Ripping to HTPC using Vanity modded Oppo digital out as the source

Gadgety

Feb 10, 2012
I will be receiving a CAPS 3.0 Zuma with an additional AES16e card installed for Multi Channel.

Eventually, I will be ripping some of my MCH (BR, DVD and SACD) content to the server and use Jriver for all playback. However, I will probably continue to use my modded Oppo (4x digital out) as a MCH digital source directly into the lynx card.

I saw this and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has used the the Vanity modded Oppo to rip disks to the PC? In particular SACD converted to PCM tracks. If you did, does it work well? What's the procedure like? What about quality?

Thank you.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I saw this and I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has used the the Vanity modded Oppo to rip disks to the PC? In particular SACD converted to PCM tracks. If you did, does it work well? What's the procedure like? What about quality?

Thank you.

I believe this is what Curt Hoyt @ Trinnov is doing. You can ask him and how he does it.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
The PS3 method does not work correctly. The Fogg method is streaming pure DSD?

In ISO mode, the PS3 method is flawless, at least with respect to the audio data. (I don't know, or give a damn, about TOC information or metadata.) Given the error correction, etc. of the Scarlet Book spec, SACD ripping is utterly trivial compared to ripping a redbook CD, if you have a device that can decrypt the data properly.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The PS3 method does not work correctly.

You mentioned having problems with the PS3, but I have had no issues whatsoever. Others have reported the same.

The Fogg method is streaming pure DSD?

The "Fogg" board I believe predates the Vanity board for the Oppo, and does not output DSD.

The latest incarnation of the Vanity103HD board now sends out MCH DoP over 4 x S/PDIF, so with the right downstream digital workstation I guess you can capture pure DSD in MCH, like what I believe you are doing with the Playback design SACD player.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing