AES/EBU vs 110 ohm balanced

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Are they relatively interchangeable? Will I be able to use some 110 Ohm Nordost balanced interconnects I have available or do I have to buy a specialized AES/EBU cable? What makes the difference? Is it the impedance, or somehow is it the wire/wiring that makes the two different? The Nordost sounds just fine to me now but would the other type of cable be even better? I will be using it with a Vivaldi DAC when it comes in the next couple of weeks.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
AES/EBU is a robust 110 Ohm balanced interconnect system. The 110 Ohm part is only important in longer interconnect cables. Say well longer than 10 meters.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Just worth noting you can have specific digital AES/EBU cable and an analogue balanced XLR cable.
Technically they can be the same but many cable manufacturers seem to have differences between their AES-EBU digital XLR and their analogue XLR.

Another aspect balanced can help with is grounding issues/noise, however much depends upon how the electronic component implements their balanced/unbalanced circuitry and sometimes I have found an electronic product may be better with one or the other (especially analogue balanced).
Some electronic manufacturers seem to take more care with their balanced design and implementation while others focus more on unbalanced.
With digital this can also be compounded by the transmission/receiver design and especially how transformer coupled/transformerless is implemented by a manufacturer but not something to get overly focused on IMO as a consumer.

Cheers
Orb

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm using AES/EBU cables for all my interconnects, digital and analog.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing