Devialet, SAM, and the Changing of the High-End Guard ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I don't know, but will make sure before I make that mistake again :) I think a friend sent his in for an update and Dan was able to add a zero point on the dials. I have not seen it with my own eyes/ears.

Hi Joe

you mean Dan has listened and now has a zero on the tone controls ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
IMHO you should listen to the combo - I did not like the power amplifier until I listened to it with the matching preamplifier. But if I was not happy with my setup and had the funds it would be hard to resist - and remember I am a tube man!

What did the Dag preamp add to the musical equation that the Dag amp by itself did not?

cheers

Last edited:

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff,

It appears there is no Q7 SAM file yet. Did you use the processing file meant for the S1 on the Q7s :confused::confused::confused:

Jack

No, I decided to use S1s for that ;)

dans6959

Jul 14, 2013
No, I decided to use S1s for that ;)

Jeff-

I have a Devialet 200 that I use with a pair of Magico S1s. I found the SAM feature improved the quantity and quality of the bass in the S1s. I suspect SAM's improvements will be more noticeable in smaller 2 way speakers than multi-driver full range speakers. The list of SAM ready speakers appears to skewed towards speakers with restricted dynamic range at the moment.

In my case I replaced a Simaudio integrated amp, a Simaudio phono preamp, and an Ayre QB9 usb DAC with the Devialet. The cost of the separates, less interconnects, was about the same as the Devialet. The performance of Devialet was a significant improvement over the old setup. The fact that it does it all in one attractive package is icing on the cake.

I look forward to your review of the 400. I hope you use it with the S1s and compare its performance to the 200. I think the S1s will benefit from the extra power, but my wallet hopes not. Devialet is offering 15% off the slave unit until the end of September so I hope your review is out before then.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing