My Wilson Audio Experiences 2007 - Present

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Well, the Lord did not build me with enough talent to become a professional drummer. I am grateful for the gifts I did receive and among them is a deep love and appreciation for music of various genres; jazz, rock, classical. The way that I have relaxed, de-compressed after a difficult week through the years is to disappear into my music room, close the door, and loose myself in the music's message. I often must get up and play along on my drum kit. This is my drug of choice.
IMG_0389.jpg

When we moved to Texas in October of 1995, I began a relationship with a local dealer, Dallas Audio Concepts, who are Wilson Dealers. In 2007, my system consisted of ProAc D38s and I was looking to upgrade. I set up a listening session on a Saturday interested in hearing the Wilson Sophia-2. The system I listened to consisted of ARC Reference gear (Ref 3, 210s, CD7). My listening notes from that day, March 27, 2007 includes this closing note:

NET: this speaker lies just on the “warm” side of neutral. It has great depth of presentation, not a bit of glare, and GREAT bass. I could live with this speaker for a long time. Better than the ProAc D38 but like a relative.

After a break for lunch, I returned to Audio Concepts where Mark and team had set-up another pair of Wilson speakers, The Watt / Puppy 8. Here is what I wrote in my listening notes:

After a break, I returned to listen to the WP8. Could be one of the best speakers I’ve ever heard. Everything had more detail than on the Sophia-2. Bass was OUTSTANDING. Depth was incredible. I listened to a few minutes of every disc. Unbelievable. Great. The WP8 is more efficient than the other two by quite a large margin. I had to keep turning the volume DOWN. Incredible speaker. Incredible PRICE. Big problem. I would buy this speaker in a heart beat if not for the price

I ended up buying the Sophia-2 in gloss black. Here is what the room looked like at the time:
IMG_0051.jpg

I really enjoyed my system for the next few years with the Sophia-2. It's a very coherent speaker and just sounded great in my room. However, I remembered how much better I thought the Watt/Puppy 8 sounded and had set my sights set on an upgrade. Finally, in 2009, I upgraded to the Watt / Puppy 8. Here is a look at my listening room then:
IMG_0146.jpg

Several electronics upgrades occurred over the next few years and I was very happy with the results achieved in my listening room. The combination of ARC Reference gear and Watt/Puppy 8 with minimal room treatments was yielding excellent results. I travel in my job and had the opportunity to hear the Wilson XLF two different times: at Innovative Audio, NYC; and at Music Lovers, SF. I was truly amazed at how good the XLF sounded. The speaker presented vocals more life-like than I had ever heard, bass definition and extension were as good as I had ever heard, and placement of instruments in a 3-D soundstage was magical. At Innovative Audio, I was able to take the disc that I had just heard on the XLF and take it to the listening room next door to hear it on Sasha-1 that was closest to my Watt/Puppy 8. Even though all electronics were different (mine, the XLF system, the Sasha-1 system) there was a huge difference in presentation. There should be for $200K! Both of these dealers are top rate and were very helpful in providing their perspective on what the next upgrade might be. In January 2013, I got my first chance to hear the Wilson Alexia at Audio Concepts. It was love at first listen. Here is the summary from the listening notes I wrote from that day:

Deep soundstage, placement of instruments is stunning. Solid defined bass, MUCH better treble presentation than the W/P 8. I like the new tweeter. It's not the XLF but certainly a close relative.

I ended up waiting until November 2013 to place my order. I placed the order at the Wilson event held at Audio Concepts that month. Here is a picture of me with John Giolas, Wilson Audio, the night I placed my order:
IMG_0235.jpg

The Alexia were delivered in January 2014. The results I'm getting now in my listening room are very much to my liking. The Alexia sound magnificent in my room. Great bass definition, a warm resolving treble, and as much depth of soundstage that is possible in my room given the set-up. The Alexia sounds very coherent to me. On really good recordings they do "disappear" in the room as we say. Here is a picture of my current set-up:
IMG_0243.jpg

What's next? XLF? I don't know. I'm very happy for now and enjoying my system more than ever.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Nice system. I bet it sounds great. Back in 2007 I had almost the same system - ARC Ref 3, CD7, 110 (you mention you had the 210s, but on the first image I think I can see the 110) + ofc the Sophia 2. Only the cables were different.

I upgraded to Sasha 1, and also had an affair with MSB DAC IV Plus (although with a 5-year long dCS detour). I almost feel like your sonic twin :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great story, great pictures...most of all, great system!!! Thanks for posting. Enjoy!

On a separate note, I see you used to have Finite Elemente Ref racks...pretty great stuff...what is the rack you have now? Any comparison between the two?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Nice system. I bet it sounds great. Back in 2007 I had almost the same system - ARC Ref 3, CD7, 110 (you mention you had the 210s, but on the first image I think I can see the 110) + ofc the Sophia 2. Only the cables were different.

I upgraded to Sasha 1, and also had an affair with MSB DAC IV Plus (although with a 5-year long dCS detour). I almost feel like your sonic twin :)

Adam, thanks for the note. I have followed your posts through the years and enjoy reading your perspectives. Yes, we have had very similar systems from time to time. Audio Twins! You are correct on equipment my equipment configuration. When I had the Sophia-2, I paired them with ARC Ref3, Ref110, Ref CD7. This got me thinking about the ARC gear I've owned during the time period I've owned Wilson Speakers:
ARC Amps - 300.2, VT100 Mk2, Ref 110, Ref210 (now with KT120s)
ARC Pre-Amps - LS25 MKII, Ref3, Ref 40th
ARC Sources - CD3 KMII, CD7

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Great story, great pictures...most of all, great system!!! Thanks for posting. Enjoy!

On a separate note, I see you used to have Finite Elemente Ref racks...pretty great stuff...what is the rack you have now? Any comparison between the two?

LL21, thanks for the note. I really liked the Finite Elemente racks. I thought they worked as advertised providing excellent isolation for components resulting in better sound qualities. The rack I use now is a Steve Blinn Designs. I made the switch when I upgraded from the ARC REF CD7 to the Esoteric stack P-03, D-03, G-0S. These components were too heavy for the signature model that I had. The rack I envy is the HRS SRX. One of these days.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21, thanks for the note. I really liked the Finite Elemente racks. I thought they worked as advertised providing excellent isolation for components resulting in better sound qualities. The rack I use now is a Steve Blinn Designs. I made the switch when I upgraded from the ARC REF CD7 to the Esoteric stack P-03, D-03, G-0S. These components were too heavy for the signature model that I had. The rack I envy is the HRS SRX. One of these days.....

Nice...HRS is great stuff...if you can, HRS actually feel that unless you're going with their mega shelving, creating 'isolation sandwiches' is the most effective...using their M3 shelves/Nimbus Couplers and HRS dampers on top.

I have 14 such isolation sandwiches (1 for each component/speaker), but comprised of a mix of: Stillpoints Ultra 5s, HRS M3X/Nimbus Couplers, HRS Dampers, Artesania Dampers, Entreq Vibb Eaters and 70kg of brass mass damping. Each one a bit different based on the effect it had on the system sound. I think the entire isolation cost significantly less than 1 HRS rack...and there is no way I could house everything in 1 rack.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi awesome story !! I need to get up to Dallas soon and listen to yours !! I've heard the Alexia's...I know they are amazing speakers !

Other than what's shown in the photo...any other room treatments?

I admire you on the racks...I went from a Arcici to Finite Master Ref Pagode to Grand Prix Silverstone F1...racks (and vibe control) play a big role in a system...

Thanks for posting

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Nice...HRS is great stuff...if you can, HRS actually feel that unless you're going with their mega shelving, creating 'isolation sandwiches' is the most effective...using their M3 shelves/Nimbus Couplers and HRS dampers on top.

I have 14 such isolation sandwiches (1 for each component/speaker), but comprised of a mix of: Stillpoints Ultra 5s, HRS M3X/Nimbus Couplers, HRS Dampers, Artesania Dampers, Entreq Vibb Eaters and 70kg of brass mass damping. Each one a bit different based on the effect it had on the system sound. I think the entire isolation cost significantly less than 1 HRS rack...and there is no way I could house everything in 1 rack.

I know there has been much discussion on the sonic benefits of high-end racks. I have heard the improvements for myself with my system. What are the sonic improvements that you heard in your system when you added the HRS shelves, couplers, dampers, etc. Just curious to understand your specific experiences. Thanks.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi awesome story !! I need to get up to Dallas soon and listen to yours !! I've heard the Alexia's...I know they are amazing speakers !

Other than what's shown in the photo...any other room treatments?

I admire you on the racks...I went from a Arcici to Finite Master Ref Pagode to Grand Prix Silverstone F1...racks (and vibe control) play a big role in a system...

Thanks for posting

You are welcome here anytime JFRECH. I would look forward to it. For those who have read JFRECH's posts through the years I can tell you that the results he is getting in his room at present are nothing short of stunning! I know first hand.

In terms of room treatments, I use only the ASC tube traps in the corners and the narrow ASC sound panels on the walls as shown to dampen reflections slightly. Just lucky I guess that it's all I seem to need. I've gotten into room measurement and correction using DSP software Dirac Live and use a filter when listening to computer / Amarra as a source where the filter can be applied. You can judge for yourself if the filter improves the sound or not when you visit. There are some large drop outs (-10db) at 47hz on one channel but not the other, but overall the frequency response of the Alexia in my room is quite good as is the impulse response.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know there has been much discussion on the sonic benefits of high-end racks. I have heard the improvements for myself with my system. What are the sonic improvements that you heard in your system when you added the HRS shelves, couplers, dampers, etc. Just curious to understand your specific experiences. Thanks.

It's all about noise in my own system. Isolation everything took whole segments of congealed music...very pleasant and with excellent tone (IMHO)...and revealed to me detailed lines of music way in the background, it gave me significantly more decay in notes, and then once ALL the isolation started to fall into place...a really cool thing started to happen.

Large scale orchestral started to Center itself between the speakers and settle 15-30 feet further back. Before, with vibration he system could not hold the location of a note because it was too indistinct...once that vibration stilled in the equipment, the signal had more locational cues for the speakers...and then once the speakers started to still, en those cues really snapped into place.

The signal also becomes denser...like more signal, less hash or extraneous noise around the signal...which is just really almost like vibration when it finally disappears (which of course is when you notice it...because it's gone). Hope that helps a bit.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I absolutely love the sound from Alexia's. They might be my final speaker, someday. I wonder how fantastic they would sound with my Pass amps? Maybe I'll find out one of these days. Great system you have!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I enjoyed your story. Don't feel bad about the drumming part, I failed in my quest long ago to become a pro guitar god...lol
Your room looks great and I bet the Alexia sound grand. You will have many happy years of listening.

Last edited:

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi everyone. There is a significant system upgrade I would like to share with you. This past Friday, my dealer, Audio Concepts, Dallas, delivered HRS SXR rack with two amp stands. I honestly can't believe the difference in sound qulaity I'm hearing. I know the topic of audio racks has been widely discussed but the differences I'm hearing with the HRS are profound: images of instruments and voices are now more "present" to the point of changing my perception of the mix of the song that I had come to know; bass is better in that it has become more solid and better forms the foundation of the music. Here are some pictures:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...great setup...and yes, am a big fan of HRS...would love to go for one of their racks someday, but i have happened across the path i have taken which mixes their shelves with Stillpoints, and i am quite happy for the moment. But honestly, i do think someday i MUST hear an all HRS rack system. Enjoy! And congrats.

As for 'what's next' as you say...sure would be fun to see an XLF in your next photos!!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
First congrats !! When you where in Austin last you mentioned this was on the way... Your comments do not surprise me, similar experience I've found with my Grand Prix audio racks. Profound is the exact word I used ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing