Blinking Led Light In Ref 10 Phono

number95

May 14, 2014
Last night I realized a green (presumably LED) light blinking in control unit of my Ref 10 phono while the unit was switched off. The blinking frequency was approx 1 sec on-off and it kept going after I turned on the unit on and off. The intensity of the light is not strong so when lights are on at the listening room, it is hard to realize it, but when lights are off, it is easy to discover it via grills. I took out the power cord of power supply unit and then plugged in, it started again. I tested the unit via listening and did not notice any problems. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or any suggestions? :confused:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Last night I realized a green (presumably LED) light blinking in control unit of my Ref 10 phono while the unit was switched off. The blinking frequency was approx 1 sec on-off and it kept going after I turned on the unit on and off. The intensity of the light is not strong so when lights are on at the listening room, it is hard to realize it, but when lights are off, it is easy to discover it via grills. I took out the power cord of power supply unit and then plugged in, it started again. I tested the unit via listening and did not notice any problems. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or any suggestions? :confused:

This is normal operation: same thing with my unit. Oddly, the LED is missing in my REF 10 line stage.

number95

May 14, 2014
This is normal operation: same thing with my unit. Oddly, the LED is missing in my REF 10 line stage.

Hello Dmnc02, thank you for the feedback. It is a relief! I also have Ref 10 pre and as you stated I never noticed similar blinking led for that unit. Having said, it has been approx 200 hours of burning in for Ref 10 phono and I wonder how I missed that light from the beginning? It seems very unlikely as I mostly listen to music at late evenings and the dedicated listening room stays at dark before I turn on the lights, it is easy to verify a blinking led while it is dark. So, it may be the case this led thing might be new? Did you have that from the very beginning with your unit? Btw, I am so pleased with Ref 10 phono, it is a major upgrade over my old Ref 2 SE.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Hello Dmnc02, thank you for the feedback. It is a relief! I also have Ref 10 pre and as you stated I never noticed similar blinking led for that unit. Having said, it has been approx 200 hours of burning in for Ref 10 phono and I wonder how I missed that light from the beginning? It seems very unlikely as I mostly listen to music at late evenings and the dedicated listening room stays at dark before I turn on the lights, it is easy to verify a blinking led while it is dark. So, it may be the case this led thing might be new? Did you have that from the very beginning with your unit? Btw, I am so pleased with Ref 10 phono, it is a major upgrade over my old Ref 2 SE.

Yes, I am fairly sure the LED in the REF 10 Phono has been blinking from the very beginning. In the line stage, it is not that the LED does not blink: it is missing altogether. And trust me that at 200 hours you have not heard the REF 10 Phono yet.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My Proceed AVP2 had a similar internal LED. The Light Harmonic Da Vinci Dual DAC has a bunch of them if you peak through the acrylic trim. I think they are part of the power supplies? Rectifier(s) perhaps?

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
My Proceed AVP2 had a similar internal LED. The Light Harmonic Da Vinci Dual DAC has a bunch of them if you peak through the acrylic trim. I think they are part of the power supplies? Rectifier(s) perhaps?

The one in the REF 10 Phono is actually on the back of the touch display module, which I understand to be basically a small tablet PC.

number95

May 14, 2014
The one in the REF 10 Phono is actually on the back of the touch display module, which I understand to be basically a small tablet PC.

That is exactly the location I see blinking led.

number95

May 14, 2014
Yes, I am fairly sure the LED in the REF 10 Phono has been blinking from the very beginning. In the line stage, it is not that the LED does not blink: it is missing altogether. And trust me that at 200 hours you have not heard the REF 10 Phono yet.

I presume I need 200-300 hours more to get more out of it :D

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I presume I need 200-300 hours more to get more out of it :D

Unfortunately, more like 400 hours: I did not get all the flesh on the bones until well past 600 hours. It actually gets worse in this respect around 200-300 hours before it starts turning around. At least, that was my experience. But, as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
That is exactly the location I see blinking led.

Did you ever figure out what the blinking LED in the Ref Phono means? I noticed it tonight. Blinks whether it's turned on or off. Only pulling the power cord stops it. Curious.

number95

May 14, 2014
Did you ever figure out what the blinking LED in the Ref Phono means? I noticed it tonight. Blinks whether it's turned on or off. Only pulling the power cord stops it. Curious.

I ignore it :cool:

Should be a control circuit including a led or similar.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

From ARC Support: "Summary: The blinking LED on the microprocessor board is normal operation for the REFPHONO10 and is nothing to be concerned about."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing