Compression Sucks The Life Out Of Every Note

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A film by Harman - about the evils of compression. However, they talk only about mp3 compression with no mention of dynamic range compression (which I think is even more evil).

Nice conclusion though.

Hey Gary:

(First, congrats on the great 5.3 review!)

I totally agree that lossy compression is a music killer. However, it is perfectly suitable for portable, on the go listening
on iDevices etc.

I believe there is no reason for mp3 or aac to even exist for PURCHASE. I believe lossless should be the only thing a consumer
should be offered. It takes seconds to make your own lossy files, at the bit rate you choose, which is exactly what I do for my iPhone
and car.

Second topic. Dynamic range compression can be an ESSENTIAL tool for making a recording sound like the actual event. That may
sound odd considering all the propaganda against it, but it is true. Microphones pick up sound far differently than the human ear.
I have been using compression very, very tastefully on a few analog tapes I have been transferring to 192 Khz, and it has improved
the musical experience.

This may sound strange, but a recording can have TOO much dynamic range, where the soft sounds are super quiet and
the loud sounds are ear crushing.

It is a romantic notion to have a purist recording with no compression, but it does not work every time.

All that being said, like any other tool, it can be and IS abused!!!

If you are a rock an pop fan of the classic days, compression IS the sound of rock and roll, as Bob Ludwig says.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
All that being said, like any other tool, it can be and IS abused!!!

If you are a rock an pop fan of the classic days, compression IS the sound of rock and roll, as Bob Ludwig says.

Thanks, Andre. I agree. It's a little like feedback - there's always the right amount. Too much or too little can be a bad thing.

Nevertheless, I do have a few un-compressed recordings that sound fabulous.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks, Andre. I agree. It's a little like feedback - there's always the right amount. Too much or too little can be a bad thing.

Nevertheless, I do have a few un-compressed recordings that sound fabulous.

Exactly! I also have some "uncompressed" recordings, but to get that right, everything has to be done perfectly. It is not easy.
There are so many variables, but when you do nail, it, it is glorious.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thank you to BOTH of you for a great video.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing