May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Was that in Michigan per chance and were the XLF's yellow

'Twas in Michigan. Anne Arbour to be more precise, but the XLF's were not yellow.

Here's a pic of the XLF's (beside the Maxx3's)
Maxx3 Right.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
And was the WAMM finished in Rosewood, and using WATCHDog's as subs...? ;)

Um, don't recall if there was Rosewood. I do know there were subs, setup by none other than Peter McGrath...

All I know is that I loved the Maxx3's so much more than the Sashas... and I loved the XLF's more than the Maxx3's, but I was very smitten by the WAMMs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ranks very high up - definitely in the top 10 systems I've ever heard. It was driven with Nick Doshi's preamp and Jhor 90's and I felt like I could reach out and touch the performers - with amazing articulate bass. But... to be fair it was also the first time I really heard a tape source (although it wasn't with Nick's tape pre - was coming direct out of a R2R deck).

I preferred it to the XLF that I had heard earlier the same day - albeit with different electronics (REF 40, D'Agostino Momentum).

Great stuff, MadFloyd!!! Thanks. Not to be keep probing, but what was it about the sound that you preferred it to the XLFs? I have heard extremely good things about the WAMMs and have heard from long-time Wilson dealers the XLF finally gets 'close' to the sound of the WAMMS...perhaps more so with dual Thors, but that they remember the WAMMs as in a league of its own.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That is a rather weird and disturbing comment. Do you think Wilson is going away after this possible next project ? I think their business model is working quite well going long into the future.

it's called going out on top. the crowning achievement of his career- what's weird or disturbing about that?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
it's called going out on top. the crowning achievement of his career- what's weird or disturbing about that?

What makes you so sure Wilson is going out ? I see many years ahead for that company. The best speaker they make may be years away. I guess I have trouble with your phrasing of posts sometimes.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What makes you so sure Wilson is going out ? I see many years ahead for that company. The best speaker they make may be years away. I guess I have trouble with your phrasing of posts sometimes.

Wilson isn't going anywhere. I see Daryl taking on more of the R & D responsibility lately.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Christian,

The way *I* read it, Keith meant Wilson *the man*, not Wilson *the company*.
It's only natural for a man to pass his family company to his kids.
I think your love for WA and the need to defend it at all cost is what caused your understanding of what Keith wrote to go the other way...

alexandre

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Christian,

The way *I* read it, Keith meant Wilson *the man*, not Wilson *the company*.
It's only natural for a man to pass his family company to his kids.
I think your love for WA and the need to defend it at all cost is what caused your understanding of what Keith wrote to go the other way...
alexandre

I agree with alexandre.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Um, don't recall if there was Rosewood. I do know there were subs, setup by none other than Peter McGrath...

All I know is that I loved the Maxx3's so much more than the Sashas... and I loved the XLF's more than the Maxx3's, but I was very smitten by the WAMMs.

Put another way, how close did you feel the Maxx3 and XLF were to the WAMMs? Taking a leaf out of Martin Colloms book, if Maxx 3 is an arbitrary 100, where is XLF...165?...where would that put WAMMs?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Put another way, how close did you feel the Maxx3 and XLF were to the WAMMs? Taking a leaf out of Martin Colloms book, if Maxx 3 is an arbitrary 100, where is XLF...165?...where would that put WAMMs?

My experience with the WAMM's and the XLF's but the former several notches below newer model.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My experience with the WAMM's and the XLF's but the former several notches below newer model.

Wow...that IS interesting...so you found the XLFs superior to the WAMMs? I can only imagine then what XLFs + Thors must sound like when setup well.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Back in the mid 90s I was looking for my "last pair of speakers".
HiFi Station 2001, the Wilson distributor in France at the time, had a used pair of WAMMs for sale at their place in Mantes La Jolie. I went up there to audition them fully expecting to buy them, based on what I had read.
Whilst they were very impressive, I found the bass a bit overblown and slow, even in their vast listening room. I also found the Goldmund Analogs and Apologues, which I listened to there for the first time also, to have a more natural instrumental timbre to my ears.
So whilst I was impressed, I discovered a new range of speakers I hitherto did not know anything about which I preferred overall, mainly the fast, natural bass and convincing instrumental timbre.
I auditioned several other SOTA speakers over about 2 years, shortlisted the B&W Nautilus (I loved its styling too...) but ended up buying Goldmund Epilogs.
I would like to hear the Goldmunds against the XLF but frankly, I am an old bloke now and I'd sooner listen to more music than spend any more time auditioning equipment so probably won't risk it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
HiFi Station 2001, the Wilson distributor in France at the time, had a used pair of WAMMs for sale at their place in Mantes La Jolie. I went up there to audition them fully expecting to buy them, based on what I had read.
Whilst they were very impressive, I found the bass a bit overblown and slow, even in their vast listening room. I also found the Goldmund Analogs and Apologues, which I listened to there for the first time also, to have a more natural instrumental timbre to my ears.
So whilst I was impressed, I discovered a new range of speakers I hitherto did not know anything about which I preferred overall, mainly the fast, natural bass and convincing instrumental timbre.
I auditioned several other SOTA speakers over about 2 years, shortlisted the B&W Nautilus (I loved its styling too...) but ended up buying Goldmund Epilogs.
I would like to hear the Goldmunds against the XLF but frankly, I am an old bloke now and I'd sooner listen to more music than spend any more time auditioning equipment so probably won't risk it!

Oh come on'! With a moniker like F1...you gotta do the shootout and let us know what you think. AFterall, very very few of us have ever heard the Goldmunds...they are rare indeed.

In any event...thanks for the heads up on WAMM...I do remember your saying this earlier. Good to know. Would love to know what you think of XLFs...and more important XLFs plus Thor...thought talk about rare as hen's teeth. That combination is very very hard to audition.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

I have heard a WAMM and the XLF. In my opinion there is little comparison. The new speaker is far better. I dont think there is any comparison. ALl the later generation products are far better for many reasons.
Better tools to work with,
Computers
Better Electronics
Better Cables
Better parts and materials
Experience.
The XLF is the best speaker Wilson has made PERIOD
One mans opinion!
Sir dont go listen to them ( in a good place) unless you are prepared to dump your speakers. The XLF are really really good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard a WAMM and the XLF. In my opinion there is little comparison. The new speaker is far better. I dont think there is any comparison. ALl the later generation products are far better for many reasons.
Better tools to work with,
Computers
Better Electronics
Better Cables
Better parts and materials
Experience.
The XLF is the best speaker Wilson has made PERIOD
One mans opinion!
Sir dont go listen to them ( in a good place) unless you are prepared to dump your speakers. The XLF are really really good.

Definitive. I like it. Thank you.

Adrian Low

Industry Epert
Perhaps I'm the odd one out. I remember hearing the Wamm many years ago, helped David Wilson set it up. The room was relatively small, all driven by Rowland and Wadia. The sound was magical, floating an image that was completely free of the speakers. Intimate and yet explosively powerful. David spent 2 days setting it up. He used his own recordings to adjust the phase on the EQ system; if I remember correctly, it was the Ragtime album. Adjustments were done one speaker at a time. David used the tri-chordial character of the piano to tune the phase of each frequency. Each time the correct setting was achieved, it was as if a part of the window had suddenly become completely transparent. He repeated this process painstakingly until all the adjustments were done. When we started to tune the other speaker, it sounded muffled in comparison. Truly an ear opening experience.

If I had the proper room, I would own a pair in a heartbeat. Perhaps some of the speakers today are better in different ways, and having heard most, I would agree, but the Wamm is magical.

Best,
Adrian Low

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Perhaps I'm the odd one out. I remember hearing the Wamm many years ago, helped David Wilson set it up. The room was relatively small, all driven by Rowland and Wadia. The sound was magical, floating an image that was completely free of the speakers. Intimate and yet explosively powerful. David spent 2 days setting it up. He used his own recordings to adjust the phase on the EQ system; if I remember correctly, it was the Ragtime album. Adjustments were done one speaker at a time. David used the tri-chordial character of the piano to tune the phase of each frequency. Each time the correct setting was achieved, it was as if a part of the window had suddenly become completely transparent. He repeated this process painstakingly until all the adjustments were done. When we started to tune the other speaker, it sounded muffled in comparison. Truly an ear opening experience.

If I had the proper room, I would own a pair in a heartbeat. Perhaps some of the speakers today are better in different ways, and having heard most, I would agree, but the Wamm is magical.

Best,
Adrian Low

+1
As I've mentioned elsewhere, one excellent WAMM set-up did leave 'one of' most memorable experience in my audio journey.
Initially it was driven by JRD Consummate + 2prs Rowland Mono 9s, which later were replaced by FMA266 + 2x FMA811, Digital were ML30 & 31, and some serious analog rig which details today escapes me.. Plus $150k+ worth of Siltech/FMA cabling to top all that (which I recalled for that period- '90s, rest of us seriously thought that that buddy had gone half nutty).

System was set-up in a huge room, size more of a mini-theatre. Remembered when first installed it was sort of nothing special, dynamics were a touch soft, images mostly too bloated and lack specificity. After a couple months of settling, David Wilson came did his thing, closely followed by Manuel Huber weeks later who did the finishing touches/tuning. Sure one difficult beast to set-up, but once perfectly dialed/locked-in, like Adrian said it was err.. quite Magical in many ways.. Even by today's standard I must say.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing