Five days in New Orleans, late October

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
My wife offered to take me down to New Orleans late this October, it's a trip we had planned on a few occasions but for various reasons had to cancel. We'll have five days to fill and want to make the best of it, all of the daytime attractions and culture we can take in, saving the evenings for the music scene. Booking a hotel in the French quarter seems like the best way to maximize our time, and both of us need a break from the daily drive anyway.

If anyone can recommend a good hotel, interesting places to visit, and most important, the best clubs on the music scene, we'd appreciate the suggestions.

Tom B.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Tom,

Hotels in/near the Quarter you should consider;

Monteleone
French Quarter Suites
Blake

Also a bunch of large market ones like Hyatt, Marriott, W etc if you are using points or want them.

Might consider a B&B also. Marigny Manor, and Aud Sweet Olive.

As for music;

The Louisiana Music Factory or Frenchman St is a good place for LPs and information on who's playing where. Ask the guys behind the counter for their recommendations. Tipitina's is always a good bet and for local fare head to the Silver Leaf.

Also try here; http://www.bestofneworleans.com/

Have fun you are going at great time of the year weather wise.

My wife offered to take me down to New Orleans late this October, it's a trip we had planned on a few occasions but for various reasons had to cancel. We'll have five days to fill and want to make the best of it, all of the daytime attractions and culture we can take in, saving the evenings for the music scene. Booking a hotel in the French quarter seems like the best way to maximize our time, and both of us need a break from the daily drive anyway.

If anyone can recommend a good hotel, interesting places to visit, and most important, the best clubs on the music scene, we'd appreciate the suggestions.

Tom B.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tipitana's and Preservation Hall are a little touristy but you gotta go.

We like this hotel: http://www.maisondeville.com/

The food is sublime and there are plenty of great inexpensive restaurants but you should indulge in one nice meal like Commander's Palace for jazz brunch.

Have a great vacation. It's a unique, wonderful place to visit.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA

Tom B.

My wife and I spent a week in NOLA last year. We liked the Jazz Quarters B&B right on the northern edge of the French quarter although it's more practical than fancy.

Have eaten at Commanders Palace; wasn't particularly memorable. The locals say it's mostly for tourists and has gone down hill. You would really enjoy any the newer generation of NOLA chefs' restaurants (Spicer, Besh). Try Bayona or August. Cochon or Cochon Butcher (lunch-terrific but NOT fancy) would also by on the top of my list.

The most amazing NOLA attraction is the World War II Museum. Who knew. You could easily spend all day here. It is truly a world-class museum. Have fun!

Last edited:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Agree on Commanders Palace.

I always loved the Gumbo Shop. Might be touristy but it's pretty casual and I love their Gumbo and crawfish etouffee. Been a while though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing