psychoacoustics behind great audio reproduction

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Right, Jack, thanks - I've seen RT60 charts mentioned in room treatment analysis - is this is a measure of sound reflectivity in the room?. So is there a range or guideline for what is a good range/bad range or is the answer - it depends :) Sorry if this is room treatment 101.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Right, Jack, thanks - I've seen RT60 charts mentioned in room treatment analysis - is this is a measure of sound reflectivity in the room?. So is there a range or guideline for what is a good range/bad range or is the answer - it depends :) Sorry if this is room treatment 101.

John,

Some experts will tell you that RT60 is an acoustic parameter defined for large spaces and of minimal value in small or medium listening rooms. It seems that except for diagnosing very poor sounding rooms, its greatest utility is creating a very strong bias due to listener expectation. I am one of those biased people - the RT60 versus frequency of my room looks great.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

The answer is it depends :) A 0 value is anechoic, we know that that is totally unnatural sounding and thus uncomfortable. Inverse Square Law anybody? :D What I was actually suggesting is that various places categorized tend to share ranges of averaged RT60 values (RT60 from 20Hz to 20kHz). A studio control room in a range centered around .02sec all the way to cathedrals perhaps as high as 8 or even 9 seconds depending on the longest direct reflection route. What I was driving at is that when we imagine how a sound event "should" sound based on our personal experiences, this is always tied to where we imagine the sound event would occur and where in that place we be situated. It depends :)

What we have to remember is that reverberation is a blending of reflected sound images. At times it can sound beneficial like when we sing in the shower :D So use of reverberation can be double purpose. It can be used to enhance(or degrade) tone, because it adds body, as well as be used to provide spatial cues. In my limited experience I've found that these two are difficult to separate thus leading to "it depends". That being the particular situation. A restaurant may have any RT60 dictated by its size, the ideal for a fine dining restaurant would be a low value for intimate conversation. You wouldn't want this in a fast food joint as too much comfort will slow down turnaround time. It's actually a very fascinating part of architectural design that has really been gaining awareness and traction in the last few decades.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Jack, much appreciated

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing