LG 55 inch OLED TV at just $3,500!!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would stand in line to buy it had it been flat instead of curved. Still, this is a remarkable price and should expand the market. Wonder what Amazon pricing will be after the 1 month exclusive:

http://www.twice.com/news/tv/best-buy-launch-3499-lg-oled-tv/49822

Best Buy To Launch $3,499 LG OLED TV
Englewood Cliffs, N.J. – A little over a year after launching the first curved-screen 55-inch OLED TV through a limited number of Best Buy locations at a $14,999 introductory price, LG Electronics is using the big box chain to launch a second generation version ringing in at an astounding $3,499

nglewood Cliffs, N.J. – A little over a year after launching the first curved-screen 55-inch OLED TV through a limited number of Best Buy locations at a $14,999 introductory price, LG Electronics is using the big box chain to launch a second generation version ringing in at an astounding $3,499. This time, LG and Best Buy said the 55-inch curved-screen FullHD LG OLED TV, model 55EC9300, will be available through over 1,000 Best Buy locations starting August 24th. Best Buy TV merchant director Luke Motschenbacher said the chain will merchandise the set in a special dedicated end-cap display on its main selling floor. The display will have point-of-purchase messaging prepared by LG discussing all the features and benefits.

Consumers will also be able to see demonstrations built into the TV to help experience what the TV will really look like in the home. Last year’s OLED TV was positioned in the company’s Magnolia high-end home theater departments in a few flagship stores. “I think OLED’s finally here and finally going to be a product that’s real for a lot more customers,” Motschenbacher told TWICE. “Once you start getting into that realm of [average selling price] you get into a lot more customers that expect the latest and greatest technology.” He added that considering the initial $15,000 price tag, Best Buy “did quite well” with its inaugural model that launched through a similar exclusive last year. LG quickly lowered the selling price to below $10,000 through a succession of price declines, before reaching the under $4,000 threshold with the models released today.

Motschenbacher said the SKU this year “looks even better than the model last year at a price that’s much more affordable and a market size that’s much, much larger.” The retail chain is taking pre-orders on the 55EC9300 now on BestBuy.com. LG said Best Buy will have an exclusive launch window for about one month. This marks the third OLED TV that LG has released in 13 months. LG USA corporate communications VP John Taylor said his company’s ability to rollout OLED sets at time when its competitors’ efforts have stalled is helping to cement its dominance in the category.

“We’ve seen significant manufacturing efficiencies in the past year. That’s one of the benefits of entering the market early with our first generation product,” Taylor told TWICE, adding that LG’s production yields for OLED panel production are now comparable to where they were in the early days of LCD TV. Despite having a introductory price 75 percent higher than the second generation unit, Taylor said the first generation product drew very strong interest and crucial market information, including the fact that consumers would like the opportunity to hang the display on the wall – an attribute added to the 55EC9300. Taylor said sales of last year’s model met and exceeded “our conservative expectations.”

Following Best Buy’s window of exclusivity, distribution will quickly expand to both large and small regional dealers, including Brandsmart, hhgregg, Fry’s Electronics and others. “We see this as an opportunity to push OLED out to as many consumers as possible through these various channels.

LG’s OLED TVs are made with iths proprietary “WRGB” technology, which is said to deliver very high picture quality with an “infinite contrast ratio” achieving deep black levels and a rich and varied color gamut.

The OLED panel virtually paper thin, measuring 4.5 millimeters (11/64ths of an inch) at its thinnest point. The curved screen is accented with a frameless, bezel-less “Cinema Screen” design, offering an edge-to-edge picture. The panel also offers very wide viewing angles and has one of the fastest response times of an flat-panel technology.

On top of the advanced picture performance, the set includes the company’s new LG Smart TV+ webOS connected TV platform, which provides an interface designed for quick transitions between broadcast TV, streaming services and external devices. The system can be controlled through an LG Magic Remote, which works with simple gestures, point and click, scroll and voice commands. The set design includes a streamlined new stand, for those who opt not to hang the curved screen set on a wall.

Another attribute of OLED technology is energy efficiency. LG said the 55EC9300 is among the first OLED TVs to be Energy Star certified. According to the Federal Trade Commission’s “Energy Guide” label, the LG 55EC9300 has an estimated yearly energy cost of only $1.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
White the price is way better, $3,500 for a 55" screen and curved at that, is still way too much money, for me at least. The pricing on the forthcoming4K 65" is not too bad, putting it on par with what the last 60 Kuro was and the 70" Sharp Elite. That too is curved which I have NO interest in. I am also concerned about the reliability issues with the 1G LGs. Nevertheless, the prices are dropping far faster than I had anticipated. And this is without any competition from Samsung who are out of the OLED game at least for now. Now if they would only put of a FLAT 65" OLED!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The curved screen is ridiculous.

While the curve may improve viewing at the far end of the screen when viewed from the side, it makes the near end much worse. A flat screen on the wall is the way to go.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The funny thing is the CE companies tout the curve because large screens at the multiplex are curved. However, they are curved due to the limitation of the projectors that can't keep focus at the edges of large screens. It is beyond pure genius to use that excuse to introduce visible distortion into a flat screen picture that is otherwise perfect in terms of its geometry to mimic a flaw in projection technology, all in an effort to convince people to buy a new TV to replace on they just bought. Absolute insanity. Last time I checked, film images are FLAT.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Unfortunately for the tv manufacturers, televisions are more reliable and lasting longer than ever, so they have to keep dangling a carrot in front of us with new features that we don't need and fewer people want.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Clearly they did not do any consumer survey before introducing these curved sets. Average Joe may be impressed but he is not in the market to pay more than $1000 for such a display, if that.

I gave up waiting for OLED and bought a 4K TV a few months ago. It is a Samsung and has the best picture I have seen in an LCD.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The funny thing is the CE companies tout the curve because large screens at the multiplex are curved. However, they are curved due to the limitation of the projectors that can't keep focus at the edges of large screens. It is beyond pure genius to use that excuse to introduce visible distortion into a flat screen picture that is otherwise perfect in terms of its geometry to mimic a flaw in projection technology, all in an effort to convince people to buy a new TV to replace on they just bought. Absolute insanity. Last time I checked, film images are FLAT.

I am far from an expert but I thought screens in theaters were curved due to the way light spread the further it goes from the projector making the outer edges appear darker and not due to focusing issues. Why newer TV's are moving in that direction when many have each pixel controlled individually would lead me to believe light fallout would not be a issue.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I sure hope there are flat options going forward when I need to replace my Runco plasma that sits in a nice frame flat on the wall.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I want a 65 inch to replace my 50inch Pioneer Kuro. Could be waiting a while yet ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I want a 65 inch to replace my 50inch Pioneer Kuro. Could be waiting a while yet ;)

Your 50" screen is a great one...which generation? Why replace it? have you considered frontview projector? Just curious.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Your 50" screen is a great one...which generation? Why replace it? have you considered frontview projector? Just curious.

2nd last Kuro series - 7 or 8?

LLoyd, want and need are two different things. Hate projectors and home theatre in general - so TV is on the living room for all family to enjoy. Just looking for something a little bigger, but will probably wait til OLED 65 inch is cheaper I guess.

cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
2nd last Kuro series - 7 or 8?

LLoyd, want and need are two different things. Hate projectors and home theatre in general - so TV is on the living room for all family to enjoy. Just looking for something a little bigger, but will probably wait til OLED 65 inch is cheaper I guess.

cheers
Yes the difference between want and need is exactly the difference between an audiophile...and everybody else!!! ;)

I think Gen 7 and 8 were pretty darned awesome. I still have a 10 yr old 32 inch...and I bought it only because the 20 yr old broke! I have long thought about a bigger newer screen...my wife and I do watch movies on the big system, so it seems silly to have 6' tall speakers and a 32" screen sometimes...but I do often want to wait for a proper front view screen.

That said, given how big and how good flat screens are today, it does make one think twice...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Funny Lloyd

Look at the difference between what we have spent on out hifi and TV. Show where our priorities lie. Long live music!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Funny Lloyd

Look at the difference between what we have spent on out hifi and TV. Show where our priorities lie. Long live music!!

For sure! Though make no mistake...I'd love to watch Lord of the Things and the Great Hall of the Dwarves or whatever 9'-12' across!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing