Omega watches

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have an old 14k gold Omega watch from appx 1960's. It is very simple and it is not a constellation or similar. it is still IMHO a classic design... For the Omega collectors, can you tell me which one's
are collectable and why.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Dave, I collect wrist watches and Omega is definetly one great option to consider, it is in my personal top-5 list.

The Constellations, Seamasters and Speedmasters are very sought after models, Chronograph option and gold is a plus of course as well as Moon-Watch dials that are very rare.

Vintage is also a big plus, but be aware of fake models, there are quite a few out there.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Dave, I collect wrist watches and Omega is definetly one great option to consider, it is in my personal top-5 list.

The Constellations, Seamasters and Speedmasters are very sought after models, Chronograph option and gold is a plus of course as well as Moon-Watch dials that are very rare.

Vintage is also a big plus, but be aware of fake models, there are quite a few out there.

When you refer to Moon-Watch dials, can you post a photo?
I mentioned in other post that I received the original Speedmaster that came with expandable metal band from the 70's for my highschool graduation... I had it sent to the Omega factory in mid 80's, and they replaced it with a regular metal band. I always called it a Moon Watch since they were the ones that went to the moon! Is it still collectable?

Ki

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
The moon watch is a specific model of the Speedmaster Professional. It has a special crystal, requested by NASA, that is not supposed to break into bits on impact. The dial is black and the back has a fancy engraving that indicates that the watch is qualified for manned space missions.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I have a moon watch, Omega Model 3570.50 I think it is. The "crystal" is hesalite which doesn't shatter when the window on your space shuttle breaks and you are suddenly sucked out the window. :rolleyes: However, it does scratch easily.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Jay_s is correct, one can distinguish this model by the special work in the back, it is consider a collectable since it was a limited edition model ( not quite sure if the 007 is as well since there has been at least two iterations of this last one).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hopefully, my Omega isn't a fake as I have had it for nearly 40 years and it was given to me by my uncle who bought it new. It is very plain, doesn't have any writing on it except for the Omega name. There are no numerals on the face and the winder has the omega logo on it.
The back is plain with no writing etc. Amazingly, since there is no lettering or anything else, it gives the watch a more timeless look IMHO. The watch only has a second hand in addition to the hour and minute hands and that's all. Any ideas as to what model it is? It is definitely
not a moon watch or constellation I would think.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, I have never seen this watch on ebay or any other web site for that matter.It is amazing how timeless this watch seems to be.I will take a pic and we can see if they are the same.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Well, the Speedmaster Professional seems to getting a lot of admiration. I have a 1972 version of the "Moon Watch" with the "First Watch Worn On The Moon" engraved on the case back. Which means it is not really the moon watch which was not engraved and had a different movement. The engraving and the 861 movement came about a year after the Apollo 11 landing. Mine is the 145.022, with the 861 movement. It is perfect. It's amazing to me that a watch this old can still keep perfect time (if I can remember to wind it!) and its chronometer works just as it should.

I also have an Omega X7 Speedmaster Professional. This is a much later watch that was developed for the Space Shuttle missions. Many people call it the Mar's Watch. It is a digital multifunction watch, with analog hands, with just about every feature an astronaut could want. Both the case and the band are made from titanium. It has flown on many shuttle missions. It is a lovely watch. Because of its battery, the X7 is not qualified for extra-vehicular activity.

For that, the original Speedmaster Profesional, actually the one like mine with the later movement, is still used; still the only space qualified watch along with its predecessor model. In truth, the watch historians are not really clear which specific versions are currently used for space walks. The movement was changed again to the 1861 around 1990. The change was very minor. The 1861 is still the same basic movement as the 861. Both are excellent but I don't believe the 1861 was ever subjected to NASA's rigorous qualificaiton testing where as the 861 was qualification tested several times. So, I'm not sure if the 1861 is used in space. Probably it is. Pretty amazing history, huh?

Of the two watches, a choice is difficult. They are very different and appeal to different parts of my personality. I suppose, if I had to choose, it would be the earlier Moon Watch by a nose because of its historical significance and I think it is truly gorgeous.

Sparky

Last edited:

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI Jay,
Yes, thanks for the correction. I got my numbers crossed. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I just checked. Neither the box or the watch is so marked. I'm sure the manual is but I can't find it right now. Anyway, I know you are right.

Update: I found the manual and there is no mention of X-33 or any other model number except "Speedmaster Professional". So, no where in any official notatations is X-33 mentioned. BTW, this is the Gen 1 version. The only mention I can see is a handwritten note on the price tag, on the box, that says X-33. I guess the sales folks were confused too.

I do like the watch a lot. It is beautifully thought out and easy to use. So, while I can't seem to remember its name, it's a favorite of mine.

Embarrassing!! :eek:

Sparky

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing