Let's Help A Music Lover Make A Big Difference

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

Now I really see why the Oppo was included from start ... ;) I could not understand why you had started with a $1200 source in such system!

Not the balanced outputs, which are easy enough to convert, so much as the value. In this system, that $1200 source is universal optical transport, top quality asynchronous DAC, headphone amp and preamp. A lot bang for $1200 worth of bucks. Tone control would be nice, but the Dynas have low/mid/high filters that will allow for enough tuning...

Tim

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Not the balanced outputs, which are easy enough to convert, so much as the value. In this system, that $1200 source is universal optical transport, top quality asynchronous DAC, headphone amp and preamp. A lot bang for $1200 worth of bucks. Tone control would be nice, but the Dynas have low/mid/high filters that will allow for enough tuning...

Tim

Tim , Don't you just love it when Magic Happens....

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think 'he' needs to go listen to speakers up to $2600 or so (I'm getting here by selling the JBLs and Oppo at half price on Agon.). Now we have around $3400 to play with. He needs to figure out if there is another presentation he likes better than the JBLs. This is where major change can occur. He could go a little higher than $2500 if the Cambridge is up to the task of driving this new speaker. Point here is speakers are where it's at, and you have to find if there's something out there that is worth it to you to rebuild around. I can think of a few amp/dacs for less than $800 from NAD and others (possibly Cambridge) that have more power if necessary. Cheap out on the transport and Belden is fine.

The above, and of course, room treatment :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think 'he' needs to go listen to speakers up to $2600 or so (I'm getting here by selling the JBLs and Oppo at half price on Agon.). Now we have around $3400 to play with. He needs to figure out if there is another presentation he likes better than the JBLs. This is where major change can occur. He could go a little higher than $2500 if the Cambridge is up to the task of driving this new speaker. Point here is speakers are where it's at, and you have to find if there's something out there that is worth it to you to rebuild around. I can think of a few amp/dacs for less than $800 from NAD and others (possibly Cambridge) that have more power if necessary. Cheap out on the transport and Belden is fine.

The above, and of course, room treatment :)

Totally with you (speaking for my own personal tastes here of course)...I would go NAD + Apogee Stages + Velodyne DD12+ Sub...both 2nd hand. Darn close to 2K for the speaker set and then trading in the JBL for what someone was suggested as $500...to get a 2nd hand NAD...run the Oppo thru it...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Totally with you (speaking for my own personal tastes here of course)...I would go NAD + Apogee Stages + Velodyne DD12+ Sub...both 2nd hand. Darn close to 2K for the speaker set and then trading in the JBL for what someone was suggested as $500...to get a 2nd hand NAD...run the Oppo thru it...

Not sure that the NAD would drive the Apogee very well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure that the NAD would drive the Apogee very well.

Fair point...perhaps then with the $2K budget, you could spend just $1250 on the Apogee Stages (skip the sub) and have $750 + $500 JBL trade-in money...and $1250 probably buys a good CJ SS 2nd hand amp (the old 2500) or something with enough juice. The upper bass wallop of the Apogees was quite satisfying (even for me, a bit of a bass freak).

I wonder if the old Forte 4 Class A 50watt amp could drive the Apogee Stages? Those run about $900...and with $350 leftover, you could save it or put it elsewhere in the system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing