Spiral Groove Centroid Universal

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Anyone using or seen the Universal Centroid tonearm on a turntable other than Spiral Groove's. Any opinions.
Any opinions on the arm itself. Either on a Spiral Groove table or not. What does it compare to. What cartridges have you used with it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I wish I had the answer you are looking for here. I was considering this arm intently before I bought my Schroeder LT. My dealer is ordering one soon...if and when he does, I'll let you know. He plans to put it on his Grand Prix Monaco table.

This Centroid arm is supposed to have fantastic bass...and a couple of very nice reviews out there.

Let us know if you find some info...good luck

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have only read the reviews that were done by Stereophile and The Audio Beat.
I have only been able to listen to it at shows on the Spiral Groove tables, and only with the Lyra's.

I really like it's design with the low slung counterweight. I am not a guy that changes VTA with every record so the lack of VTA on the fly doesn't bother me.

Which dealer will be mounting it on a Grand Prix?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have only read the reviews that were done by Stereophile and The Audio Beat.
I have only been able to listen to it at shows on the Spiral Groove tables, and only with the Lyra's.

I really like it's design with the low slung counterweight. I am not a guy that changes VTA with every record so the lack of VTA on the fly doesn't bother me.

Which dealer will be mounting it on a Grand Prix?

Ne Plus Ultra in Austin, Tx

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If you get a chance to hear it let us know your opinion.

So this has taken longer...but my dealer is ordering the Spiral Groove Centroid Universal. The custom arm board for his Grand Prix Monaco is almost done...guessing in about a month or sooner I'll be able to hear this arm finally. Very curious.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Generally speaking, manufacturers never comment on the work of their competitors, but I'll go out on a limb here because I feel that Dennis Davis has created a product that is significant. I haven't discussed the arm with anyone at Spiral Groove, except for a few forgettable comments to Alan Perkins back when at I heard it at a show in 2008, or 2009. It is one of the few things I remember from that show. My opinions are simply that, my opinions.

Many, many years ago, Mitchell Cotter wrote a paper outlining what he thought would constitute the perfect tonearm. If my memory serves me the paper was for AES, but I don't have it handy, so I can't double check that. Cotter's thoughts were centered almost entirely around the concept of inertia, which to my way of thinking is the key to successful analog playback. The Spiral Groove Centroid seems to implement those concept in spades, and it sounds very good to my ears.

Some audio trivia: An earlier effort that addressed Cotter's theories was the Magnepan Unitrac 1 tonearm. Properly rewired, I feel that it is still a sleeper. The legendary Bob Crump who built the Blowtorch preamp, an over-the-top design by John Curl, was noted for his uncanny ability to hear such things as which brand of resistor was used in a circuit. Maybe a lot of what is said about him is urban legend, but no one ever doubted his ability as a builder. He used the Magnepan as his reference at one time. Those were the days.

The math that supports the underlying concept...
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=473487

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Win thanks for posting. One day I should listen to your table...I can only imagine how wonderful it is..

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Demo'ing a new arm... It's pretty impressive...will post more thoughts over the weekend. From the start is dynamic & energetic, but flesh on the bones, engaging draws you in...It's paired with a Transparent Opus Gen 5 phono cable...

DSC_2171.JPG DSC_2172.JPG DSC_2174.JPG DSC_2175.JPG

Reactions: Stef

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Hi Jfrech

How is the Centroid with the Allaerts. Have you tried it with other carts? Now that Allen Perkins now longer represents Lyra, I would like to know how other carts behave and sound with the Centroid.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Jfrech

How is the Centroid with the Allaerts. Have you tried it with other carts? Now that Allen Perkins now longer represents Lyra, I would like to know how other carts behave and sound with the Centroid.

Sublime. Frankly I just love the combo to the extent I sold my Atlas. It's not like the Atlas is better than the Allaerts, more different. The Allaerts has a wonderful beauty that the Centroid only enhances vs the Triplanar and Shroeder LT that had the Allaerts before. My phono stage isn't a perfect match to a .2mv cartridge, but I have zero plans to change. I'd love to hear the Lyra Etna one day or the Goldfinger v2. The Allaerts maybe a "best buy"...the better the arm, the better the cable...it only gets better.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sublime. Frankly I just love the combo to the extent I sold my Atlas. It's not like the Atlas is better than the Allaerts, more different. The Allaerts has a wonderful beauty that the Centroid only enhances vs the Triplanar and Shroeder LT that had the Allaerts before. My phono stage isn't a perfect match to a .2mv cartridge, but I have zero plans to change. I'd love to hear the Lyra Etna one day or the Goldfinger v2. The Allaerts maybe a "best buy"...the better the arm, the better the cable...it only gets better.

I too must agree the Allaerts Finish is one of the VERY few carts that loaded correctly out performs the Atlas--to my audition anyway--YVMV--while I rate the Lyra near to perfection --the Allaerts has more "body" and seems to flesh out a tad more from the Disc.

While I am extremely happy with my two current MC's --the Madake and Shindo SPU--the JA Carts will always remain amongst the Fav's in my book;)

I ran the Finish in a Breuer 8C

Good Listening

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I too must agree the Allaerts Finish is one of the VERY few carts that loaded correctly out performs the Atlas--to my audition anyway--YVMV--while I rate the Lyra near to perfection --the Allaerts has more "body" and seems to flesh out a tad more from the Disc.

While I am extremely happy with my two current MC's --the Madake and Shindo SPU--the JA Carts will always remain amongst the Fav's in my book;)

I ran the Finish in a Breuer 8C

Good Listening

BruceD
Guys, I'd always wanted to audition the Allaerts but the joke of a "website" put me off, the rumours of self-destruction w/incorrect loading scared the $hit out of me, and the fact that rebuilds/retips can go into yr-long waits to arrive, all were a sufficient disincentive. Can you confirm if any of this is true, or am I misinformed?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Guys, I'd always wanted to audition the Allaerts but the joke of a "website" put me off, the rumours of self-destruction w/incorrect loading scared the $hit out of me, and the fact that rebuilds/retips can go into yr-long waits to arrive, all were a sufficient disincentive. Can you confirm if any of this is true, or am I misinformed?

Jan Allaerts is a one man band. So he can either spiff up the website or make more cartridges-probably doesn't have time for both. The website does have the basics as far as I'm concerned. I've had zero issues with self destruction. I had read that somewhere also...not sure the validity of it. Honestly, I don't think it is true. As far as rebuilds/retips pretty sure it can take a bit of time...just the nature of a very small business. About two years ago, I sent mine back for a check up, it came back in about 2-3 months, which I was ok with.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

BruceD

+1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jan Allaerts is a one man band. So he can either spiff up the website or make more cartridges-probably doesn't have time for both. The website does have the basics as far as I'm concerned. I've had zero issues with self destruction. I had read that somewhere also...not sure the validity of it. Honestly, I don't think it is true. As far as rebuilds/retips pretty sure it can take a bit of time...just the nature of a very small business. About two years ago, I sent mine back for a check up, it came back in about 2-3 months, which I was ok with.

Ok, that sounds fine. Tbh, my Straingauge cart recently had to go back to Soundsmith, and Peter Lederman took about 3 months to get it back to me. Can handle that.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ha 2/3 months --that's Warp speed compared to some!--my SPU retip took 6:p!

The Cartridge debate can wander infinitum --personal choices will always remain varied and sometime inconsistent --one picks from the flock--sometimes following the Geese-Ha!

On the JA's-yes one man band --its been few years since I've owned one--but he always was courteous and forthright with correspondence--I suggest if you want to try keep an eye out for a preowned/refurb' at reasonable pricing

you can always resell--they are sought after

Sorry for digression--back to SG--don't they have new super TT imminent ?

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

The Cartridge debate can wander infinitum --personal choices will always remain varied and sometime inconsistent --one picks from the flock--sometimes following the Geese-Ha!

On the JA's-yes one man band --its been few years since I've owned one--but he always was courteous and forthright with correspondence--I suggest if you want to try keep an eye out for a preowned/refurb' at reasonable pricing

you can always resell--they are sought after

Sorry for digression--back to SG--don't they have new super TT imminent ?

BruceD

Everyone and his dog has a "super something" imminent LOL. I have a lot of time for Spiral Groove, they sit below the radar while all the other big names hog the limelight, but their products seem borne of really good engineering.
The main man at one of the most uber tt's of recent times took one look at the SG bearing, and exclaimed he couldn't work out how it could be better than his (which he said it was) for a fraction of the cost.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, the bearing may be spectacular.
Btw Keith, you've pulled yr Liszts f/s ad. Have you sold them already?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

BruceD

How did that turn out Bruce? I have a SL-15T that I want rebuilt but I've been getting mixed reviews about Soundsmith's repair quality, can reply in a PM if you prefer.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing