Can I start with the Spectral DMC-30SS preamp first ?...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Can I start with the Spectral DMC-30SS preamp first (with the appropriate cables) and then add the amp(s) later? Would the Spectral preamp be okay to build a system around it?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
A little over a decade ago, I purchased my Spectral preamp and amp at the same time, but the preamp (30S) arrived first. I paired this with my Krell FPB-300 amp while waiting for the DMA-150S2 amp to arrive. The 30S was a big improvement over my previous Sonic Frontiers Line 3 preamp. I think I was able to gain a greater appreciation for the 30S by hearing the improvement that it alone delivered. Of course a huge upgrade came a few weeks later when the amp and cables were put into place.

So yes I think it would be fine to start with the preamp first. Just keep in mind that you won't get a full appreciation of what it can do until you pair it with a Spectral amp.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was planning to do just that and was on the lookout for a used 30SS Series II. As it happened, it showed up used with the 360 series II monos and I got the whole package instead. Never looked back. Best upgrade in a long time.

cuprone1

Feb 10, 2013
Italy
Me too planned to buy a 30 ss series II, used. But, first, I have to be extremely sure that I can convert it from 110 Usa voltage to 220 European voltage. Someone says it requires to send to Spectral but they do not agree to do this at all to protect their distributors. Someothers say it is very easy to convert it, just rewiring two cables and change fuse. So, please, who is right? Maybe a ss30 series 2 owners can help me? sorry for my bad english, I am Italian, close to Milan.
Thanks in advance.
Piero

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing