Near-Field Listening: What Speaker Characteristics Make For the Best Experience?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It's not just room interaction. You also lose detail the farther away you are from the speakers. It gets degraded by the air it has to move through.

I like to sit around 8 ft from my speakers. Any farther and I lose too much detail for my taste. Closer than that the performers sound too close. It is a balance of priorities. This all comes down to personal preference. There is no right answer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tim is a musician so it is no surprise that he likes things "up close". I'm not a musician so I want to emulate what in my mind might be the best seat in the house. They are two very different perspectives. To say a far or even midfield perspective is not being true to the music to me is a crazy idea. Sort of dumb even. I don't know any musician worth his salt that plays for sound for sound's sake. Sound is the medium not the message.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
OK. I get it. I think your "distance" from the performers is defined by the recording far more than it is by the listening space or position, but I get it. And by the way, I wouldn't consider 6 feet near field. Less than four is more like it. My monitors sit a bit more than 3 ft from my ears. Toed in properly they image beautifully; close your eyes and they're gone. The distance I get from the performance varies broadly, depending on the recording. And 80dB @ 3ft is the same as 80dB @ 20 feet. It just takes moving a lot less air to get there. The difference is the amount of room interaction. I think you must have heard near field that was not set up properly, or speakers that would not cohere well in such a short distance.

P

I had no idea people listen to speakers, other than at their desk on a computer at three feet.

You are correct, I have never listened to high quality monitors at 3-4 feet.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim is a musician so it is no surprise that he likes things "up close". I'm not a musician so I want to emulate what in my mind might be the best seat in the house. They are two very different perspectives. To say a far or even midfield perspective is not being true to the music to me is a crazy idea. Sort of dumb even. I don't know any musician worth his salt that plays for sound for sound's sake. Sound is the medium not the message.

A fair point, jack. My listening position, at the "original event", is pretty close. In fact I prefer the sound during rehearsal to performance, where we basically play in a circle facing toward each other. It's a great perspective, and is likely an influence in my comfort with near field and headphone listening.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I had no idea people listen to speakers, other than at their desk on a computer at three feet.

You are correct, I have never listened to high quality monitors at 3-4 feet.

Pretty much the norm for mixing in the studio.

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The best near-field speakers I've heard are the PTE Phoenix and the Focal Twin6. Both of these speakers have been in my studio for extended listening sessions. I've had many speakers in here from Genelec, ADAM, KRK, Barefoot and Yamaha. The only complaint, if any, is the Focals can be fatigueing after 5-6hr. The best part about the Focals is that it is a front ported design and you can place them up against the front wall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing