SHM Platinum Discs , how much better ?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Has anybody tried the SHM Platinum series CD's ? They are supposed to be a flat transfer , no processing , compression , noise shaping etc from the original analogue master tape . Wonder if they are worth the extra ...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Has anybody tried the SHM Platinum series CD's ? They are supposed to be a flat transfer , no processing , compression , noise shaping etc from the original analogue master tape . Wonder if they are worth the extra ...

Jazzhead, I have a couple of dozen of the these SHM Platinum discs. They are generally superb. Most of them are cut from flat DSD transfers of master tapes
in the U.K. I don't believe the SHM material has anything to do with it, it is just very good mastering and higher than usual quality optical disc manufacturing.

It is hard to say they are "better", but they are a good product. Expensive as hell.

Hope this helps.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Andre thanks , have put in an order for a few ... Will update once done listening .. Cheers

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Jazz, if any of those SHM Platinum discs you ordered are RBCD's I would also be interested in hearing your f'back :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Queen : Night at the Opera
Dire Straits : Dire Straits
Supertramp: Breakfast in America
The Police: Regatta De Blanc
Rolling Stones : It's Only Rock n Roll
Steely Dan : Gaucho

Also a batch of Blue Spec and Regular SHM-CD 's . So should be able to compare basic SQ.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
As far as I know, the only available SACD of the Aja album is SHM from Japan. It's good but to be perfectly honest my 1978 LP sounds better...right Mark?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
As far as I know, the only available SACD of the Aja album is SHM from Japan. It's good but to be perfectly honest my 1978 LP sounds better...right Mark?

Great titles. I have the Queen and Dire Straits ones too.

FYI, I have not been impressed by the BluRay spec discs.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

You mean those Pure Audio BD's? What is it that you're not impressed with?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No, those are very good!!!! I have about a dozen. I meant the BluRay Spec Redbook CDs from Japan.

Ahhh! Thanks for the clarification!:)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

What was is it with the BlueRay discs that didn't hit the spot ? Not an upgrade from regular RBCD then ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What was is it with the BlueRay discs that didn't hit the spot ? Not an upgrade from regular RBCD then ?

A RedBook CD is a RedBook CD. The only differences you'll find is the mastering and/or how the transport handles the data.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A RedBook CD is a RedBook CD. The only differences you'll find is the mastering and/or how the transport handles the data.

Yep, but look how many spins they have put on it! 20 Bit Super Mapping, XRCD, SHM, Platinum SHM, Gold Discs, BkuSpec, and the list goes on.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Don't forget the Glass CD . 1000 bucks or so a pop .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Don't forget the Glass CD . 1000 bucks or so a pop .

Have you ever heard one? I have spoken with 2 people who have and they were very impressed (though not enough to buy one!). Just curious. I am told there is a glass CD version of Glenn Gould Goldberg Variations...I think Audio Technique or Roy Gregory wrote about Glass CDs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing