Ever try bass traps? You ever put in bass traps and completely remove them?

caesar

May 30, 2010
You see so many pictures of audiophile rooms that lack bass traps. I am not a measurement guy, but basic knowledge of physics could lead one to conclude that trapping some bass - without making the room dead - is a good thing and would probably help most rooms.

Yet for most of us this is an experiential hobby. Anyone try bass traps and got rid of them?

If you haven't tried bass traps, why not?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've never tried them. This may not make any sense to anyone, but I don't feel I need them. My logic behind that is two-fold. 1) I tend to play my music at fairly low-to-medium volume and 2) I'm not a fan of really heavy bass. If I introduced bass traps I may notice a difference, and I'm open to that possibility, but I'm not willing to spend the money on a "possible benefit".

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I have 2 20" ASC Tube Traps sitting on Mega Traps (1 or each in opposing corners, playing the corners as my room is set up diagonally) and they make a huge difference, even at low volumes. When I put the tube traps in 2 years ago, my wife was in the adjacent room, and stopped what she was doing and came in to listen- that was the difference they made. At that time, I had YG Carmels- not the last word in bass, and it still made a difference. When I put the S5s in the room, huge difference. I listen at about 75-77 dB, so I'm not shaking the rafters, and the overall quietness of the room makes individual notes of the music so much easy to follow. Everyone should either buy some, or make your own- there are instructions on the internet for making your own.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Bass traps will give you more bass, not less bass. They cannot absorb too much bass. It's simply not possible.

When you say "dead", I think you are talking about bass traps that also absorb into the HF. For example, most open face fiberglass traps will absorb bass above 100hz pretty well but also will absorb a disproportionate level of HF. That's where audiophile get the idea that room treatments make the room sound "dead."

There are a few different ways of trapping or reducing bass. So, you'll need to tell us which product you fear will make your room sound dead. Some of them could do that and others could not do that, no matter how many you added to your room.

Michael.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'll echo that; the idea that bass traps will absorb too much bass and/or make a room sound "dead" suggests a misunderstanding of how bass traps work.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bass traps will give you more bass, not less bass. They cannot absorb too much bass. It's simply not possible.

When you say "dead", I think you are talking about bass traps that also absorb into the HF. For example, most open face fiberglass traps will absorb bass above 100hz pretty well but also will absorb a disproportionate level of HF. That's where audiophile get the idea that room treatments make the room sound "dead."

There are a few different ways of trapping or reducing bass. So, you'll need to tell us which product you fear will make your room sound dead. Some of them could do that and others could not do that, no matter how many you added to your room.

Michael.

I wouldn't word the bolded part quite that way Mike. I agree with the rest however.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Been using GIK corner traps for years -- bass is notably cleaner with them vs without. Will be remeausuring my room shortly but when I measured some years ago, their effect was quantifiable.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I too have GIK corner traps and have bass traps at all wall/ceiling intersections (soffits).

Very measurable when you measure decay (bass ringing) and very audible as well. Also have 2 bass traps (and diffuser) on rear wall and 3 on each rear side wall. I LOVE bass but will walk out of a room with bass than rings. It totally destroys the listening experience for me. That is why I spent the money to address the issue passively and what the bass traps don't fix, Dirac does.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I say "more", I don't mean amplitude. I mean that you will hear MORE bass notes and MORE quality bass. I can see that word is confusing.

:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When I say "more", I don't mean amplitude. I mean that you will hear MORE bass notes and MORE quality bass. I can see that word is confusing.

Thanks to you and JackD201 for making that clarification...interesting. I always promised myself not to go there in our living room, and I strongly suspect I still wont. nevertheless, one to keep in the back of my mind. I have seen a few professional setups of my speakers including CJs own room from many years ago, and I now recall they had these in the corners.

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
i went from no bass traps to Jon Risch Q&D traps (rolls of insulation) to ASC tube traps (16" *10). the latter was night and day better than the Q&D, and the Q&D likewise better than no trapping in my small room (15*11). no downside whatsoever.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You don't have to put them in corners. I've tried almost every brand of bass trap. The RPG Modex plate is most effective and least offensive at HF. It doesn't go in corners and it looks pretty nice too. They are a pain to mount. I hope I only have to do it once. :)

Thanks to you and JackD201 for making that clarification...interesting. I always promised myself not to go there in our living room, and I strongly suspect I still wont. nevertheless, one to keep in the back of my mind. I have seen a few professional setups of my speakers including CJs own room from many years ago, and I now recall they had these in the corners.

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
ASC tube traps

Using ASC tube traps makes a huge difference with bass transients and quality of bass. All corners from floor to ceiling
have large bass traps, as well as mid points. Around the entire room I use mid range tube traps, which are 3 feet apart.
Midrange clarity is superb and spatial imaging is wonderful. All these traps (35 traps in all) have a reflective surface
on one half of their surface that can be rotated and provide excellent diffusion of high frequencies.
It takes many bass and midrange traps, but it does wonders for smooth bass, clarity, imaging with great depth.
The overall difference is enormous and the added benefit of a very quite room.

Attachments

• IMG_0952..jpg
    IMG_0952..jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 346

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have had ASC Bass Traps in the four corners of my listening room for around 25 years or more (IIRC). They were the biggest ones available at the time (I'm currently not home, so I can't measure the diameters). They are one unit tall (not to the ceiling). Unfortunately, they have been there so long, that I don't remember what it was like before them, and several different sets of electronics and speakers have come and gone since they have been there.

Larry

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You don't have to put them in corners. I've tried almost every brand of bass trap. The RPG Modex plate is most effective and least offensive at HF. It doesn't go in corners and it looks pretty nice too. They are a pain to mount. I hope I only have to do it once. :)

Corners are first and most important, though, because that's where the pressure from standing waves tends to be strongest. Likewise it's where you can trap virtually all the bass without adversely affecting listening position bass strength (in fact often the opposite, certainly in terms of bass quality)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Using ASC tube traps makes a huge difference with bass transients and quality of bass. All corners from floor to ceiling
have large bass traps, as well as mid points. Around the entire room I use mid range tube traps, which are 3 feet apart.
Midrange clarity is superb and spatial imaging is wonderful. All these traps (35 traps in all) have a reflective surface
on one half of their surface that can be rotated and provide excellent diffusion of high frequencies.
It takes many bass and midrange traps, but it does wonders for smooth bass, clarity, imaging with great depth.
The overall difference is enormous and the added benefit of a very quite room.

Nice RTR.....Crown SX722/24

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT

Whether adding bass traps gives the perception of more bass or less bass depends on the room size and shape, and where you listen in the room. In most smaller home-size rooms deep nulls are the larger problem, so adding traps increases the amount of bass. This is not just perception, but it's real and shows clearly in measurements. The "amplitude" of the bass really has increased. In rooms where peaks are more damaging, such as when the room is square or 2:1 (10 by 20 feet), adding bass traps reduces the peaks as well as raising the nulls. So in all cases, bass traps make the response more flat. They also reduce ringing which is just as harmful to clarity. The graphs below show Before and After readings in a bedroom size space.

--Ethan

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That's right Ethan! We often forget about the nulls. We do experience more amplitude as you've shown.

For some reason this thread has narrowed down to talking about just corner traps. Corner traps usually aren't that helpful with the SBIRs and axial modes. Corner traps are not "good enough" IMO. They are helpful but don't address many other bass problems.

Whether adding bass traps gives the perception of more bass or less bass depends on the room size and shape, and where you listen in the room. In most smaller home-size rooms deep nulls are the larger problem, so adding traps increases the amount of bass. This is not just perception, but it's real and shows clearly in measurements. The "amplitude" of the bass really has increased. In rooms where peaks are more damaging, such as when the room is square or 2:1 (10 by 20 feet), adding bass traps reduces the peaks as well as raising the nulls. So in all cases, bass traps make the response more flat. They also reduce ringing which is just as harmful to clarity. The graphs below show Before and After readings in a bedroom size space.

--Ethan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing