Technics SP-10MK3

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congratulations moutainjoe, an incredible beauty you have there! Question, is that the faux brushed machined silver aluminum finish like the NGS on their website gallery?

With all due respect, after being shown by a friend what was done under the hood with his Krebs mod, this is one audiophile modification I personally would never opt for.

What does the Krebs mod do. They do say once its done, its irreversible which sounds like a problem to me.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I just received my Artisan Fidelity SP10MK3 NGS TT and though I am early into the setup and fine tuning stages, I am getting a good appreciation for the capabilities of this turntable.

One thing for certain is every tweak and bit of tuning yields a change - this table communicates in a very direct and transparent way. I have some further optimizations to do (like getting VTA in the right range) but as it is now, the sound is very dynamic, extended in lower and upper registers (more on the bass later), and very transparent and resolving.

In the Mono & Stereo review of this TT, he mentions a slight deficit in the high frequency extension but I find it more extended up top than my previous setup. Perhaps this has to do with tonearm & cart interactions with the TT? The bass is prodigious as described in the same review.

To provide some background, I am coming from a Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT and am using the same tonearm and cart combo - FR66s with Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum (i.e. same components used in both setups). My phono, preamp, and amps are all Ypsilon. I am using UNI-DIN geometry and a titanium headshell with my FR66s.

Here are some photos of the TT during and after the setup process - the other tonearm is an FR64s with a Koetsu Urushi Black on rotation.

View attachment 43299

The massive SP10MK3 motor shown here:

View attachment 43300

The platter installed (without the copper mat mounted yet):

View attachment 43301

And the final assembly:

View attachment 43302

The fit and finish on this Artisan Fidelity TT are superb and the plinth is quite a feat of engineering at almost 250lbs (complete assembly)!

Cheers, Joe

Beautiful table. I love my SP10mk3 so I am sure you will find the AF version wonderful.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Congratulations moutainjoe, an incredible beauty you have there! Question, is that the faux brushed machined silver aluminum finish like the NGS on their website gallery?

Yes it is ;-)

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
XV-1

What does the Krebs mod do. They do say once its done, its irreversible which sounds like a problem to me.

While I am not familiar with the full extent of the Krebs mod, I can tell you about what I saw personally. Inside, there was sticky, tacky Linseed oil applied around the components which honestly, just seems like a recipe for trouble.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love DIYhorn's table but I also kept looking at the EMI Kogan! :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I love DIYhorn's table but I also kept looking at the EMI Kogan! :D

But is that testament or the original? I heard a test pressing at the General's which, along with a szell Beethoven 5th test pressing was miles better than any LP I heard

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Not mine, mine has separated arm pod.

I'll post pictures later.

Very interested in seeing your table. Particularly the arm pod, as I'm currentlylooking for a pod myself, for my MKII.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Here ya go, temporary setup for a quick photo shoot.

Table looks great!

What does that isolation table do for you - what do you hear with it on vs. not (I assume it an active isolation device)?

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
In my time auditioning Minus K under my tt, I really struggled to centre weight bearing for best results.

Also, Id really advise using a piece of Panzerholz on the platform, the steel top plate can ring, and Panzerholz is a simple inexpensive and highly effective way to eliminate this.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Heard they finally announced the Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10R. Really want to hear one of these new decks properly plinthed, but honestly do not need another direct drive.....

https://www.artisanfidelity.com/new-products/technics-sp10r-sl1000r

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing