Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gary's Eclectic Taste in Music

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar

Gary's Eclectic Taste in Music

I am no expert in music, but I do have fairly broad-ranging tastes. As part of my job, I get to sample all sorts of music. As I constantly say that Genesis loudspeakers should cater to all audiences, I pick all genre of music for demo, and for design.

I have posted many of my choice demo and design albums here on WBF, but they have mostly been scattered around the threads. I've also been posting on the Genesis Facebook page. Lately, a European audio website asked permission to repost some of my recommendations on his site.

So, for the benefit of WBF members who are not on Facebook or follow Mono&Stereo magazine, I thought that I'd put them here as well. For the sake of completeness, some of them may be duplicates of albums I've posted elsewhere.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar

Shibuya-kei: jazz-synth-pop rock

There is no reason for this album being the first post on this thread other than I just posted this as one of the albums I will be bringing to demo at the California Audio Show, August 15th to 17th.

Cornelius (real name Keigo Oyamada) is an extremely inventive Japanese Indie-rocker. Cornelius is arguably one of the best known of the wild-child Shibuya-kei rockers from Tokyo. He is often compared to Beck, but I protest the comparison - while they are both creative, they are completely different!

His 1997 album, Fantasma, is still one of my favorites, and Point from 2002 is excellent as well. This album, Sensuous (2007), is a gorgeous sonic palette of sounds that will challenge any hifi system - it even challenges the behemoth Genesis Dragons. This is one album which will go down to 18Hz and the percussive impacts challenge even the famous Genesis ribbon tweeters and midrange. The reason for this was that Oyamada was fascinated with the audiophile/hifi demonstration records of the '50s and '60s and it shows. He uses a mix of acoustic instruments, synthesizers and everyday objects to create a wonderful tonal and harmonic soundscape, with huge dynamic contrast. While Cornelius is usually classified as Indie-rock, he then goes on with a different treatment of Breezin' - the jazz-pop tune popularized by George Benson and even plays with Frankie and Dean.

Sensuous is best listened to on vinyl (the CD is also great) - so that you resist the urge to skip tracks because Oyamada takes you through a bizarre and beautiful soundscape like a journey. The destination is a surprise - and forces you to wait another 5 years for his next album. Actually I've already been waiting 7 years and it hasn't appeared yet. *sigh!*

Name:  Cornelius Sensuous.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  277.4 KB

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    My friend, every time I see your music posts this is what I tell myself….

"Jack, you have to get out more"

Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

Deliciously Inventive: Israeli Psy-trance

From the opposite side of the planet.......

In the mid-'60s the Beatles became interested in Indian culture in an effort to expand their consciousness. They traveled to India to learn Transcendental Meditation, and even took lessons from Ravi Shankar (Norah Jones' father). Many of the songs in the White Album and Abbey Road were written during this time in India - where they meditated, drank coconut alcohol and took recreational drugs. Lennon credited meditation as his source of creative inspiration during this time. Yah, right!

Other hippies and musicians also flocked to India at around the same time - principally to Goa to pursue music, yoga, meditation and recreational drugs (Hashish was legal in India the early '70s). This gave rise to "Electronic Body Music" which helped dancers achieve a state of bodily transcendence using hypnotic, pulsing melodies and rhythms. The tracks generally start off slow, then steadily builds up the tempo, until it quickly dies off towards the end. This was Goa Trance.

It took its roots from psychedelic rock - bands like Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, and the Doors. As it evolved, more and more electronic instruments were used, as was synthetic rhythms and very complex layered melodies. Artists such as Kraftwerk, Nitzer Ebb and Frontline Assembly appeared and psychedelic trance or psy-trance was born.

And that is a long-winded way to lead up to my next recommended album.

Infected Mushroom is an Israeli psy-trance group formed in the mid 1990's and is one of the most successful groups in Israeli music history that audiophiles have never heard of. They employ electronic as well as acoustic instruments, and complex synthesized bass (which is why I love what they do!!) Their music varies in rhythm, but most of their songs have a very distinctive resonating bass beat that pounds constantly but overlaid with with varying rhythms drawn from funk, techno, dance, acid house, and eurodance.

Their music is often what I call "deliciously inventive" and the recording quality is among the best of the genre. The vinyl albums are super, super rare, but their CDs are among the best digital music I have.

This album, IM the Supervisor (sometimes incorrectly labelled I'm the Supervisor) is among the albums I most often bring to and play at shows.

Name:  IM the Supervisor.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  201.6 KB

Infected Mushroom have released some 8 albums over the past 20 years. My favorite is the Legend of the Black Shawarma but I have never managed to land a copy of the vinyl in reasonable quality at a reasonable price in the last 5 years of searching. Another great album is the double LP Converting Vegetarians. The track Avratz "on the other side" is a fabulous test of the quality of the bass reproduction of your system. In fact, any of their albums would be a great addition to your library if you don't have any psytrance in your music collection.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! jazdoc's Avatar
    This is gonna be a great thread (although my bank account is already protesting). Thanks in advance Gary.
    Trying is the first step to failure. -- H. Simpson

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    From the opposite side of the planet.......

In the mid-'60s the Beatles became interested in Indian culture in an effort to expand their consciousness. They traveled to India to learn Transcendental Meditation, and even took lessons from Ravi Shankar (Norah Jones' father). Many of the songs in the White Album and Abbey Road were written during this time in India - where they meditated, drank coconut alcohol and took recreational drugs. Lennon credited meditation as his source of creative inspiration during this time. Yah, right!

Other hippies and musicians also flocked to India at around the same time - principally to Goa to pursue music, yoga, meditation and recreational drugs (Hashish was legal in India the early '70s). This gave rise to "Electronic Body Music" which helped dancers achieve a state of bodily transcendence using hypnotic, pulsing melodies and rhythms. The tracks generally start off slow, then steadily builds up the tempo, until it quickly dies off towards the end. This was Goa Trance.

It took its roots from psychedelic rock - bands like Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, and the Doors. As it evolved, more and more electronic instruments were used, as was synthetic rhythms and very complex layered melodies. Artists such as Kraftwerk, Nitzer Ebb and Frontline Assembly appeared and psychedelic trance or psy-trance was born.

And that is a long-winded way to lead up to my next recommended album.

Infected Mushroom is an Israeli psy-trance group formed in the mid 1990's and is one of the most successful groups in Israeli music history that audiophiles have never heard of. They employ electronic as well as acoustic instruments, and complex synthesized bass (which is why I love what they do!!) Their music varies in rhythm, but most of their songs have a very distinctive resonating bass beat that pounds constantly but overlaid with with varying rhythms drawn from funk, techno, dance, acid house, and eurodance.

Their music is often what I call "deliciously inventive" and the recording quality is among the best of the genre. The vinyl albums are super, super rare, but their CDs are among the best digital music I have.

This album, IM the Supervisor (sometimes incorrectly labelled I'm the Supervisor) is among the albums I most often bring to and play at shows.

Name:  IM the Supervisor.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  201.6 KB

Infected Mushroom have released some 8 albums over the past 20 years. My favorite is the Legend of the Black Shawarma but I have never managed to land a copy of the vinyl in reasonable quality at a reasonable price in the last 5 years of searching. Another great album is the double LP Converting Vegetarians. The track Avratz "on the other side" is a fabulous test of the quality of the bass reproduction of your system. In fact, any of their albums would be a great addition to your library if you don't have any psytrance in your music collection.

Gary

I'm stunned that I actually have some Infected Mushroom in my library. Whenever I want to demo deep bass to where my house shakes, I use several of their tracks
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    My friend, every time I see your music posts this is what I tell myself….

"Jack, you have to get out more"

Quote Originally Posted by jazdoc View Post
    This is gonna be a great thread (although my bank account is already protesting). Thanks in advance Gary.
    Jack, Mark, I follow your music postings as well, and have bought great additions to my library as a result of your posts. Thanks from me too!

Addicted to Best!
    Musician's Friend sends out a catalog about every month or other month. The catalog usually include an interview with a musician or group. My December catalog had an interview with Infected Mushroom. You can read it here and watch the video:

Inside the Shroom Room with Infected Mushroom

Yeah. Infected Mushroom is pretty rad. I'm jazzed that Steve owns some of their music. Despite all the electronics that they use - I think that all their albums are audiophile quality.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Yeah. Infected Mushroom is pretty rad. I'm jazzed that Steve owns some of their music. Despite all the electronics that they use - I think that all their albums are audiophile quality.

Ive had them in my library for 6-7 years because it was one track I heard somewhere around the 2 minute mark where the deep bass was so present that my walls and floors shook. I let you know later the album and track
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast