Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 6Moons New Policy: Support us, with ad revenue, and we will review your product.

6Moons New Policy: Support us, with ad revenue, and we will review your product.

A must read piece by 6Moons head honcho Srajan Ebaen.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/why/why.html

To have a review on *** 6Moons website, you must now, as a
    manufacturer, purchase advertising in a show of support.

He makes, IMO, some very, very good arguments.

Your thoughts?

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Marc View Post
    A must read piece by 6Moons head honcho Srajan Ebaen.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/why/why.html

To have a review on *** 6Moons website, you must now, as a
    manufacturer, purchase advertising in a show of support.

He makes, IMO, some very, very good arguments.

Your thoughts?
    he does indeed.

Last time I looked, working for free is not conducive to one's sanity.

Amir and I have had the same experiences and launched a "donate" button several months ago to help defer costs. Thanks to all who have offered their help.

I understand where he is coming from
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Industry Affiliation........Lamm Dealer
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    he does indeed.

Last time I looked, working for free is not conducive to one's sanity.

Amir and I have had the same experiences and launched a "donate" button several months ago to help defer costs. Thanks to all who have offered their help.

I understand where he is coming from
    Excellent comment. Working for free doesn't do much for one's bank account either, sanity not withstanding.

Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    I like it. He does an excellent job making a difficult case. I really like what he says at the end about what they will or will not do for manufacturers.
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I like it. He does an excellent job making a difficult case. I really like what he says at the end about what they will or will not do for manufacturers.
    Agree. Everything is fully out in the light of day.

Srajan is a superb writer and a very, very astute listener. Some find his prose dense, but when you dig through it, I find his descriptions of
    gear I have heard extremely accurate.

He is very honest about product shortcomings, according to his taste, and there is no way I believe he will be compromised.

The fact is he is right, a review on his site is basically free advertising, whether he raves about it or not.

Lastly, it also filters out the pretenders. If you are a real company with a real product, put some skin in the game.

Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    In my day job, I always advertise when magazines offer to write about us. I sometimes receive resistance internally as far as expense but then I ask them how much a multi-page, color ad would cost and folks become quiet .
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Addicted to Best!
    Ballsy move, I'll give Srajan that ... especially considering the inevitable "slippery slope" debates sure to follow.

This is certainly an item the rest of the industry will be watching closely, but for those of us (or perhaps I'm the only one) who already find the navigation routes of 6balloons frustrating beyond its existing advertising ...

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Ballsy move, I'll give Srajan that ... especially considering the inevitable "slippery slope" debates sure to follow.

This is certainly an item the rest of the industry will be watching closely, but for those of us (or perhaps I'm the only one) who already find the navigation routes of 6balloons frustrating beyond its existing advertising ...
    I have to agree. The website is an absolute mess. Tough to navigate.

Addicted to Best! Phelonious Ponk's Avatar
    He makes his case well, and if he has thought it through that carefully, and lived up to it informally all the years he's been in business, he can probably do even better with the relationship codified. Journalistic ethics have never been a problem at 6Moons IMO. Credibility is. It is exemplified by the photos in this article. 6Moons is a purely subjective site. They won't measure. But, evidently, they won't listen in decent rooms either. It's one thing to listen in a "normal" domestic space with rugs and over-stuffed furniture and lots of natural diffusers. It's not an ideal thing, but it's what most listeners get and, therefore, a legitimate choice. But look at the rooms in those pictures. Look at the speaker placements. Half of them are acoustic nightmares. They are listening in those rooms and writing purely subjective reviews based on that listening. In some of those cases, they don't really have any idea what they're listening to. Half the time I stop by that site and read a review, its credibility is destroyed by the pictures of the listening space, and the credibility of the writing staff is destroyed by the fact that they evidently don't know any better. I'm not demanding room treatments, even. Just decent speaker placement and a lack of obviously noisy, reflective, parallel surfaces unacceptably close to the speakers would be a good start. I wouldn't set up mics and record guitar and voice in those rooms. Review hifi at realistic volume? Not responsibly.

Tim
    Last edited by Phelonious Ponk; 07-22-2014 at 05:00 AM.
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Living on the east coast of Fla and loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    He makes his case well, and if he has thought it through that carefully, and lived up to it informally all the years he's been in business, he can probably do even better with the relationship codified. Journalistic ethics have never been a problem at 6Moons IMO. Credibility is. It is exemplified by the photos in this article. 6Moons is a purely subjective site. They won't measure. But, evidently, they won't listen in decent rooms either. It's one thing to listen in a "normal" domestic space with rugs and over-stuffed furniture and lots of natural diffusers. It's not an ideal thing, but it's what most listeners get and, therefore, a legitimate choice. But look at the rooms in those pictures. Look at the speaker placements. Half of them are acoustic nightmares. They are listening in those rooms and writing purely subjective reviews based on that listening. In some of those cases, they don't really have any idea what they're listening to. Half the time I stop by that site and read a review, its credibility is destroyed by the pictures of the listening space, and the credibility of the writing staff is destroyed by the fact that they evidently don't know any better. I'm not demanding room treatments, even. Just decent speaker placement and a lack of obviously noisy, reflective, parallel surfaces unacceptably close to the speakers would be a good start. I wouldn't set up mics and record guitar and voice in those rooms. Review hifi at realistic volume? Not responsibly.

Tim
    Well I must ask, have you seen any other pictures of say those that review on Stereophile like JA or Kal or anyone else for that matter that reviews on a on-site or mag ? just wondering .
    I'm just thrilled someone somewhere is actually reviewing audio equipment instead of reading an (1) owners opinion on a forum or a manufacturers (trust me) praise of their own equipment. Subjective or Objective at least someone is reviewing something.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast