 65 inch fills the field of view quite well giving an entirely different experience.

No. Video is my other profession/hobby so I am always comparing the state-of-the-art in both types of displays. Before I purchased the Samsung LCD, I spent a couple of hours reevaluating the Samsung Plasma in the store. They have a few problems which continue to bug me:

1. Flicker. LCDs have a solid stable image that Plasma tends to lack.

2. Dither noise. If you get close enough, or the set is large enough, you see the alternating pixels. It makes the image rather busy looking.

3. Automatic Power Control. Plasmas bring down the brightness if too much of the screen is white/bright. Next to an LCD the image immediately looks dull.

Of course they clean the clocks of LCD on black levels and viewing angle. I would love to have that without the other issues but can't. Given that flat panels go in our bright living rooms (I also have a projector and dedicated theater), I have always opted for LCDs.

Yes, at CES they had said they would discontinue them and then changed their mind and said they would keep making the current sets.

Now that I think about it, the silver side edge trim is probably a good idea, designed to blend with the wall (assuming wall hung and white-ish walls).

The room this next one is going in has a similarly close viewing distance and 65" is what I was planning. 65" seems to be the new 50".

Interesting to hear that you favor LCD over plasma. I thought the choice of LCD over plasma might have been forced (due to plasma's demise). I have this biased assumption that plasma is, and always has been, superior to LCD (overall), but will reconsider that position based on your feedback. Based on the little I've read about you, I feel there's very good reason to value your opinion. Thanks!

One other question, please: Is LCD motion blur much of a concern these days (particularly with this Samsung set)?

Time for me to go read and do some catching up on today's video technology.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
One of the things to bear in mind when comparing these things in the store is that they are almost always set to Vivid or Game mode. Super bright. Kodachrome. Grab the remote, try Standard and Cinema. It still won't be a plasma, but it'll be better. Sometimes the Cinema modes are even a bit too dark and need to be adjusted a bit. best bet is to find the mode that's closest write down the settings, go to the Custom mode, set it to match, then begin tweaking.

Or just call a good tech and get it calibrated.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing