Any fans of Symposium Acoustics here?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I do, a very satisfied user. What do you need to know?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Yes, but I've only heard 'em under higher-end Nottinghams w/non-Nott arms, although quite often.

I use a similar shelf u/turntable, very light & rigid, quick dissipation/damping, those exact same attributes reflected throughout my system (well, maybe not my amps). Had a similar product custom built for me years ago - company long out of business.

Some turntables thrive when put under these shelves. That Nott did ...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andre, as you know Peter is one of the most knowledgeable people in this business, and one of the friendliest/happiest to share. It would be great if he could participate.
I tried a fair number of products for isolation prior to Symposium, but to minimal effect eg Mana, Grand Prix, HRS, and was ready to give up on isolation as an area of interest until I got the chance to audition a Symposium Acoustics Isis stand, and got significantly improved results, incl. brilliant levelling/isolation to my tt which uses a v. sensitive linear tracking arm - the perfect levelness and Rollerblock isolation enables me to allow free horizontal displacement w/no disturbance of the arm. SOLD!
My next port of call is to isolate individual components w/a complement of Rollerblock 2 modules.
It would be great to get a counterpoint to the Stillpoints products which get so much coverage on this forum.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, as you know Peter is one of the most knowledgeable people in this business, and one of the friendliest/happiest to share. It would be great if he could participate.
I tried a fair number of products for isolation prior to Symposium, but to minimal effect eg Mana, Grand Prix, HRS, and was ready to give up on isolation as an area of interest until I got the chance to audition a Symposium Acoustics Isis stand, and got significantly improved results, incl. brilliant levelling/isolation to my tt which uses a v. sensitive linear tracking arm - the perfect levelness and Rollerblock isolation enables me to allow free horizontal displacement w/no disturbance of the arm. SOLD!
My next port of call is to isolate individual components w/a complement of Rollerblock 2 modules.
It would be great to get a counterpoint to the Stillpoints products which get so much coverage on this forum.

Spirit, to say Peter is knowledgeable and friendly would be an understatement. :D He is a very accomplished individual and his products
are just excellent.

Did you see this piece I wrote? I am quite proud of it because it it allows Peter to speak quite a bit in his own voice.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue73/symposium_shelves.htm

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've owned the Symposium Svelt Shelf for 7-8 years and have used it in various places...as my system has evolved.

it works well for resonance control in tight spaces, and is well built with stainless surfaces.

recently i emailed Peter to let him know it also works well to prevent noise from my digital player affecting my phono section inside my darTZeel preamp. i stacked my Playback Designs digtial on top of my dart pre so they both could benefit from my Herzan active isolation. the proximity of the two units added noise to the phono. i inserted the Svelt Shelf and no more noise.

Peter said he was not surprised to hear it worked that way, but had not thought to mention that in his product info.

and btw; i thought to email him as a result of your piece in Positive Feedback....figured he would want to know.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
i've owned the Symposium Svelt Shelf for 7-8 years and have used it in various places...as my system has evolved.

it works well for resonance control in tight spaces, and is well built with stainless surfaces.

recently i emailed Peter to let him know it also works well to prevent noise from my digital player affecting my phono section inside my darTZeel preamp. i stacked my Playback Designs digtial on top of my dart pre so they both could benefit from my Herzan active isolation. the proximity of the two units added noise to the phono. i inserted the Svelt Shelf and no more noise.

Peter said he was not surprised to hear it worked that way, but had not thought to mention that in his product info.

and btw; i thought to email him as a result of your piece in Positive Feedback....figured he would want to know.

Hi Mike:

Great story. Peter is very low key, and to be honest, a low key marketer too.

I too am using svelte shelves and rollerblocks. My favorite products are the rollerblock juniors.

I just recently decided to put one of my reel to reels on a svelte shelf with the couplers and was really surprised
at the improvement.

If there is enough interest, I would love for Peter to participate here.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Would it be too much of a downer for this thread to say I replaced Rollerblocks with Stillpoints SS (admittedly somewhat more expensive) under my speakers?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
recently fitted them under my TT/Amp/Speakers , very impresed

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andre, I run Zu Audio Definitions 4 spkrs, w/downfiring sub woofers, and they really benefit from removal of the stock spikes and resting on Symposium Rollerblock Jnrs. It's a little surreal watching these near 100kg cabinets wobble about the spot when you push them. As w/all things vibration control there initially seems to be a trade off in bass energy, but as you get used to the more neutral and stable soundstage that emerges w/the Rollerblock Jnrs you realise that it's not bass energy that's gone missing but layers of cloying euphonic colouration, replaced by bass that's more linear, extends deeper, and doesn't adulterate the midband nearly as much.
However this change in bass texture takes a little getting used to, fianally I really feel that the change is a massive impvt across the board.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, I run Zu Audio Definitions 4 spkrs, w/downfiring sub woofers, and they really benefit from removal of the stock spikes and resting on Symposium Rollerblock Jnrs. It's a little surreal watching these near 100kg cabinets wobble about the spot when you push them. As w/all things vibration control there initially seems to be a trade off in bass energy, but as you get used to the more neutral and stable soundstage that emerges w/the Rollerblock Jnrs you realise that it's not bass energy that's gone missing but layers of cloying euphonic colouration, replaced by bass that's more linear, extends deeper, and doesn't adulterate the midband nearly as much.
However this change in bass texture takes a little getting used to, fianally I really feel that the change is a massive impvt across the board.

I really like the Zu speakers. Really well made. Excellent observations, thanks for sharing. I think you nailed it in the change generally comes from the bottom up, so to speak.

I hear you on the wobbling, and I think anyone would be a bit apprehensive. Would the Svelte Shelves be a safer choice, with couplers, or direct with the spikes removed??

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andre, the wobble is limited and not self sustaining. Only a major force would push the spkrs off balance, but that would be the same w/spikes anyhow. Then again, I do live in a kid-free, pet-free environment!
I really do believe the partial decoupling prevents bass energies accumulating in the cabinet, but the hard materials involved (metal cup/ball bearing) maintain solid continuity of support.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, the wobble is limited and not self sustaining. Only a major force would push the spkrs off balance, but that would be the same w/spikes anyhow. Then again, I do live in a kid-free, pet-free environment!
I really do believe the partial decoupling prevents bass energies accumulating in the cabinet, but the hard materials involved (metal cup/ball bearing) maintain solid continuity of support.

Understood. Again, agree with your theory here.

FYI, i use Auralex platforms under my floorstanders, and that has made a huge difference in bass performance.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I always find that changes which predominantly alter bass performance the hardest to call. A recent amp demo made the bass much more powerful, but the spectrum was tilted down so that it dominated the sound, and I turned it down as a purchase.
The Symposium Rollerblock Jnrs under the spkrs were a lot more subtle in their effects, and listening over a few days revealed the change to be a ridding of distortion/colouration, and hence I've been happy to keep them.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I always find that changes which predominantly alter bass performance the hardest to call. A recent amp demo made the bass much more powerful, but the spectrum was tilted down so that it dominated the sound, and I turned it down as a purchase.
The Symposium Rollerblock Jnrs under the spkrs were a lot more subtle in their effects, and listening over a few days revealed the change to be a ridding of distortion/colouration, and hence I've been happy to keep them.

That has also been my experience...but under components, especially sources.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andre, you've got nothing to lose by trying Symposium isolation under your spkrs. The consensus w/Stillpoints in similar situations is that major gains are to be had w/spkrs. Suspect many would be smiling if they used Rollerblock Jnrs.
My main dilemma is whether to use "half" cups ie one of the pair of Jnrs, or both cups - my issue w/the Zus is that using both halves of the Jnr cup raises the spkr higher than nominal height w/factory spikes, and w/the floor-baseplate space being critical vis a vis the downfiring sub.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, you've got nothing to lose by trying Symposium isolation under your spkrs. The consensus w/Stillpoints in similar situations is that major gains are to be had w/spkrs. Suspect many would be smiling if they used Rollerblock Jnrs.
My main dilemma is whether to use "half" cups ie one of the pair of Jnrs, or both cups - my issue w/the Zus is that using both halves of the Jnr cup raises the spkr higher than nominal height w/factory spikes, and w/the floor-baseplate space being critical vis a vis the downfiring sub.
I will tell you what, you have inspired me to give it ago!

Yes, interesting consideration concerning speaker height!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing