The Return of the WAMM?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just read that at a local function in Arizona (AZ Audio Club function), Dan D'Agostino mentioned that Wilson is working on a new WAMM type, 4 column speaker. Does anyone know if this is true? Any more details?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just read that at a local function in Arizona (AZ Audio Club function), Dan D'Agostino mentioned that Wilson is working on a new WAMM type, 4 column speaker. Does anyone know if this is true? Any more details?

you can be certain getting information will be nigh onto impossible. IIRC the only WA speaker which seemed to be common knowledge re its production was the Polaris where it was talked about for several years before it came to fruition

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
you can be certain getting information will be nigh onto impossible. IIRC the only WA speaker which seemed to be common knowledge re its production was the Polaris where it was talked about for several years before it came to fruition
Probably true...if anyone hears anything further, please post!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wouldn't surprise me if some sort of replacement is in the works for the Maxx 3.

caesar

May 30, 2010

LL,

This wouldn't surprise me one bit, if we dabble in a little game theory. Since the age of dinosaurs in this industry, Wilson has been the most popular and uber expensive speaker, less some exotic brands. Now that Magico, Wilson's biggest competitors, has their stratospherically priced horns ($650K?) in the market, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Wilson responded with a super -duper expensive new WAMM.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me if some sort of replacement is in the works for the Maxx 3.

Yes, no doubt. But as long as Alexia is selling well, it doesn't make sense to release it. When Alexia slows down, they can release the new Maxx and get some people to upgrade. They also want to probably see how the new Magoco Q tweeter will sound like, so they can appropriately flavor their tweeter.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Isn't the XLF plus two Thors essentially the WAMM?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
“Dave is working on a new WAMM,” McGrath said, a grin breaking out on his face. The previous WAMM, produced in Wilson’s early days, was a strange-looking but highly effective creation that mixed cone woofers, midranges and tweeters with an electrostatic midrange/high frequency panel.

McGrath, who used to have a pair in the days when he was running his own retail store in Miami, was almost giddy with anticipation. Wilson apparently thinks he can better his current flagship, the Alexandria XLF, which sells for a heart-stopping $200,000.

The new WAMM might be out next year, although knowing Wilson every last detail will have to be triple-checked and tweaked before a pair is seen outside the factory.

The price? McGrath hasn’t heard a final number. “But it’ll be up from where the XLF is – way up.”

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/08/21/cas-2014-wilson-audios-sasha-ii-smooth-as-silk/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks!!! ...where there is smoke there is fire...I kinda was hoping if Dan D'Agostino is telling people at audio functions, it is the start of the ramp up the release. We shall see.

“Dave is working on a new WAMM,” McGrath said, a grin breaking out on his face. The previous WAMM, produced in Wilson’s early days, was a strange-looking but highly effective creation that mixed cone woofers, midranges and tweeters with an electrostatic midrange/high frequency panel.

McGrath, who used to have a pair in the days when he was running his own retail store in Miami, was almost giddy with anticipation. Wilson apparently thinks he can better his current flagship, the Alexandria XLF, which sells for a heart-stopping $200,000.

The new WAMM might be out next year, although knowing Wilson every last detail will have to be triple-checked and tweaked before a pair is seen outside the factory.

The price? McGrath hasn’t heard a final number. “But it’ll be up from where the XLF is – way up.”

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/08/21/cas-2014-wilson-audios-sasha-ii-smooth-as-silk/

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
LL,

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Wilson responded with a super -duper expensive new WAMM.

They also want to probably see how the new Magoco Q tweeter will sound like, so they can appropriately flavor their tweeter.

That is not how Wilson Audio works. We don't release products "in response" to any of our competitors products.

Many of our new products (for example, the tweeter for the XLF) were in R&D for several years. Many products/ideas for products are worked on for some time, and then shelved for years (like the Polaris had been for years). :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Many thanks for stepping in here, Debby. Suffice to say...we now look forward to regular updates from you!!!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
this would be a fitting career ending for Dave Wilson and back to his roots. I wonder if he retires after such a project is complete.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
this would be a fitting career ending for Dave Wilson and back to his roots. I wonder if he retires after such a project is complete.

As an avid admirer and owner, I hope not!! I also suspect he is one of those who may never retire...;)

Johnson (ARC), Franco Serblin, Duelund...many of them just kept working.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I did hear a WAMM and was blown away.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I did hear a WAMM and was blown away.

interesting...what would you compare it to? How high does it rank for you? alltime great experiences or just 'one of many sota speakers'?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
interesting...what would you compare it to? How high does it rank for you? alltime great experiences or just 'one of many sota speakers'?

Ranks very high up - definitely in the top 10 systems I've ever heard. It was driven with Nick Doshi's preamp and Jhor 90's and I felt like I could reach out and touch the performers - with amazing articulate bass. But... to be fair it was also the first time I really heard a tape source (although it wasn't with Nick's tape pre - was coming direct out of a R2R deck).

I preferred it to the XLF that I had heard earlier the same day - albeit with different electronics (REF 40, D'Agostino Momentum).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

That is a rather weird and disturbing comment. Do you think Wilson is going away after this possible next project ? I think their business model is working quite well going long into the future.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ranks very high up - definitely in the top 10 systems I've ever heard. It was driven with Nick Doshi's preamp and Jhor 90's and I felt like I could reach out and touch the performers - with amazing articulate bass. But... to be fair it was also the first time I really heard a tape source (although it wasn't with Nick's tape pre - was coming direct out of a R2R deck).

I preferred it to the XLF that I had heard earlier the same day - albeit with different electronics (REF 40, D'Agostino Momentum).

Was that in Michigan per chance and were the XLF's yellow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing