6Moons New Policy: Support us, with ad revenue, and we will review your product.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Let's show professional courtesy to industry participants. Please focus on the topic than the person.

Habanero Monk

Jul 12, 2014
I like it. He does an excellent job making a difficult case. I really like what he says at the end about what they will or will not do for manufacturers.

This one is quite telling:

Measurements: we don't take any.

No crap. 6moons is a joke.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
It's pretty clear Srajan has drawn a line in the sand. In my estimation he has painted himself into a corner if the response is weak.

On crowdfunding, in general I do not believe it is in the best interests of the high end industry and consumers. One company doing so has pissed off a bunch of people by crowdfunding numerous projects while not delivering product in a timely manner, one person suggesting it starts to look like a Ponzi scheme.

On social media, I think this can work for low cost items but not for bigger ticket ones.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's pretty clear Srajan has drawn a line in the sand. In my estimation he has painted himself into a corner if the response is weak.

On crowdfunding, in general I do not believe it is in the best interests of the high end industry and consumers. One company doing so has pissed off a bunch of people by crowdfunding numerous projects while not delivering product in a timely manner, one person suggesting it starts to look like a Ponzi scheme.

On social media, I think this can work for low cost items but not for bigger ticket ones.

It's now been 8 months since I joined the Indiegogo campaign for the Geek Pulse. This was supposed to be ready for April....still no word. I'll never do it again!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It's now been 8 months since I joined the Indiegogo campaign for the Geek Pulse. This was supposed to be ready for April....still no word. I'll never do it again!

Johnny, I am not a fan at all of crowd funding audio products, but I must say I was surprised at the amount of money LH Labs raised and how well
it was received.

To be fair, they do have 72 updates on their website and they claim shipping of the first units will begin this week.

I totally understand your frustration and delivering late is par for the course. None of these projects have shipped on time.

I have only crowd funded one thing so far..I contributed to the recording of the new Dengue Fever album on Pledge Music :D.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
This one is quite telling:

Measurements: we don't take any.

No crap. 6moons is a joke.

I don't think you can dismiss a site on the grounds of whether or not it chooses to measure the products it tests. This largely comes down to the type of readership you aim for. I've worked in a measurement-based and a non-measurment environment in audio, and they pull in very different enthusiasts, with equally valid priorities.

For my part, I made the jump because I felt the audio publishing world is getting a little too 'Automotive Engineering International' and not 'Top Gear' enough for today's readers. I feel demanding that people go through a course in audio engineering before they decide what amplifier to buy is asking a lot of busy professionals in other fields. I also think that a lot of the measurement published by a magazine is not understood by the readership at large, who treat published measurement as an elaborate game of Go Fish. That might seem a harsh assessment of the readership in general, but having spent years trying to promote a wider understanding of measurement in a measurement-led magazine, I feel entirely justified in making that assessment.

That is not a criticism of the measurement-based environment however, and I strongly think the two should co-exist.

It's also worth noting Srajan shares the same concern faced many of us who routinely don't publish measurement, in that he has reviewers who do measure the products they test in the review process. Usually, the resolution to this is to fold the measurements into the review text (as opposed to breaking them out into a 'tech box'). For my part, I find it strange that someone who says "the impedance hovered around six ohms throughout, except for a dip to 1.9ohms at 93Hz" in the body copy is dismissed as so much subjective nonsense, where the same thing plotted on a graph in a side-bar is science incarnate.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I personally find it to be a nice alternative from the measurement-laden pages of the competition. Seems to me that both have their merits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing