Reed Arms

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am looking for a second arm for my table Vertere is on short list but the price has gone up in Canada to 48 k .

it has been suggested to me to get a Reed arm in the video they seem unique has anyone had any experience with Reed arms. I have and am keeping my Tri Planner arm and Sme V any thoughts

i've owned 3 Reed arms and think highly of them.....but have moved on......

i've also owned a Tri Planner.

are you asking about other tonearms too? or looking just for feedback on Reed? i don't want to derail your thread unless i'm answering a question you are asking.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Suggest away I have derailed so many posts it is only fair.

first off; you can't go wrong with a Reed. it's a fine tonearm and i preferred it to the Triplanner. it was more lively, separated things more distinctly in the soundstage, and resolved more detail. i had a 2A and 2 different 2P's.

i prefer the Durand tonearms myself. i've owned 4 Durand Tonearms, and still own 2 of them. i have a stock Telos for my mono cartridge, and a Sapphire Telos for my stereo cartridge.

i'm deep into RTR tape with a couple of Studer A-820 master recorders.

the Telos gives my RTR a run for it's money.....and sounds better much of the time. not sure there can be higher praise than that.

in general the Durand tonearms have an amazingly low noise floor and high levels of inner detail. the energy they project, particularly microdynamics, is unmatched. and everything is presented with such ease and subtlety.

if you get a chance to audition a Durand Tonearm, it will be worth the effort.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks I have not seen or heard a Durand

I see you live west of Toronto. i do know a Durand tonearm owner in Ohio (who is also a WBF member). if you have an interest I'd be glad to hook you up.....just PM me. there may be Durand owners in the Toronto area too.

definitely worth the time and effort to hear.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Reed tonearms are very nice. I have a 3Q and used to have a 3P. They are well built and sound great. Lots of options on colors and arm wand material as well.

Another arm to check out is the Shroder LT. I've had mine for about six months and love it. Best arm I've heard.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I wonder how shroeder LT compare to Shroeder reference . I definitely prefer the beauty of shroeder reference

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I wonder how shroeder LT compare to Shroeder reference . I definitely prefer the beauty of shroeder reference

from listening to the LT at RMAF a couple of times I can say that the LT has much better bass, both slam and articulation, than the Schroeder Reference which I had in my system for 6 months. the Reference had what I would term as somewhat 'flabby' bass (while certainly very sexy and listenable), the LT's bass is tight and tuneful and more energetic.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
from listening to the LT at RMAF a couple of times I can say that the LT has much better bass, both slam and articulation, than the Schroeder Reference which I had in my system for 6 months. the Reference had what I would term as somewhat 'flabby' bass (while certainly very sexy and listenable), the LT's bass is tight and tuneful and more energetic.

Thanks Mike. Shroeder LT will be on my radar. Funnily the retail price seems to have increase so much if I m not mistaken . Another arm I find interested is Primary control from Holland

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Reed tonearms are very nice. I have a 3Q and used to have a 3P. They are well built and sound great. Lots of options on colors and arm wand material as well.

Another arm to check out is the Shroder LT. I've had mine for about six months and love it. Best arm I've heard.

Hi Garth, as a former TriPlanar owner...I'll have to agree with audio archer here...my Schroeder LT is fantastic to listen to. I have not heard other arms like the Durand...so can't offer a opinion...the LT does things (resolution and transparency) in the inner and outer groves that likely I think I can never return to a normal pivoted arm.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the offer but it says your PM is tuned off

not sure exactly what the problem might be, but I did just PM you.

you do need to scroll down and check the box that says to send the message even though I'm not on your contact list.

I hate PM'ing since it's restricted, but I do respect it is the system we have.:rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing