Gary's Eclectic Taste in Music

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think when it comes to the period in our lives when music began to really be entrenched in our psyches that period would be our school days. That's the period where we started personal explorations. The music at that period was the beginning of music listening in social settings and gatherings. So when people enter our showrooms or rooms at shows, I try to figure out by looking at them, what they probably would have been listening to in their high school and university days. It's particularly fun when the 20 somethings come in. Some of my choices for the young 'uns especially if they have their girlfriends in tow.

Ne-Yo Year of the Gentleman

Alicia Keys As I Am

Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You

Sara Bareilles Little Voice

Julie Thompson Feeling for Corners

Moonbeam Around the World

Beth Hirsch Wholehearted

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think when it comes to the period in our lives when music began to really be entrenched in our psyches that period would be our school days. That's the period where we started personal explorations. The music at that period was the beginning of music listening in social settings and gatherings. So when people enter our showrooms or rooms at shows, I try to figure out by looking at them, what they probably would have been listening to in their high school and university days. It's particularly fun when the 20 somethings come in. Some of my choices for the young 'uns especially if they have their girlfriends in tow.

Ne-Yo Year of the Gentleman

Alicia Keys As I Am

Lily Allen It's Not Me, It's You

Sara Bareilles Little Voice

Julie Thompson Feeling for Corners

Moonbeam Around the World

Beth Hirsch Wholehearted

I'll be 61 in a few days Jack, so what would you play for me? :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What did you like to drink when you were in college? :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What did you like to drink when you were in college? :D

Always been an imbiber of the suds. Lager, ale or stout...it all works for me!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Playing Disco never goes well. Even the guys in their teens at the time get embarrassed LOL

As such….I wouldn't play you (or anybody!) any. If you sat down I'd do a quick rotation from folk singer/songwriter, R&B, Prog Rock, Rock, Popular Rock

List would probably look like this

Gordon Lightfoot
Chicago
Mike Oldfield
Stevie Wonder
Joan Baez
Peter Frampton

I'd ask you to choose from that shortlist. I might then pull you into a contemporary group with similar influences.

I normally shy from period classics that have become audiophile staples since you'd probably have heard those in a lot of other rooms. The Bozz Scaggs, Steely Dan's et al.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Playing Disco never goes well. Even the guys in their teens at the time get embarrassed LOL

As such….I wouldn't play you (or anybody!) any. If you sat down I'd do a quick rotation from folk singer/songwriter, R&B, Prog Rock, Rock, Popular Rock

List would probably look like this

Gordon Lightfoot
Chicago
Mike Oldfield
Stevie Wonder
Joan Baez
Peter Frampton

I normally shy from period classics that have become audiophile staples since you'd probably have heard those in a lot of other rooms. The Bozz Scaggs, Steely Dan's et al.

Refreshing list! I like it!

Hopefully the music that you and Gary play will entice others to step away from the old war horses.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's not progressive rock (I don't think) but if you are a fan of progressive rock - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, this album to me is a must-have. I find extremely difficult to classify and extremely enjoyable. It's a double LP and I will play all 4 sides - not always in the same order - almost everytime I draw it out. Is it Prog? Metal? Jazz? Trance? Rock?

The album was started as a business project by drummer Terry Bozzio to help him make some money over winter. Bozzio was already a Superstar. He toured with Frank Zappa and recorded on many of his most famous albums; played for the band UK; made a video with Jeff Beck and Mick Jagger; and founded the band Missing Persons. Yet, as a drum instructor, his typical seminars running through spring and fall, and he often ran out of money in Winter.

His wife suggested collaborating with guitarist Steve Stevens (Billy Idol/Michael Jackson/Atomic Playboys), and they first met at a solo drum performance Bozzio did for the Drum Workshop at the House of Blues. They now needed a bassist, and while making a dream list, they put Tony Levin at the top of the list. They didn't think that Levin would join them being busy touring with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel - but he was not only very interested, he squeezed 4 days out of his busy schedule to work together.

So, this album was the result of 4 days in a studio with 3 guys who had never played together before - created by the "grace of the archetypes of our collective unconscious. The tracks came by either mapping out a few signposts or with very little discussion, and then allowing the muses to take control, and the tracks were recorded 'live'. No track took more than one or two takes." - so says the album notes.

When you listen to this album, just close your eyes and let the music take you away. Bozzio Levin Stevens: Black Light Syndrome

Get the gorgeous the vinyl in red with black splay. Or get the vinyl in blue with black splay. Or get both.

View attachment 16648

View attachment 16649

One of the best albums I own. In fact I will go so far as saying that fellow member here KeithR introduced that album to CES while hanging with me, my son and Marty approx 10 years ago. We went from room to room as Keith asked each vendor if they minded playing the track DUENDE on that album

Once it was played from room to room people came flocking into the room to hear what was playing. That album as a result went viral thanks to KeithR here and ultimately Phillip O'Hanlon got a copy of the album and he too was blown away by Duende which then showed up on one of Phillip's famous demo discs

IMO Duende will give any system a workout and will separate the men from the boys' systems

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One of the best albums I own. In fact I will go so far as saying that fellow member here KeithR introduced that album to CES while hanging with me, my son and Marty approx 10 years ago. We went from room to room as Keith asked each vendor if they minded playing the track DUENDE on that album

Once it was played from room to room people came flocking into the room to hear what was playing. That album as a result went viral thanks to KeithR here and ultimately Phillip O'Hanlon got a copy of the album and he too was blown away by Duende which then showed up on one of Phillip's famous demo discs

IMO Duende will give any system a workout and will separate the men from the boys' systems
As John Lennon said: "I guess we've passed the audition". Fabulous cut! System still standing!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It's not progressive rock (I don't think) but if you are a fan of progressive rock - Roger Waters, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, this album to me is a must-have. I find extremely difficult to classify and extremely enjoyable. It's a double LP and I will play all 4 sides - not always in the same order - almost everytime I draw it out. Is it Prog? Metal? Jazz? Trance? Rock?

The album was started as a business project by drummer Terry Bozzio to help him make some money over winter. Bozzio was already a Superstar. He toured with Frank Zappa and recorded on many of his most famous albums; played for the band UK; made a video with Jeff Beck and Mick Jagger; and founded the band Missing Persons. Yet, as a drum instructor, his typical seminars running through spring and fall, and he often ran out of money in Winter.

His wife suggested collaborating with guitarist Steve Stevens (Billy Idol/Michael Jackson/Atomic Playboys), and they first met at a solo drum performance Bozzio did for the Drum Workshop at the House of Blues. They now needed a bassist, and while making a dream list, they put Tony Levin at the top of the list. They didn't think that Levin would join them being busy touring with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel - but he was not only very interested, he squeezed 4 days out of his busy schedule to work together.

So, this album was the result of 4 days in a studio with 3 guys who had never played together before - created by the "grace of the archetypes of our collective unconscious. The tracks came by either mapping out a few signposts or with very little discussion, and then allowing the muses to take control, and the tracks were recorded 'live'. No track took more than one or two takes." - so says the album notes.

When you listen to this album, just close your eyes and let the music take you away. Bozzio Levin Stevens: Black Light Syndrome

Get the gorgeous the vinyl in red with black splay. Or get the vinyl in blue with black splay. Or get both.

View attachment 16648

View attachment 16649

Listened to it on Amazon. Sounded interesting, so I placed an order.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks for contributing, Jack! I'm exploring some of your choices, have downloaded some and going to hunt down vinyl!

Here's an album that I would play for Johnny, or any 50 year-old to 60's. A brand new, modern album, but with a nostalgic bent. If you grew up with music from as far back as the 50's - this album will sound instantly familiar and yet you just can't put your finger on it.

Girls: Father, Son, Holy Ghost is an album that sounds incredibly good, comfortably familiar, but also exceptionally new. The music hasn't been as popular for the younger generation (think the 20 to 30 year old), but it is a great example of how well-pressed and produced a modern rock band can achieve.

The vinyl (one white, one black) is dynamic, clean and the recording quality is exemplary. Instrumentation is distinct and well focused. Like the recording engineer really knew his mic placement, picked exactly the right microphone for every instrument and worked hard at getting it right.

The first track, Honey Bunny has me thinking of Pet Shop Boys..... may be - California rock for sure, and great music for Summer and a road trip. (Watch the video below and see if you agree.) Another track reminds me of Deep Purple, another of the Beatles, but still new, modern and fresh. Over four sides (it's a double LP) Girls' singer and songwriter Christopher Owens brings this album to life with lyrical songs about love and life and sex and friendship (but no drugs or rock and roll).

It is unfortunate that the band broke up in 2012 after this album.

Here's one of my favourite tracks on the album (hopefully it plays in around the world):

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
^^^Agreed Gary! This is a great LP. Here is my favorite track from the album which I've previously posted

In case you were wondering, the song title apparently 'was inspired by the Book of Proverbs aphorism "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" '

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Colour (sic) of Spring

Here's an older album that I will be bringing with me to demo at the California Audio Show in San Francisco in a couple of weeks.

I first heard of Talk Talk in the early '80s when I was in University in London. Talk Talk were part of the new wave of pop, and they had early pop hits such as "Today", "Dum Dum Girl", etc. A bit like synth-pop band Duran Duran - cringe-worthy, really.

However, in the mid-80s, they moved towards more experimental music. As they got more inventive, they became less commercial. Nevertheless, their first break-out album, Colour of Spring was a huge success for them. To me, it is the seminal album as it still had some elements of pop which makes the music attractive and the beginnings of their more progressive post-rock style which makes the music most interesting.

I don't think that there is a single weak song in the entire album. Each track has a different pulse and a different attractor - starting with the first track Happiness is Easy, taking us back to a simpler time 30 years ago. The childrens choir is beautiful and uplifting.

The Colour of Spring deserve a great system - so that you can clearly hear every word of Mark Hollis' singing, and you can hear the ethereal cloud of Steve Winwood's Hammond Organ in the background. A fabulous demo album when you are tired of the usual Dire Straits and Eagles.

Colour of Spring.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Music is life, and I love life. I cannot imagine a life without music, and that is the entire rationale behind my work in Genesis - the love and sharing of music.

This next album is likely to raise the heckles of some purists, but I don't care. Music should be shared with a passion!

Released in 1973 by the English progressive rock band Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon explored the themes of greed, conflict and time. With over 50 million copies sold, it is one of the best selling albums of all time, and Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album. It is still as popular today, and is often referred to as one of the greatest albums of all time. It is an album I love, and I have probably every single version of it - on LP, CD, and SACD with multiple re-issues of each.

DSotM has also spawned several tributes. This is what raises the heckles of purists - with some calling it a parody and an insult and likening it to "New Coke". However, I grew up with Pink Floyd, and if you gave it a chance, you will realize that the experience of listening to this album is ethereal.

Yes - this is Dub Side of the Moon! It features the house band of renown New York Dub label Easy Star Records, and is an ambitious and in my mind entirely successful take on Pink Floyd's psychedelic rock. It makes the surreal even more surreal with dub-style loops, slow reggae beats and atmospheric sounds.

In particular, listen to the opening track of side 2 - Money, instead of the sounds of cash registers and coins, it's the sound of bong hits, coughing and maniacal laughter. When I played the LP at a recent meeting of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society, I was almost trampled by members who wanted to see the album cover. Excellent music and excellent sound - a great demo album a little bit out of the ordinary.

Dub Side of the Moon.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hahahahahah I totally forgot about this one! Is this on LP?
It's indeed great!

alexandre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have another one for you Gary

London Grammar - If You Wait

I'd love to use a lot of the songs in here for a movie soundtrack.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have another one for you Gary

London Grammar - If You Wait

I'd love to use a lot of the songs in here for a movie soundtrack.

Yes - that's another great album. The vinyl is already in the shipment to San Francisco. I'll definitely be playing that.

Another one is the latest by Agnes Obel - Aventine.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nice find! Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing