SHM Platinum Discs , how much better ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here is some good information on the SHM/Platinum SHM.

Most, if not ALL of the standard Japanese SHM discs are the identical masterings to domestic releases here and the UK.

The so called Super High Material is purported to have sonic benefits, which are ultimately useless if you are ripping to a server.

The PLATINUM series is a different animal. These are made with the following method:
DSD transfer of flat master tape>176.4/2>Mastering>44.1 for CD.

I have found most of them to be much quieter and more dynamic that their standard "remastered" counterparts
although a bit more laid back and less exciting in some cases.

I have probably around 30-40 Platinum and around 100 SHM discs.

great to know. Thanks!

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
The so called Super High Material is purported to have sonic benefits, which are ultimately useless if you are ripping to a server.

So a cd-player like mine, a Lindemann 825, who plays from memory buffering of the data doesn't have the sonic benefits from "The so called Super High Material" disc?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
So a cd-player like mine, a Lindemann 825, who plays from memory buffering of the data doesn't have the sonic benefits from "The so called Super High Material" disc?

It may very well, you would have to compare the SHM and non SHM version of the title to really know, but I would not rule out the fact your player could benefit.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
You should try both but I would think you would. My Cary has a buffer and it was certainly sensitive to better quality CD's.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels

It may very well, you would have to compare the SHM and non SHM version of the title to really know, but I would not rule out the fact your player could benefit.

But you said the SHM-CD's sonic benefits are ultimately useless if you are ripping to a server. So what's the difference between a cd-player who plays from memory buffering of the data and a PC/Mac cd/dvd-rom reading the same data but putting them on a hdd?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
But you said the SHM-CD's sonic benefits are ultimately useless if you are ripping to a server. So what's the difference between a cd-player who plays from memory buffering of the data and a PC/Mac cd/dvd-rom reading the same data but putting them on a hdd?

Totally different scenario. In you case, even with memory buffering the tracks are still being read by an optical drive. This is where the supposed benefits of SHM are.

Sever playback has so many variables it is beyond comprehension. Are you using a network? SSD drive? HDD drive? Audirvana? Jriver?

In my case, I use a NAS vis Ethernet and a number of streamers from Simaudio, SOtM, Byrston etc.

Once the file was ripped to my NAS, no laser touches it ever after.

As I said, in your case there many very well be benefits.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Totally different scenario. In you case, even with memory buffering the tracks are still being read by an optical drive. This is where the supposed benefits of SHM are.

Sever playback has so many variables it is beyond comprehension. Are you using a network? SSD drive? HDD drive? Audirvana? Jriver?

In my case, I use a NAS vis Ethernet and a number of streamers from Simaudio, SOtM, Byrston etc.

Once the file was ripped to my NAS, no laser touches it ever after.

As I said, in your case there many very well be benefits.

Just done a test with an SHM-CD ripped with XLD to a Macbook Pro SSD using Jriver and the same SHM-CD played back from my cd-player. Macbook Pro is connected to the dac of the cd-player. No sound difference...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just done a test with an SHM-CD ripped with XLD to a Macbook Pro SSD using Jriver and the same SHM-CD played back from my cd-player. Macbook Pro is connected to the dac of the cd-player. No sound difference...

That is actually very good news. :D

Those results can be interpreted a number of ways.

But to get back to the original question, you would have to have the NON SHM title of that CD on hand.

A good test are the Genesis releases, which are the identical digital mastering on the SHM and domestic releases.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
That is actually very good news. :D

Those results can be interpreted a number of ways.

But to get back to the original question, you would have to have the NON SHM title of that CD on hand.

A good test are the Genesis releases, which are the identical digital mastering on the SHM and domestic releases.

I only have the Japanese 1970-75 SACD/DVD boxset from Genesis...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing