Gary's Eclectic Taste in Music

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gary

indeed your tastes are so eclectic. You always find ways to stimulate my auditory senses

Even if no one else watches this, I'm glad that you both like this. Great music and performance. Barbara Hannigan is something else! Her voice control is extraordinary.

Hahaha. Neither Amir nor Steve said that they enjoyed the music. It's certainly strange, and for me it opens up other avenues.

Even if you couldn't tolerate it, I'm glad you did try to watch it.

Well it is indeed different but just not my cup of tea.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Watched it again :). The brain was much more accepting of it. Definitely enjoyed it for freshness, modernity, fact that I could understand some of the words :D, and overall fun take.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Watched it again :). The brain was much more accepting of it. Definitely enjoyed it for freshness, modernity, fact that I could understand some of the words :D, and overall fun take.

Sometimes, that's what it takes. The first time I heard Anne Bisson's Blue Note, I did not like it, but the more I listened, the better I did.

I've heard some records Gary puts on and go "What the...?" But upon 2nd and 3rd listen, the brain accepts it better and then I start finding the magic in it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Really never thought of it before.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Since I met Bob Attiyeh of Yarlung Artists, I've been exploring a new genre of modern classics. It really got under my skin when I attended a LIVE recording session of James Matheson's String Quartet. Meeting the composer was a milestone experience in my appreciation of music.

This performance is amazing, and deserves sharing - Gyorgy Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macabre sung by Barbara Hannigan; London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.

Well, I for one enjoyed this although I can't say I enjoyed the music as much as I enjoyed the theatrics. Opera's answer to rap, perhaps? In any event, I love to be introduced to weird music stuff, or just about anything Gary thinks is interesting.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Found a great CD from a new Jazz Vocalist Sarah Partridge the other day. My sister, Carolyn Koh had kickstarted her CD which reimagines another one of my favourite singers - Janis Ian. The sound, music and musicianship are all excellent. We received the CD a week ago, and I predict that it's going to be in my regular play list and demo list for a long time.

Her Kickstarter page is very interesting as she listed a breakdown of what it costs to fund the CD. The CD launch party and concert is on May 11th. Unfortunately, it's clear across the country in New York. That's a great deal if you are there as $25 gets you the concert AND the CD. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bright...anis-ian-cd-release-party-tickets-32195371222

You can soon buy her CDs and FLAC downloads on Bandcamp: https://sarahpartridge.bandcamp.com/music

Sarah Partridge.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing