Hello from Oxfordshire

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hello all,
I am new to this forum but not to hifi in general.
I have been a music lover all my life. I bought my first hifi component when I got my first paid job in 1968. Firstly mainly DIY (as much of it was back then).
After my degree in Mechanical Engineering I worked in Noise and Vibration research. This involved theoretical studies and measurements. Back then I had to design several of my own transducers.
I spent a period working for Garrard who made record decks but left them in mid 1976 to design racing cars, which I did until I retired in 2010.

I have a reasonably deep knowledge and understanding of record players and vibration transducers.
I have a basic knowledge of electronics.
I have both amateur and professional experience of making recordings, both analogue and digital, audio and general data.
I have a passion for loudspeaker design, grounded on my early noise and vibration experience, but limited in depth knowledge learned from building my own and friendship with a speaker design consultant.

I spend several hours a day listening to music, now I am retired.
I am not much of a box-swapper, I usually take a long time with auditioning anything before buying and then keep it for a while 15 years is not unusual since I hate comparing sq between items with a passion.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Welcome f1eng. I am warming back BTW to F1 racing..

Your perspective on vibration control in audio reproduction would be very interesting.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome f1eng...

Your perspective on vibration control in audio reproduction would be very interesting.

+1! I am working on a mass damper for my X1s...basically to sit on the back and help damp bass vibrations from leeching up into the upper 3 modules. The Ultra 5s underneath did a great job, and adding a Vibb on top did help...so a manufacturer who uses Alexandrias as a reference has kindly offered to help do something custom.

Very very excited. The bass cabinet has 2 separate enclosures...13" and 15" woofers...ported. The challenge is the top of the cabinet has 3 modules plus the crossover box...so there is probably only room for 4 'legs' (each 2"x2") where one could place mass dampers...on top of which I would seek to apply some kind of very dense, very heavy weight.

Any thoughts on any experiments you might have tried are appreciated!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum! Your background should be of immense value to our members.

Speaking of Garrard, I used to repair a ton of them in 1970s. Lived in florida where people would stay in winter. Come next season, they would find the grease in them gummed up and hence, the machine inoperable. Would fix them in my sleep! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing