USB Security Flaw

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just the kind of thing we see routinely in TVs and movies now made real. Scary.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is the kind of exposure that has been known in the circle of companies who build these products. Same issue exists in SD cards.

All of these devices need to have a secure firmware update mechanism where the end points have to be trusted. Of course we can't put the genie back in the bottle.

And yes, this is one of the most common ways computers are compromised in government actions. They leave USB cards in bars and such and the workers take them into secure areas and expose the whole system that is otherwise partitioned off. Iranian centrifuges were likely corrupted this way. This hole though is being plugged. My HP laptop for example by default will not open a flash card without user authentication. And even there, it times out after a few minutes. You can override it of course but it is a pretty secure mechanism.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Probably primary ones able to make use of such a hole would be NSA and Chinese IMO, and those that deliberately use a rogue USB device to plug into USB port of a machine.

One that many audiophiles (especially those streaming) should consider relates to NAS and even simpler devices being controlled by hackers; if I remember one was using a serious amount of these type of devices as a cloud computation.
Just found one article on it:
http://storageservers.wordpress.com...eing-used-for-crypto-currency-mining-schemes/

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I need to check but I thought the Stuxnet worm utilise USB memory stick for its attack?
Cheers
Orb

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thanks for the article. Now I won't be able to sleep at night.

My residents and I routinely trade thumb drives to give each other articles, reading lists, schedule information, photos and other data.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing