Technics SP-10MK3

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
So therefore one buys the motor unit/control electronics and outsources or makes the plinth and arm board.

Didn't Technics say the SP10R is a drop in "replacement" for the "old" SP10 Versions?
So all the already available armboards and plinths are also usable for the new SP10R :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If I hadn’t just spent £10k on my analog set up, this would be the one I’d be most seriously interested in.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Been waiting for this Mono and Stereo Magazine Artisan Fidelity review to be published. Suffice to say, I for one am still very confident with my choice of the NGS direct drive and honestly see no need whatsoever to pursue the Sp10r at this point in time. That being said, I will still welcome the opportunity of an in room Sp10r demo when the opportunity arises.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/07/artisan-fidelity-technics-sp10-mk3-ngs.html

Main%u00252B1.jpg

theophile

Nice looking room and system.Are those two Denon monoblocks to either side of the MacIntosh Monos?

theophile

Or are they Pioneer Exclusive?

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
I wonder how this upgrade might now compare to the new SP-10R that is suppose to have this amazing speed accuracy and stability?

Good question. My NGS has the fidelis analog MN6042 chip replacement modification but I never compared this to stock, so I really cannot comment on any discernible audible differences.

Chris F

On paper it's no contest. A 226Khz PLL from the 80s vs something that runs Mhz range (possibly hundreds of Mhz) with way better ppm (drift over time) and jitter specs plus significantly more powerful (sample rate, accuracy etc..) control firmware and sensors.

Of course in reality it may not sound better but based off what they did with the 1200 my money is on the newcomer. (and by a large margin)

Without question, technology has evolved, but (Drift) Parts per million, minuscule jitter readings, modern firmware, sensors, etc., does not necessarily equate to audibly improved playback capability while listening, nor does it automatically mean long term reliability for that matter. We also have to look closely at the actual parts quality of these turntables and realize that the Sp10r at its core is essentially an upgraded 1200 GAE, which is nothing like a Sp10Mk3. Interesting to note standard published Technics factory bench specifications (W&F, Rumble, ect.) are almost identical, one would think that all that modern engineering would measure much better.

On your last sentence, I humbly disagree, as when released, the new Technics 1200GAE from a engineering perspective was a radical departure and clear improvement from it's mass marketed, low rent, big box store predecessor, the SL1200 "DJ" model in every conceivable way. This however, is most definitely not the case with the Sp10r vs Sp10Mk3, comparatively speaking imo each can firmly stand on their own merit. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Nice looking room and system.Are those two Denon monoblocks to either side of the MacIntosh Monos?

Good question. I'd perhaps ask the magazine reviewer. The mono's all the way in the back look like vintage McIntosh to me.

AS%u00252BNGS%u00252B1.jpg

theophile

OK using the above photo as reference: There is a portion of two Mac monoblocks which are partially visible in the upper corners of that photo. One Mac mono partially visible in the right top corner of the photo, one partially visible Mac mono in the left upper corner of the photo. I was referring to the silver amps which were sitting beside the Macs. Not the tube clock. The silver amps have racks handles and what looks to be a VU meter.

jdza

May 3, 2010
OK using the above photo as reference: There is a portion of two Mac monoblocks which are partially visible in the upper corners of that photo. One Mac mono partially visible in the right top corner of the photo, one partially visible Mac mono in the left upper corner of the photo. I was referring to the silver amps which were sitting beside the Macs. Not the tube clock. The silver amps have racks handles and what looks to be a VU meter.

McIntosh MC 3500. Produced 1968-71. Maybe the finest Mac of them all.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Good question. My NGS has the fidelis analog MN6042 chip replacement modification but I never compared this to stock, so I really cannot comment on any discernible audible differences.
My sp10mk3 failed. The new chip adds a stability that the Technics chip did not have. A no brainer upgrade for any SP10mk3 owner.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
My sp10mk3 failed. The new chip adds a stability that the Technics chip did not have. A no brainer upgrade for any SP10mk3 owner.

It's more than likely that you've been asked this already, and I've just missed it....but between your SP10 and your Raven, would you be able to say which you prefer, and what the differences in sound and presentation are between the two?

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
I just received my Artisan Fidelity SP10MK3 NGS TT and though I am early into the setup and fine tuning stages, I am getting a good appreciation for the capabilities of this turntable.

One thing for certain is every tweak and bit of tuning yields a change - this table communicates in a very direct and transparent way. I have some further optimizations to do (like getting VTA in the right range) but as it is now, the sound is very dynamic, extended in lower and upper registers (more on the bass later), and very transparent and resolving.

In the Mono & Stereo review of this TT, he mentions a slight deficit in the high frequency extension but I find it more extended up top than my previous setup. Perhaps this has to do with tonearm & cart interactions with the TT? The bass is prodigious as described in the same review.

To provide some background, I am coming from a Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT and am using the same tonearm and cart combo - FR66s with Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum (i.e. same components used in both setups). My phono, preamp, and amps are all Ypsilon. I am using UNI-DIN geometry and a titanium headshell with my FR66s.

Here are some photos of the TT during and after the setup process - the other tonearm is an FR64s with a Koetsu Urushi Black on rotation.

IMG_0326_1024.jpg

The massive SP10MK3 motor shown here:

IMG_0331-1024.jpg

The platter installed (without the copper mat mounted yet):

IMG_0339-1024.jpg

And the final assembly:

IMG_0379-1024.jpg

The fit and finish on this Artisan Fidelity TT are superb and the plinth is quite a feat of engineering at almost 250lbs (complete assembly)!

Cheers, Joe

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
A shameless plug... you too can have a Technics SP-10Mk3 I had originally posted. It is still for sale. I will consider friends and family deal for the interested WBF member.

Reactions: ruchottalex

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Such a beautiful table.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Congratulations moutainjoe, an incredible beauty you have there! Question, is that the faux brushed machined silver aluminum finish like the NGS on their website gallery?

Have you the Krebs Mods?

BruceD

With all due respect, after being shown by a friend what was done under the hood with his Krebs mod, this is one audiophile modification I personally would never opt for.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing