Magico S5's in the house...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But yes, you need to reeducate your ears for a few months, and then there is no way back to ported.

IMHO if we need a few months education to appreciate something in sound reproduction the problem is in the equipment, not in the listener. YMMV.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well I continue to see if I can get used to the radically different bass on the S5's.

I take back what I said about the bass rolling off. It does go down deep and on certain material there's no shortage of bass. It is impressive that it can go so low and clean without a port.

stereo's suggestion that Wilson's bass hump between 80 and 100k is responsible for the perception that they have more bass. I would have thought it was lower than that.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yes I agree, that logic means people will get used to water boarding and spill their guts in a month or two...lol

I think water boarding only works when you're not used to it.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
stereo's suggestion that Wilson's bass hump between 80 and 100k is responsible for the perception that they have more bass. I would have thought it was lower than that.

I tink Stereo is incorrect.

Personal attack comment "edited". This is not a Wilson vs. Magico thread. None of us can tell MadFloyd what he does/should like. Offer hypotheses or await more listening observations, but don't attack other members for their opinion.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I tink Stereo is incorrect.

Personal attack comment "edited". This is not a Wilson vs. Magico thread. None of us can tell MadFloyd what he does/should like. Offer hypotheses or await more listening observations, but don't attack other members for their opinion.

Lee

I'm not trying to say what MadFloyd should like. I take issue with Stereo's usual incorrect Wilson attacks. It's all about your sound flavor choice preference. That said sorry for getting personal.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I'm not trying to say what MadFloyd should like. I take issue with Stereo's usual incorrect Wilson attacks. It's all about your sound flavor choice preference. That said sorry for getting personal.

I watch you and some of your Wilson buddies derail many Magico threads. Usually without adding any valuable information that can enhance anyone knowledge.
I don’t see any Magico fans doing the same on Wilson threads. Before we get this thread shut down, I would ask if you can find it within you to simply stay on your side of the track.
We all know your position, there is no need to inject it over and over again.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I watch you and some of your Wilson buddies derail many Magico threads. Usually without adding any valuable information that can enhance anyone knowledge.
I don’t see any Magico fans doing the same on Wilson threads. Before we get this thread shut down, I would ask if you can find it within you to simply stay on your side of the track.
We all know your position, there is no need to inject it over and over again.

really ? Any Magico thread I have seen usually has a bunch of their fanboys bringing up Wilson first. This thread is unique since Floyd now has both magico and Wilson. Your hands are far from clean. Cheers !

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
IMHO if we need a few months education to appreciate something in sound reproduction the problem is in the equipment, not in the listener. YMMV.

It is better than spending 20 years trying to correct what is not correctable (A Wilson frustrated (ex)owner for that long);)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

I remember when I was a young adult, I had speakers that were built by a friend of mine. He didn't really know what he was doing and they didn't sound very good - hardly audiophile. At the time I had no money for speakers and was happy to have them.

A few years later I bought my own pair of speakers. I purchased them from a good audio shop and didn't really audition the. I simply took the advice of a salesman (whom I happened to know and trust). He warned me that they were considered pretty flat and it might take me a while to get used to them.

He was right. At first I thought they were pretty bland sounding. I listened to music as a whole back then, not individual instruments. I just cared that there was bass and that they played Deep Purple and other classic rock nice and loud. Later when I started playing bass I started to appreciate my flat speakers as I could follow bass guitar lines. I still like a solid foundation, but if it's muddy or boomy in any way I'm not very engaged.

All this to say that if you're attuned to a certain sound, especially if it has emphasis in certain frequency ranges - or even distortion, it can take you a while to adjust when you hear a system without those characteristics.

After all, think of the occasional young drivers who pass by with a zillion subs in their car and super hot treble - i.e. anything but a flat frequency response. We wouldn't say that their inability to enjoy a flat presentation was the fault of the gear, would we?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I remember when I was a young adult, I had speakers that were built by a friend of mine. He didn't really know what he was doing and they didn't sound very good - hardly audiophile. At the time I had no money for speakers and was happy to have them.

A few years later I bought my own pair of speakers. I purchased them from a good audio shop and didn't really audition the. I simply took the advice of a salesman (whom I happened to know and trust). He warned me that they were considered pretty flat and it might take me a while to get used to them.

He was right. At first I thought they were pretty bland sounding. I listened to music as a whole back then, not individual instruments. I just cared that there was bass and that they played Deep Purple and other classic rock nice and loud. Later when I started playing bass I started to appreciate my flat speakers as I could follow bass guitar lines. I still like a solid foundation, but if it's muddy or boomy in any way I'm not very engaged.

All this to say that if you're attuned to a certain sound, especially if it has emphasis in certain frequency ranges - or even distortion, it can take you a while to adjust when you hear a system without those characteristics.

After all, think of the occasional young drivers who pass by with a zillion subs in their car and super hot treble - i.e. anything but a flat frequency response. We wouldn't say that their inability to enjoy a flat presentation was the fault of the gear, would we?

Nailed it. Perfect. Congrats, MadFloyd.

I haven't played bass (or any instrument) in forever, but I know the sound. And it was a revelation when I could, all of a sudden, perfectly hear the bass lines, even in the middle of LOUD COMPRESSED passages of progressive rock, with a zillion of other instruments. Or how you can hear the perfect attack of a Rickenbacker bass (see the new Yes re-mixes for some incredible detail in old recordings).

My take is that Wilson is all about that bass hump, with lots of overhang, and no speed. And, as you perfectly pointed out, you get used to that, and anything different than that is, well, not good enough.

alexandre

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Here's one thing I agree with you. It's all about flavouring!
Some people like their sound with LOTS of it. And some like it with very, very little added to it.

alexandre

Havenhearth

May 20, 2013
Previous Response

Hi Ian,

I'm fuming, because I spent over an hour writing down fairly comprehensive thoughts and suggestions for your present quandary, submitted it, and it hasn't shown up on the forum. WTH?

I don't have time to reconstruct that, unfortunately, but it was a lot of time invested in the Emperor's New Clothes, apparently. Thanks to WBF staff!

Frustrating!

Hope you're making progress on your setup.

Very Best,

David

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Ian,

I'm fuming, because I spent over an hour writing down fairly comprehensive thoughts and suggestions for your present quandary, submitted it, and it hasn't shown up on the forum. WTH?

I don't have time to reconstruct that, unfortunately, but it was a lot of time invested in the Emperor's New Clothes, apparently. Thanks to WBF staff!

Frustrating!

Hope you're making progress on your setup.

Very Best,

David

If this is the post it is very much here.....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...s-in-the-house&p=277851&viewfull=1#post277851

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
peter, when you tried the JLs, did you roll the LFs to the minis or were they running full range? if the former, no disagreements, as a passive xover is about as obvious as a fart in church when speakers are as transparent as magicos are.

but re: an earlier ?, yes, i'm running S3s w/ JL F110s (two) and have very very good and satisfying sound these days.

I don't really understand the question. We did nothing to the minis and tried every conceivable setting on the JL subs, including rotating each a full 360 and listening every 20 degrees or so. On the subs, we tried the phase dial, the volume dial, the cut off dial. They just could not integrate fully with the Minis. If you check out my room photos, you may notice that there is a space to either side of my fireplace that perhaps contributed to the difficulty of integrating the subs.

I'll reiterate. The sound did improve in terms of bass weight and extension, but it was at the expense of midrange clarity. I chose the latter.

Congratulations on the S3.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont agree with that, imo it has to do with the stiffnes (non absorbing ) housingmaterial, X over filter out lay and probably amp speakermatching, the wilsons might be an easier load and sound more jumpy its rather a plus then a negative imo as where reproduced music falls short versus the real thing is at first livelike (micro)dynamics i doubt you will see much in the fr response did you use the same amps madfloyd ??
Gat yourself an RTA app and look at the region these notes are jumping at you. You will soon notice that they do jump, on everything you listen to (perhaps not in the same intensity as they do with a sax). It is not dynamic range, it is uneven power response. Once you “hear” that coloration, it is all over ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing