Tour De France

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Italy's Vincenzo Nibali wins Tour de France
Italy's Vincenzo Nibali won the Tour de France on Sunday, becoming the first Italian rider to do so since Marco Pantani in 1998.

The Tour was highlighted by a spate of crashes that early on eliminated some of the biggest-name racers in the field. Defending champ Chris Froome dropped out after three crashes, while three-time winner Alberto Contador broke his leg after ramming into a sinkhole.

The 29-year-old Nibali won four stages of the tour, three of them in the grueling mountains. - - Jon Terbush

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I was gutted initially with both Froome and Contador out of it very early and thought it would ruin the race.
But man without those two teams controlling each day this has been one of the most exciting TdF in many a year - IMO.

That said I feel Nibali would still had probably won; tactically he has shown more awareness than either of them in knowing what is happening around him and when he could rest a bit further back or when to jump across/respond to a rider about to break away, and also his performance in the mountains was stellar while time trial would had probably lost about only 1min to both of the them.
Worth noting he created a notable time gap between him and Contador even before he had his accident.

Also worth noting Nibali is one of five other riders to win all three major tours (not same year of course); Spain-Italy-France.
Now fingers crossed he was not taking drug enhancements and we would know soonish if so; but I feel he probably rides clean since the sport has become cleaner he has risen to the front (and also focused his training regime-fitness window specifically for the TdF).

Anyway loved this years TdF :)
Anyone else watched it?
If not search for the cobble stage for reference it is this one: http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/us/stage-5.html
And then the mountain stages, insane how tough these guys are; especially when they carry on with injuries after crashing (one finished the tour this year with broken fingers and a broken nose after crashing and that must had been hell on rough roads and also mountain stages).

Cheers
Orb

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
to be honest I missed this years race. with Wiggins, Froome, Contador out figured once worth paying up for NBCS after vacation a week ago.

when with the Schlecks be back 100%? Andy Schleck vs Contador was EPIC a few years back.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Like you I missed it as well but what I did see the riders wearing a new style of helmets. I know they do for the sprints but these looked totally different. Any of you guys know or wasI imagining things

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
You were watching the time trial with the aero lids.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I, too, missed this year's race. With no great scandals or controversies, I never saw it in the news.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
You were watching the time trial with the aero lids.

Yeah sounds like it to me.
As I mentioned shame you missed the cobble stage 5; rain and mud really punished the riders in terms of concentration and the bone jarring from the 7 sections of cobbled paths.
That said plenty of great stages this year to watch as neither Sky or Tinkoff-Saxo ruthlessly controlled this years race.
Nice to see the juniors (funny saying that for 23-24 years old cyclists but that is what they are for such a grand tour) coming up and look to be a force in next couple of years.

Amazed Chris Froome only gave up after 3rd fall while trying to ride with fractures on both wrists!
Mind you like Contador continued to try and cycle for about 15 minutes to see if he could ride the pain off... and turns out he has a broken tibia.
Seriously tough guys the international pro cyclists.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing