Thread: Buzzing BG 48 Midrange

Buzzing BG 48 Midrange

Curious for an opinion, or two, please. One of the BG midrange ribbons in my 201 buzzes/distorts on certain musical passages - but it does not appear to do it along the entire length, just at the top part of the ribbon. I can detect no breaks in the trace lines, nor any kind of other physical damage. I recall reading a long time ago that these ribbons can become 'loose' and require restretching; or that they can loosen due to higher humidity? May be completely untrue, dunno. Would appreciate any insights. Thanks!

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    The ribbon is on a mylar substrate, so humidity has no effect. However, over time, they may pull out of the mountings. If you bought the ribbon as a genuine part from Genesis, we do have a 3-year warranty.

Thanks for the reply Gary. A 3 year warranty won't really help; it'd have to be more like 15 :lol: Should it be necessary, is the driver repairable or would it simply need to be replaced (I recall replacing the mylar part in my old EMIT and EMIM drivers, but these BG units seem a whole different animal)?

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    It can be repaired, but if the driver is already 15 years old, I would recommend that you replace it. The magnets deteriorate and metal corrode. To maintain balance, replace the pair.