Devialet, SAM, and the Changing of the High-End Guard ....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good read. You all may remember my review of the amp commenting on the excellent bass of these switchmode amplifiers. Same is observed here:

"The Q7s’ bass was now superior to anything I’d previously heard from those speakers, in my or any other room."

On SAM, when I was at Microsoft, we specifically bought Pacific Microsonics, maker of HDCD, because of their speaker profiling/correction. It worked at high level exactly the same as what they describe. The inventor by the way was the famous "Professor" Keith Johnson. Microsoft has a patent on that technology although I am confident no one will try to prosecute that in this case.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have heard the Devialet all models many times with a few different speakers. It is very good gear good looking compact a lot of pluses but I do not feel it is better to the best gear out there. Just my opinion to me good but not the best.

In this hobby (most any hobbies actually) is there ever a "best"? Still for $6500 this appliance is shredding the "Class Price" myth. I like that and a lot...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
+1

Absolutely agree.

In this hobby (most any hobbies actually) is there ever a "best"? Still for $6500 this appliance is shredding the "Class Price" myth. I like that and a lot...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it also might be an amp-speaker synergy thing. or maybe even a class d amp-speaker thing.

or maybe the dsp profile uniquely fixes some specific thing in these 2 speakers? (and it's possible it fixes things in all speakers)

one would need to try the Devialet 120/SAM with other speakers with profiles on file to draw broad based conclusions. but I've had those epiphany moments myself before and I'm sure something special is happening. sounds promising especially considering the price.

I've only had the briefest of exposure to the Devialet and I did like what heard, but I cannot even recall the speakers it was paired with.

at the Newport Show I spent a few days listening the new darTZeel LHC-208 "Danalog" streaming dac with integrated amplifier and was blown away at it's performance for the price (around $15k). it's over 200 watts into 8 ohms sounded great on the 86db EA Minitwo's. I expect it would compete head to head with almost any separate dac-pre-amp too. of course; it's a conventional topography amp and without any DSP......for those of us who want to stay analog in our pre and amplifier for whatever reason (that system at Newport used the new 'big' dart pre separate as the phono stage to great effect).

sounds like there are some excellent solutions for high performance without limitations at modest prices and small packages.....and hopefully there will be a Devialet with SAM at RMAF I can listen to.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I listened to the Devialet in dual mono mode driving the Wilson Audio XLFs two days ago. Big sound, with plenty of definition and powerful bass. However when we swapped the Devialets for the d'Agostino preamplifier and stereo power, keeping the Odin cabling and source (Metronome top digital units), it was IMHO a night and day difference :) - air, layering and the feeling of being there were greatly increased.

I feel that Devialet's represent great value for money, and may be many people will find that their type of sound really matches their preferences, but for me they are not the ultimate electronics.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you for your opinion. I enjoyed my Dagostino combo and still think about it. I absolutely loved the sound of the preamp more than the amp but in hindsight it was great. I found out that some of the quirks that drove me nuts on the preamp have been fixed so I am willing to give it another try.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Anyone had a chance to compare the original D-Premier with the new models, specifically 120 and 200 ?

I have once had the D-Premier at home for audition, but the darTZeel / Scarlatti combo I was using at the time blow it away for the very same reasons Microstrip mentioned.

I'm thinking about getting one for my livingroom though, for causual listening, and pairing it with SF Olimpica II speakers (hopefully soon SAM enabled).

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Anyone had a chance to compare the original D-Premier with the new models, specifically 120 and 200 ?

I have once had the D-Premier at home for audition, but the darTZeel / Scarlatti combo I was using at the time blow it away for the very same reasons Microstrip mentioned.

I'm thinking about getting one for my livingroom though, for causual listening, and pairing it with SF Olimpica II speakers (hopefully soon SAM enabled).

I heard the new ones at Munich and found them souless and rather clinical.
I have heard they need expensive cabling to sound good and there may be more on other forums. You'd be wise to do some pretty thorough research before committing IMOH

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Definately very careful system matching is a must with those amps. Since you are replacing so many components with one, your possibilities of fine tuning the system become very limited.

I have already burried into my walls vdH The Wind cables (those are the cables that were intrnally used in the original SF Amati Homage speakers; they are definately on the warm side of things) and I also expect the SF Olimpica II speakers to complement Devialet's presentation somehow.

But as I said - my livingroom system is mostly for causual listening. Plus, it is used whenever I watch TV.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you for your opinion. I enjoyed my Dagostino combo and still think about it. I absolutely loved the sound of the preamp more than the amp but in hindsight it was great. I found out that some of the quirks that drove me nuts on the preamp have been fixed so I am willing to give it another try.

IMHO you should listen to the combo - I did not like the power amplifier until I listened to it with the matching preamplifier. But if I was not happy with my setup and had the funds it would be hard to resist - and remember I am a tube man!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I had both the amp and preamp at the same time. I may try them again but definitely love the preamp more. I immediately bought the Conrad Johnson combo as soon as I sold the Dagostino gear and have never been happier. The only problem is that I feel guilty running the ART monos for more casual listening and want a solid state alternative.

IMHO you should listen to the combo - I did not like the power amplifier until I listened to it with the matching preamplifier. But if I was not happy with my setup and had the funds it would be hard to resist - and remember I am a tube man!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I found it a really poor review compared with Jeff's high quality work previously.

Just because it has super human bass impact doesn't say much. High negative feedback digital amps will do that in the first place- ask me what the texture of a kettle drum is like instead. Noise is nice, but not terribly important at the listening position as most room have noise floors in the 40s. Not one discussion of midrange, texture, air, decay, 3D soundstage, etc. He also lost me saying Halcro was one of the best ever (really?).

Just my opinion, but my guess is he changes his tune once he gets the Ayre monoblocks in for review.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
I found it a really poor review compared with Jeff's high quality work previously.

It's not a review -- you'll note the article is an Opinion/Editorial.

I have the Devialet 400s coming for a full review.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jeff,

It appears there is no Q7 SAM file yet. Did you use the processing file meant for the S1 on the Q7s :confused::confused::confused:

Jack

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Hi Joe

you mean Dan has listened and now has a zero on the tone controls ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing