Analog Domain Isis integrated amplifier worlds first hands on

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
world_exclusive_facebook.jpg analog_domain_test_review_34.jpg angl.jpg

Finally and at long last, the NEW Analog Domain Isis integrated amplifier was personally delivered yesterday by Angel Despotov of Germany's Analog Domain. For connoisseurs of high-end and ultra high-end audio, he needs no introduction. For those of you who wish to learn more, refer to my exclusive interview with Angel here. Together with his lovely wife, Ani and fellow engineer Svetilio, they brought the first production model (A001) of the Analog Domain Isis integrated amplifier. The elegant appearance of this integrated belies it's tank like build quality. It weighs in at a surprising 25 kgs.

What sets this integrated apart from a bevy of others? According to the white paper, this is Analog Domain's first product to incorporate a groundbreaking circuit concept. The Excalibur circuit brings something new and different, that one can hear from the first strike of a note. I'll elaborate more in an upcoming special Q & A with Angel, but in simplest terms, it stresses the importance of current rather than voltage. The Isis possesses thunderous energy, that fully grasps speakers at their entrails and doesn't let go for a micro second. I was already quite impressed with the Magico S1 speakers. Yet, once paired with the Isis, performance shifted to a different plane. The change was drastic and immediate. The level to which reproduction was enhanced left me dumb-founded.

An iron grip (kept by my excellent preceding equipment), morphed into a titanium one. I've never, repeat never heard music so alive, lifelike and direct in my room. Being a gain junkie, my demands are not easily met. People who know me can confirm that satisfying my need for dynamics is one of my obvious listening biases. Not because I wish to go deaf or unnecessarily disturb the neighbors ;), rather, getting the music replayed in the closest measure of reality requires real control.

One compromise most audio designers make, (willingly or not) is the handling of power and the structure of their gain stages. With most power or integrated amplifiers, I get the feeling that someone is trying to suck 1000 litres of water through a straw. This effect can not only be heard, but felt subliminally. This effect results in an artificially muted reproduction that has little resemblance to real music.

The Analog Domain Isis Integrated is the first amplifier in my experience completely absent of this effect. I'm intrigued by its ability to portray music in this way. This is a direct, purely interactive experience, that has raised the bar of performance so high, that my head is still spinning.

This new level of performance warrants a more precise look at what's going on beneath the bonnet. There is much to be learned which will be brought up in subsequent updates over the coming days, finishing in what will become an exclusive review. Based on my initial experience, it's evident this will be a positive review, so much so, that I fear I'm in trouble. How can one go back to a lesser level of performance after having seen the promised land? This is a pure reference level solid state amplifier, that has up-ended everything I thought I knew about listening at home. There is no rational way of letting something as musically empowered as The Analog Domain Isis get away...

Full photos set:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/08/analalog-domain-isis-integrated.html

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
If it sounds half as good as it looks, they've got a winner....msrp?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
ouch...but very nice indeed

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder what happened to the displays. It still looks great but the displays looked really attractive.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Push Angel to build the preamp to go with the Monos Matej!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing