Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Gary's Eclectic Taste in Music

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    Gary

indeed your tastes are so eclectic. You always find ways to stimulate my auditory senses
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Even if no one else watches this, I'm glad that you both like this. Great music and performance. Barbara Hannigan is something else! Her voice control is extraordinary.
    Hahaha. Neither Amir nor Steve said that they enjoyed the music. It's certainly strange, and for me it opens up other avenues.

Even if you couldn't tolerate it, I'm glad you did try to watch it.
    Well it is indeed different but just not my cup of tea.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Banned
    Watched it again . The brain was much more accepting of it. Definitely enjoyed it for freshness, modernity, fact that I could understand some of the words , and overall fun take.

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Watched it again . The brain was much more accepting of it. Definitely enjoyed it for freshness, modernity, fact that I could understand some of the words , and overall fun take.
    Sometimes, that's what it takes. The first time I heard Anne Bisson's Blue Note, I did not like it, but the more I listened, the better I did.

I've heard some records Gary puts on and go "What the...?" But upon 2nd and 3rd listen, the brain accepts it better and then I start finding the magic in it.
    Carolyn "The sister" Koh
    COO, Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc.
    Genesis Advanced Technologies
    Absolute Fidelity Cables

Really never thought of it before.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

Since I met Bob Attiyeh of Yarlung Artists, I've been exploring a new genre of modern classics. It really got under my skin when I attended a LIVE recording session of James Matheson's String Quartet. Meeting the composer was a milestone experience in my appreciation of music.

This performance is amazing, and deserves sharing - Gyorgy Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macabre sung by Barbara Hannigan; London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Simon Rattle.

Well, I for one enjoyed this although I can't say I enjoyed the music as much as I enjoyed the theatrics. Opera's answer to rap, perhaps? In any event, I love to be introduced to weird music stuff, or just about anything Gary thinks is interesting.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Found a great CD from a new Jazz Vocalist Sarah Partridge the other day. My sister, Carolyn Koh had kickstarted her CD which reimagines another one of my favourite singers - Janis Ian. The sound, music and musicianship are all excellent. We received the CD a week ago, and I predict that it's going to be in my regular play list and demo list for a long time.

Her Kickstarter page is very interesting as she listed a breakdown of what it costs to fund the CD. The CD launch party and concert is on May 11th. Unfortunately, it's clear across the country in New York. That's a great deal if you are there as $25 gets you the concert AND the CD. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bright-...ts-32195371222

You can soon buy her CDs and FLAC downloads on Bandcamp: https://sarahpartridge.bandcamp.com/music

Name:  Sarah Partridge.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  85.2 KB

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789