Good enough, is as good enough!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from Melbourne, the most liveable city in the world!

As of these last few months, I've had some new items in the room for trial, plus my Act2 suddenly stopped working. It's on the way to Queensland for a check up.
I managed to get hold of some top-notch gear to drive the Quads, I also drove the stats without the preamp, using the MCD301 pre direct through the MV60se. Bloody great mate! I still strongly believe a preamp in there certainly makes a compelling difference...

Systems I tried out, and my findings:
1. ARC Ref 75 with Ref line stage: excellent dynamics and plenty of drive. However, I personally prefer the c-j combination. To me it has more warmth and that enveloping sound with a magical dimensionality through c-j & Quads, and that's something very special.

2. c-j ARTsa: this was simply outstanding, but it is unfair to even compare it this category; The ARTsa is in a league of its own...
Plus I'd be itching myself silly to get hold of a GAT preamp to match the Art. Then this would be a complete overhaul of a pre-power system, which the wifey and kiddo wouldn't be too happy about. Might as well go homeless!

3. MC2300 with the MC452: great soundstage, dynamics and awesome transients plus intrinsic detail. However, I preferred the MC452 with the Act2. That was something spectacular. Very smooth and listenable for endless hours. Very nice, one of my first choices.

4. MC275 with MC2300 and Act2: The KT88's had that special midrange that was very palpable compared to the rest. Running the MV60se gave me far better bass, extended airy highs with a magical midrange and superb soundstage mostly due to the KT120's.

5. Lamm ML2 monoblocks: these were from a 4th owner passed along different states. I think these came in from NSW lying around somewhere in one of the dealer's demo rooms. The sound was extraordinary driving the Quads through the Act2. However, one main problem is that the tube replacements cost way too much over here. That put me off.

Another thing that put me off was the ARC Ref 75; the input signal cables (internal wiring) run straight through the middle of the output tubes. Those KT120's get pretty dam hot and I wonder why they thought of this design. I didn't realize it until the lid was off. I know that a majority of designers would either run these wires under a sub-chasis or out of sight, not through a pair of output tubes over the top?

Anyway, now I am confused and going to just listen to that small Sony FM radio blasting away with dust!

For the moment what I'm getting out of my current system is what my trusted electrostat guru once said, that "good enough, is as good enough." There will always be something better out there, just for once enjoy what you've got!
Take it easy all, love the music.
Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Greetings from Melbourne, the most liveable city in the world!

As of these last few months, I've had some new items in the room for trial, plus my Act2 suddenly stopped working. It's on the way to Queensland for a check up.
I managed to get hold of some top-notch gear to drive the Quads, I also drove the stats without the preamp, using the MCD301 pre direct through the MV60se. Bloody great mate! I still strongly believe a preamp in there certainly makes a compelling difference...

Systems I tried out, and my findings:
1. ARC Ref 75 with Ref line stage: excellent dynamics and plenty of drive. However, I personally prefer the c-j combination. To me it has more warmth and that enveloping sound with a magical dimensionality through c-j & Quads, and that's something very special.

2. c-j ARTsa: this was simply outstanding, but it is unfair to even compare it this category; The ARTsa is in a league of its own...
Plus I'd be itching myself silly to get hold of a GAT preamp to match the Art. Then this would be a complete overhaul of a pre-power system, which the wifey and kiddo wouldn't be too happy about. Might as well go homeless!

3. MC2300 with the MC452: great soundstage, dynamics and awesome transients plus intrinsic detail. However, I preferred the MC452 with the Act2. That was something spectacular. Very smooth and listenable for endless hours. Very nice, one of my first choices.

4. MC275 with MC2300 and Act2: The KT88's had that special midrange that was very palpable compared to the rest. Running the MV60se gave me far better bass, extended airy highs with a magical midrange and superb soundstage mostly due to the KT120's.

5. Lamm ML2 monoblocks: these were from a 4th owner passed along different states. I think these came in from NSW lying around somewhere in one of the dealer's demo rooms. The sound was extraordinary driving the Quads through the Act2. However, one main problem is that the tube replacements cost way too much over here. That put me off.

Another thing that put me off was the ARC Ref 75; the input signal cables (internal wiring) run straight through the middle of the output tubes. Those KT120's get pretty dam hot and I wonder why they thought of this design. I didn't realize it until the lid was off. I know that a majority of designers would either run these wires under a sub-chasis or out of sight, not through a pair of output tubes over the top?

Anyway, now I am confused and going to just listen to that small Sony FM radio blasting away with dust!

For the moment what I'm getting out of my current system is what my trusted electrostat guru once said, that "good enough, is as good enough." There will always be something better out there, just for once enjoy what you've got!
Take it easy all, love the music.
Cheers, RJ

If I read this correctly, your ACT 2 and CJ MV60SE are great! (I have owned both ACT 2 and MV60, so I am both biased and in agreement!). In truth, I think 'tweaking' with ACT2 and MV60SE may continue to provide dividends...happy to PM if you wish on this point. And if you really must go for something, maybe try a GAT and see whether you like GAT more or ARTsa more. I bet that's a tough call...but perhaps you could go with just one?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day mate,
Thanks for your message. Yes, in fact I would be very pleased to have the ARTsa in there. However, I know for a fact that after acquiring the ARTsa, in order to complete the system (in my mind of course that is...) I would definitely want the GAT as well, and then the vicious cycle starts mate.
I've been there before when I once not too long ago owned Wilsons, and Lamms. Ended up in a financial muddle, hence had to get rid of the whole lot, and start all over again. At the moment Australia is not a good place for job security, then again which country is? Probably somewhere in the Amazon I reckon...

Decided to venture out a bit more before closing in on that so called "final amplifier." Heading out to the land of S'pore once again in a few months, and intend to do some serious auditioning. I really want to check out the new c-j monoblocks in a real top-notch set up, and see for myself what they're really capable of delivering in terms of soundstage, depth and clarity. I do not listen to music at loud or blaring levels, hence can't stand horns, and massive dynamic driver types. For me the Quads are going to be my speakers of "rest" and I am quite happy with the Act2 and McIntosh digital playback system.

The MV60se is extremely wonderful at the moment, but whenever I try to upgrade the performance it seems that I have to do this by a far margin in terms of actual spend. The majority of power amps I have already tried are only marginally better and do not justify the extra dollars.

One thing for sure is that I am a tube lover, and will probably end up with another tube amp.
The ARTsa is just an exquisite work of art, she a beauty! Dam expensive in Australia, but affordable in the US, I know. Blood great amp though!
One day matey, one day.
Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
G'day mate,
Thanks for your message. Yes, in fact I would be very pleased to have the ARTsa in there. However, I know for a fact that after acquiring the ARTsa, in order to complete the system (in my mind of course that is...) I would definitely want the GAT as well, and then the vicious cycle starts mate.
I've been there before when I once not too long ago owned Wilsons, and Lamms. Ended up in a financial muddle, hence had to get rid of the whole lot, and start all over again. At the moment Australia is not a good place for job security, then again which country is? Probably somewhere in the Amazon I reckon...

Decided to venture out a bit more before closing in on that so called "final amplifier." Heading out to the land of S'pore once again in a few months, and intend to do some serious auditioning. I really want to check out the new c-j monoblocks in a real top-notch set up, and see for myself what they're really capable of delivering in terms of soundstage, depth and clarity. I do not listen to music at loud or blaring levels, hence can't stand horns, and massive dynamic driver types. For me the Quads are going to be my speakers of "rest" and I am quite happy with the Act2 and McIntosh digital playback system.

The MV60se is extremely wonderful at the moment, but whenever I try to upgrade the performance it seems that I have to do this by a far margin in terms of actual spend. The majority of power amps I have already tried are only marginally better and do not justify the extra dollars.

One thing for sure is that I am a tube lover, and will probably end up with another tube amp.
The ARTsa is just an exquisite work of art, she a beauty! Dam expensive in Australia, but affordable in the US, I know. Blood great amp though!
One day matey, one day.
Cheers, RJ

Here's a suggestion...buy another MV60SE 2nd hand and monoblock them. they are designed to be able to do this, and by all accounts, its an AWESOME upgrade!!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
RJ,

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'll have my own slice of nirvana when the Strads finally get delivered. CJ GAT/ART combo is just amazing. Please keep the updates coming and sorry for your gear mishaps. Hopefully the repair will be simple.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
RJ,

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'll have my own slice of nirvana when the Strads finally get delivered. CJ GAT/ART combo is just amazing. Please keep the updates coming and sorry for your gear mishaps. Hopefully the repair will be simple.

Slice? Try a whole pie!...in fact, make it an extra large with cheese! Enjoy!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

Cheers, RJ

RJ,

Most probably the designers think that the putting the cables out of sight would subject them to more signal interference and this is the best sounding path. :)
Heat will not affect Tefkon cables.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Here's a suggestion...buy another MV60SE 2nd hand and monoblock them. they are designed to be able to do this, and by all accounts, its an AWESOME upgrade!!

Yes mate, this was recommended before. In that case I might as well go for the LP125m and replace them with KT120's. That was my original plan, until I actually heard the ARTsa - extraordinary in every sense of the word! Probably the amplifier of the decade...
Very similar to the formidable Premier 140 in all aspects but the ART series launches the performance and finesse to a whole new level of realism.
After listening to the ARTsa I really cannot listen to anything else, and in Australia these things cost big bucks!

The LP125m and LP125sa are quite affordable all within the range of 10 to 15 grand. However with the ART series you're talking about double that. Currently the MV60se holds up pretty well compared to these bigger amps. However, when it comes to the ART nothing can match it, unless we're talking around 30 grand for a top-notch pair of monoblocks.

My plan for now is to retain the MV60se as I will probably not part with it. For the time being I'd go for the mighty MC452 then followed by the ARTsa.
Got to start scratching the lottery again...
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
RJ,

G'day Joe,
Shouldn't take too long for the problem to be sorted out. Hopefully I should have the ACT2 back by next week. Yes! Yes! I know those ART amps are outstanding, plus the GAT! As I have mentioned to you so many times before - I would just leave everything else on the front lawn...
Cheers, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
RJ,

Most probably the designers think that the putting the cables out of sight would subject them to more signal interference and this is the best sounding path. :)
Heat will not affect Tefkon cables.

Ok mate, fair enough. That would probably make sense but I still think it is a fascinating thing to do, and have those input cables so close to KT120's.

Apart from that, I did realize one thing. Although I preferred the c-j sound with Quads; the ARC Ref75 & line stage were fantastic driving the SF Strads or Elipsa's for that matter. The sound coming off the SF speakers was infact wonderful! Lively with superb realism, and not fatiguing at all. A very smooth and effortless drive.

There is something magical that c-j does when it drives a Quad ESL compared to any other tube amp I've tried. The ARC + SF was also nice, and I could probably enjoy either type of system. However, the Quad ESL's have a depth, soundstage and magical midrange that virtually nothing comes close to other than the live event itself!

On my next trip to S'pore I do plan to check out the top-of-line gear from both c-j and ARC, and see what system matching they have over there. Then I could get a wider sense of the best out there, and on what basis I should make my next purchase when ready.

As for now, "good enough, is as good enough!"
Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing