I Have Been A Wilson Audio Owner Since 1994

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have been a music lover now for over 50 years and have had countless systems over the years and so many speakers that I forget most of them. It was back in 1994 when at the time I was running Thiel CS 7's with large Krell amps. At that time I truly thought I had a system without equal. Then one afternoon my dealer at the time invited me over to his brother's house to hear some brand of speakers that he himself did not carry in his store. I took him up on the offer as I had never heard of Wilson Audio at the time. Suffice it to say that afternoon of music listening at his brother's home was a game changing experience. In the past 50 years I have had perhaps 3 game changing experiences with my sound system. His brother was running Audio Research amps as well as preamp and these were driving Wilson Watt Puppy 5.1's. We were there for hours as I truly had not heard such a coherent speaker from top to bottom such as the WP 5.1. I was also hearing the speaker driven by tubes. It took but a few weeks until I had my Thiel CS 7's sold and a pair of Watt Puppy 5.1's in my sound room

Over these past 20 years I have owned only Wilson Audio speakers and frankly I couldn't imagine myself owning any other brand. I have slowly worked my way up the Wilson Audio product ladder and in that time have owned WP 5.1's, WP 6's, Maxx l's, X1 Series 2 Grand Slamm, X2 series l and now my current X2 Series ll. I have also owned the behemoth Wilson XS subwoofer as well as Wilson Watch center, surround and rears in my home theater.

Interestingly all of my speakers were in Wilson Diamond Black with Black grill cloths until my current X2 Series 2 which is in Black Almondine with parchment gray grill covers.

Here is a description of my former Wilson system which included my home theater

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ull=1#post3412 which shows the very interesting black almondine

Just over 2 years ago my wife and I moved back to Southern California from the SF Bay Area. There was no room for a sound room in this house and the only space available was above my living room which had a 20 foot floor to ceiling height. I put a 9 foot ceiling on my living room and built my sound room above this. My challenge was to build a room that was sufficiently treated as well as under the guidance of an acoustician that my very large Wilson X-2 series ll would fit in my room which measures 15'W x 20'L x 9'H without blowing off the walls of the room . All of my audiophile friends warned me against attempting this as everyone felt the speakers simply overpowered the room. It was at this point that I reached out to the team at Wilson Audio to see if such a project could be carried out successfully. It was my desire to bring this to fruition as I didn't want to get smaller speakers and if I had to it also meant that I would have to sell my amp as they probably weren't going to adequately drive the Wilson Alexia which is what I would have bought if I had to sell the X2's. Fortunately with the help of an acoustician plans were drawn up and the room completed. Not only did it sound great but I was stunned that it sounded better than my last room. I would never have built out the room unless I felt comfort in knowing I wouldn't have to sell my X2's.

The complete description and evolution of my existing Wilson room can be read here....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=191656&viewfull=1#post191656

Some recent photos

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0005_zps564ab091.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0062_zpsbb9c9679.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0063_zpscd634c3e.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0069_2_zps4668cd87.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0070_2_zps08305cee.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/oneobgyn/media/WBF%20Photos/IMG_0072_zps07440d13.jpg.html] [/URL]

I have even had the privilege of hosting Debby Wilson for a listening session at my house. Needless to say she is biased :) as I couldn't get her out of the listening position for the entire evening.

A special photo for me

In closing music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember but it wasn't until I had my first listening session with a Wilson Audio speaker which for me was a revelation as I had never experienced speakers to disappear so completely and have such a wonderful sound stage. This has for the past 20 years kept me as a loyal Wilson fan. I just cannot see myself ever owning a different brand of speaker. Perhaps there are better but for my ears the buck stops here.

Thank you David Wilson for the years of music enjoyment you have provided to this listener and thanks to the customer service at Wilson Audio. IMO it is second to none.

It is my sincere hope that by forming this Wilson Audio Owners' Circle that this will become the De Facto spot on the internet for all Wilson Owners. So to all of you Wilson owners out there, take a few moments to give us your thoughts about your system and don't be shy about posting pictures as these are always wonderful.

Debby Wilson, who is a member here at WBF has agreed to become a contributor to this newly formed WAOC and will also keep us up to date with anything and everything Wilson Audio including the announcements of any newly released Wilson Audio products

Finally with this WAOC Subforum started as a meeting place for Wilson owners, I am going to request that if you are a naysayer that you not post anything here at all Thanks to everyone for their understanding.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Wonderful posts, Steve. As I sit here typing on my iPad, listening to music via my Mac mini's external 4 terabyte drive, Amarra software, through my Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC and Pass XP-20 and Pass XA 100.5's, wonderfully playing through my absofreakinglutely great sounding Wilson WP8's, I have to agree. Wilson's are the speakers for me!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Great back story Steve.

I've had my Sophia 3s since 12/10.

Was planning on upgrading to Sasha Series II this year, but unfortunately we no longer have a WA dealer in HI.

Steve Williams

Great back story Steve.

I've had my Sophia 3s since 12/10.

Was planning on upgrading to Sasha Series II this year, but unfortunately we no longer have a WA dealer in HI.

I thought there's one in Honolulu who is also a Lamm dealer

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
It's wonderful to be here! You hosted an awesome listening party during the Newport show. Beautiful house, delicious food, and excellent music! Thank you for your hospitality!

You didn't share the photo of you, my father, and I at RMAF last year :)

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Well, there is a perfectly good reason you could not get me out of that room - it sounded absolutely AMAZING!! I could have spent many, many more hours in there (especially with such great company :) )

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Debby in the sweet spot listening to her father's speakers

I didn't want to leave!!

... hey... my hair matches the speakers, too ;) (going back blonde soon)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic Steve. You have yourself been a reference for many of us throughout all these years, as has your systems and rooms!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Steve,

Thanks for doing this!! In the spirit of bringing this Wilson Owner's Circle together as a resource for all Wilson owners, would it be possible to move my thread 'Stillpoints Ultra Vs and Wilson X1/Grand Slamms' to the Wilson Owner's Circle category?

I am thinking of opening up another thread about my experiences with my trusty old X1s, and realized the other thread probably belongs here as well.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

All done Lloyd.

I can see why you wanted to move the thread as you are one of our in house experts on Stillpoints. Without you and a few others here I would never have begun that part of the journey so thanks for that

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All done Lloyd.

I can see why you wanted to move the thread as you are one of our in house experts on Stillpoints. Without you and a few others here I would never have begun that part of the journey so thanks for that

Thanks, Steve. Hardly an expert, but happy to share my experiences. I am glad if it has helped others.

Steve Williams

Thanks for the kudos Christian. Also a big thanks for steering me down the Stillpoints path. Like you I found better performance of the Ultra 5's under my amp's power supplies rather than under the amp itself even though I now have them under both

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Steve, thanks for setting up this sub-forum for Wilson owners. I enjoyed reading your Wilson story and the pictures you've posted. Your system has been one of the most discussed over the years here on WBF and I'm sure the results you are getting in your current room are nothing less than state-of-the-art. Enjoy

yoda-ohne-soda

Apr 21, 2014
Wonderful posts, Steve. As I sit here typing on my iPad, listening to music via my Mac mini's external 4 terabyte drive, Amarra software, through my Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC and Pass XP-20 and Pass XA 100.5's, wonderfully playing through my absofreakinglutely great sounding Wilson WP8's, I have to agree. Wilson's are the speakers for me!

Nice equipemt to listen to music, as I'm using currently the QB-9 and looking forward to get my XP20 and XA100.5 soon in autum... unfortunately :) listening to speakers like Avalon Idolon... regards Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing