Star Trek: Into Darkness - with live orchestra

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Last night my wife and I attended a concert by the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Mann Center at which the orchestra performed the score to accompany the film Star Trek: Into Darkness shown on a large screen above the orchestra.

Really cool event. The performance was so accurate that you would completely forget that there was a full orchestra going at full tilt just a few feet under the screen. There was probably one of the largest percussion setups I have ever seen for any symphony performance.

Not the strongest film of the Star Trek franchise, but having the score performed live made for a really fun evening.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wish I could be there. Michael Giacchino has done an excellent job with that soundtrack. For those who have not heard it, here is the sample:

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Wish I could be there. Michael Giacchino has done an excellent job with that soundtrack. For those who have not heard it, here is the sample:

My spouse is a high school classmate of Michael's. They have known each other for years. He first studied film-making in college before going to Julliard to study composition. He we there with his whole family, many of whom (including his parents) still live in the area.
I agree that he is very talented, more than likely the heir to John Williams in film scoring. The orchestra was led by David Newman, a gifted film composer and conductor in his own right. David is the son of film music composer Alfred Newman.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
The night before the Phila. Orchestra performed the soundtrack to West Side Story.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
this must have been a very cool event...I wish they'd do this kind of thing more often.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
The night before the Phila. Orchestra performed the soundtrack to West Side Story.

The orchestra did Gladiator earlier this summer. Wish I would have caught THAT one....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing